How do you know it's time?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had MVR in 2006. Now I have moderate/severe aortic insufficiency (caused by the MVP that went undiagnosed for months), and am becoming more symptomatic. It's harder to run a longer agility course 'cause I get short of breath. I cough some at night, and this week am coughing sometimes during the day. I also feel "wet" lungs from time to time, just like before the MVR. Even with lasix and a salt-free diet.
No symptom is severe, but since I recognize what I'm feeling, I notice it.

My cardio is also watching me every 6 months, but my LV has not enlarged. For me, he says it's waiting for more severe symptoms (like the daytime cough and wet lungs this week) and/or signs of LV enlargement however slight. It's a balancing act - risk of surgery v. risk of no surgery. Given the rate at which my symptoms are creeping up, and the last 2 echos, I'm not really expecting to get more than 18 months more before AVR surgery. He won't risk permanent damage to my LV.

Thanks all for the feedback! I have an aneurysm at the aortic root measuring 4.6 cm causing the Aortic Insufficiency. I guess it will be by the "numbers" for now. My cardiologist put me on Caduet (Lipitor and Norvasc). The Norvasc is supposed to have some protective effects pre and post operatively.

I think you need to make that decision for yourself. When I was diagnosed with BAV and a 4.8cm aneurysm, I was 56. I thought, why wait? I'm only going to get older, and... how will I know when I get to that 5.0cm magic number, will I have medical insurance? Essentially, you need to take care of yourself, 'cause no one else will. It's not just about the aneurysm...it's also about timing!

Hope this helps.
Lilly

Latest posts

Back