How do I go about getting my own home testing INR device?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abecall98

Hi everybody. I am new here. I am a 24 year old engineering student too. I am curious to know how I get my own home testing device. I am still under my parents insurance, so that is not a problem. I want to be able to test at home, so I don't have to continuously go out of my way to just check my INR.

I notice a few of you users on here have your own testing devices. How do I get one?

One more random question. Do any of you wear those medical bracelets stating you are on Coumadin in case of an accident? How do I go around getting a good one? I have a pamphlet from the Hospital, but they don't mention coumadin. Any help would be great. I am 4 weeks Post Op, and look forward to learning more from all of you.

If you're working with insurance, you probably need a prescription for the device. The device manufacturers (Alere - which now manufactures the InRatio tester) or Roche, which makes the CoaguChek XS, and maybe ITC (which makes the ProTime meter), should be able to help you. Alere and Philips provide a service that sends you meter and supplies -- but seems to charge the insurance a LOT - and you'll probably have a pretty high co-pay.

It's probably best to get your OWN meter -- and some here have bought their meters and had insurance pay a healthy portion of the cost. Others here will probably have better advice.

(Personally, without insurance, I was able to buy my meters on eBay, and the meters work fine.)

As far as a MedicAlert bracelet -- this is definitely a good idea. I have a medallion on a chain around my neck that I ordered at Walgreen's. You may be able to order online or get an order form at a pharmacy -- or you can go for the real deal and get a real MedicAlert bracelet or necklace. (I had the back of one of my cell phones engraved with the words 'I Take Coumadin' and my wife's phone number -- I also now have a case for my current phone that has the same information. The idea is to have something that the EMTs would find quickly if there was ever a reason why this would be needed).

If your INR stays in range, you may not be at extreme risk of bleeding, but it's always good to have this identification readily available.

I would start with either Alere or Roche - look on line for the application form and contact numbers. They will guide you through the process of contacting the MD for an order, and contacting your insurance. Often insurance agencies have a provider the prefer to contract through, but I have had difficulties calling the insurance company to ask. They often confuse this with blood glucose finger sticks, which in my case are covered through pharmacy not durable medical equipment, and so I was repeatedly misdirected. Alere was very helpful in getting the right info. I got my first machine through BC/BS, they preferred to buy the machine for me. Now I have a new job, and my insurance is with Humana. They prefer to lease the machine. Either way works. How expensive your share will be is dependent on your insurance. Mine has covered the machine lease and strips 100%, nothing out of pocket for me, but that isn't the case for everyone. Also, be aware that you may not be eligable for approval until you have been on warfarin for 90 days. Since many people are only anticoagulated for a short time after surgeries, they want to weed them out and only provide a home machine if you will need testing for the long term. I will also caution you to be prepared to be patient & persistent. Seems like this process often drawn out!

As for MedicAlert - many places offer bracelet, and fairly inexpensively. MedicAlert's additional service is maintaining a data base with your physician's contact info, medications, diagnosis, etc. Your ID number is on the back of the bracelet. They will communicate that info when called, even to hospitals out of the country. I bought their service because I travel quite a bit, and liked the idea that in an emergency, even if I couldn't speak, the hospital could get my health information. But if you don't need or want that service, you might as well save some money and just get a simple bracelet. I would suggest that you also indicate why you take coumadin (ex: coumadin - AVR, or coumadin - afib, etc).

Like Lynette, I have a MedicAlert bracelet. Mine looks like this:

http://www.medicalert.org/shop/medi...all-Two-Tone-Stretch-Band-Medical-ID-Bracelet

I like it because it's attractive, discreet and often mistaken for either a watch or an astrological sign on the face.
Other than people who mistake it for a watch, I've only been asked about it once -- from another patient at my doctor's office. He then showed me his MedicAlert bracelet.
I wear it all the time, except when showering or swimming. I judge cat shows, which puts a lot of eyes on my hands while I handle cats.
MedicAlert also provides a sticker for your car window.

I got my first INR monitor through QAS, which has become Alere. Three years ago I wanted a unit smaller than the ProTime 3 that I had, so I turned again to QAS to get an INRatio. Many of my internet friends had the INRatio, and because Roche had some issues with testing strips and stopped production for about 6-12 months a number of years ago, I went with INRatio.
As has already been stated, you need to check your insurance EOB to see how much it will cover DME.
With leases, sometimes it's a service you are getting -- where you have to call in results to the provider, which in turn contacts your doctor's office. I haven't had to deal with that. My PCP has several other warfarin patients doing home-testing, and because we had a 20+ year relationship when I got my first tester, it was easy to move into self-adjustment. My file at my PCP's office has a copy of the algorithm chart I use.
I save a lot of sick-leave time testing at home. My doctor's office hours are 8AM-4PM, and my workday is 8AM-5PM. I test weekly, and you can see how much time I save by not having to knock off work early 1 to 4 times a month. Plus I am able to test more frequently should I need to go on/off any meds or prior to certain medical procedures, such as getting down to 2.5 for a colonoscopy. I would have to schedule additional INR tests at my doctor's office.

We have some good threads here on VR regarding Medical Alert jewelry. Try doing a search with those words.

My choice was the silver bracelet registered with MedicAlert for a small annual fee.
The back is engraved with---mechanical aortic valve---anticoagulated.
there is a hot line phone number to contact my doctors, surgeon, family, listing of meds, etc.
I can pass out anywhere and have all my med info easily accessible. :)

Back