how did you FEEL six weeks post op ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Scottie

Just wondering how you really felt ..still in shock ?..or happy to be alive ?...down or depressed ?....trying to find out if I'm the odd one out or not . If you felt depressed did you seek treatment with your DR or just put up with it ...and how do you know you felt depressed and not just down ?
Just trying to work something out here
Thanks
Scottie

I felt most of what you describe: "still in shock ?..or happy to be alive ?...down or depressed." Those are all accurate descriptions, expecially (for me) the first two, still in shock, and happy to be alive. Everyone has some depression. Mine was not severe enough to seek treatment, but others have sought treatment; that depends on you and how severe it is. I was mostly overwhelmed that I had gone through something that most people could not conceive of -- but I hadn't found this site yet.

Made my first long car trip

Made my first long car trip

At 6 weeks. Just had to go see my Dady, age 88 and I hadn't seen since Mama died...Felt pretty good. But I had my daughter, sister and hubby with me. 6 hour trip..one way..but Scottie, There will be days WAY after surgery that you will feel good one day and miserable the next. That's how recovery from open-heart surgery is..but don't feel alone..Just push yourself thru the days with light housework..naps, a little driving. Things do get better...Explain to the family how you really feel. Don't keep things from them...I did not like to be in crowds...and feel free to use the mobile wheelchairs.. I did..in stores. Don't do like me and get lazy with the walking. We have hot summers in Ga..and I quit walking..I mean I'm out the door again tomorrow.:D :cool: I'm seven months post-op..no problems..The only thing that I have noticed..I don't care for T.V..rather be on computer or just go to bed at night:D :D Take care and chat often. Bonnie

At six weeks, I was still in CSICU and rather well drugged. I guess I can't comment on this one. :eek:

Scottie,

I am someone who you might call a perennial optimist. I don?t think I ever felt truly depressed but there have been occasions when I do feel sorry for myself. I guess if I dwelled on it long enough I might get depressed.

When I do get down I think of what the alternative might be and then things don?t seem so bad. I am alive, I have a great wife, wonderful kids, and a fulfilling job so I ask myself ?What?s the problem?? As for life changes after surgery, I am exercising daily and feeling really good about it, I grew a beard and I also gave up drinking and yes I miss my glass of wine at night but I figure it was wasted calories and rather expensive.

So Scottie, if you are in a down mood I hope it is short lived and nothing major.

Walter

At six weeks, I was very discouraged to still be as sick as I was. I also had complications, so I was not your typical heart surgery patient. I was suffering from denial at the outcome of my surgery. I was trying to accept that I had a mechanical valve and not my own, repaired valve. I was asking a lot of "why me?" questions and feeling sorry for myself.

My husband and daughters, on the other hand, were looking at the picture differently. They were glad I was alive! I have since tried to change my perspective and look for the positive like they do. I am thankful now, that I am able to get out of bed, and go to work! I have come a long way since May of 2001.

Things do get better. It just takes time.

Scottie,

First time I have posted for a while. I am 8 weeks post-op. When I was about 3 weeks post-op I got medication from the Dr. for depression. I didn't think I needed it but my husband thought I should talk to the Dr. about it. My Dr. actually warned me that I might need medication after a trama like this. He put me on Zolof. I didn't feel a great difference at first. I was sad about my situation. I wanted to feel better and was unhappy with my progress. I had surgery 18 yrs ago and I compared the two as to how I was feeling and I should never have done that. Everything was different this time. I had no appetite which they said the medication would help that. I was having trouble sleeping and it helped that too. I only took the med. for one month and I never refilled it. I could if I wanted too, but I don't feel I need it.

I know I could dwell on the negative but I feel So Positive now. I feel so wonderful!! So glad that I had the surgery...that things went so Well and to feel so much better is a blessing beyong belief.

I wish you the Best. I hope you find the answer to your problem. Peace and happiness with your New life!

Becky

Hi Scottie.....Tyce is now 16 weeks post op and things are great. In trying to remember what has happened, I can only paraphrase Sylvia's quote---it seemed surreal.

Tyce went through a period about 6-8 weeks post op where I would say he was definitely "feeling sorry for himself." Not depression, but more like, "Why me??" He kinda/sorta withdrew, and I guess that's the best way to explain it. I spoke with a friend of ours who is a social worker, and when he pointed it out to Tyce, he agreed and "stopped feeling sorry for himself." From that point on, he has never looked back.

I think he would like to go back to being "superman," lifting great objects with a single hand, but now realizes that it's not going to happen. Our cardio said 40 lbs. max and that's it. He can deal with it. I did notice yesterday when we were doing yard work, putting away outdoor furniture, taking down screens, etc., including raking those G.. D..... leaves that he was beat about 5 o'clock when we stopped, but SO WAS I. So I can't attribute it to his heart, just overwork.

Don't know if that's a help or not, but I definitely would say that 8 weeks was a turning point for him. Hope this helps.

Evelyn

Scottie,
As you've read, recovering from heart surgery is so different for everyone. But, I still see common threads - such as depression. My surgery was 8+ weeks ago and I don't know that I was ever depressed, per se, yet I was weepy. I would cry at the oddest moments and then tell my family, "I don't know why I'm crying." I probably did know why I was crying, but I didn't think anyone would really understand and I didn't want to admit "not being strong." I cried because I didn't feel like traveling to all of my daughter's soccer games. I cried because, on some days, I just didn't feel well. I cried because I felt worse after my surgery than I ever did before the surgery.
But, those days, for the most part, are gone. My head has cleared of the drugs, heart-lung machine, and I believe I'm on the road to recovery. I would encourage you to share your feelings with your family. When something is bothering you, they need to know. When you need help with something, ask for the help.
I have discovered that I'm not going to bounce back from this open-heart surgery. I might feel better and better each day, but it's going to take months and months until I feel like the "old me." Until that time, there will be up and down days, there will be days that I just don't feel like doing much, there will be days that I feel like "I'm queen of the world," and there will be days that I wonder why all this happened to me.
But, I do believe that I'm a lucky one...that I found my problem way before it gave me any serious trouble...that I have loved ones who love me dearly and are so glad that I'm still here on Earth, and I did change my lifestyle. Going "under the knife" made me realize that this is the only body I'll ever have and I'd better start taking care of it.
Look at what has happened to you as the glass being half full -
you're alive and well, getting better each day.....count your blessings. :)

Hey Walter,
How about posting a new pic featuring that beard you grew? I, too, quit drinking any alcohol at all after surgery, and even eliminated coffee.

To answer the original question in this thread, at six weeks I was feeling pretty good, but still a little sore. I think a lot of us have "up" days and "down" days after surgery. I have observed that as more time passed (now 5 months) things even out. Getting your stamina back (around 8 to 12 weeks post-op) really is uplifting. I am going to write a separate posting about depression due to something that just happened to my daughter.

Hang in there, you'll get better every day.

--John

Scottie - I was definitely on the upswing at 6 weeks. I enjoyed the time off where I was much better and completely avoided work. On the first week back to work, I went on a business trip to LA and participated in a design review. I also played in a chess tournament that weekend. I think my overall view was that I went through an ordeal, but it was over and time to get back into normal life. The big emphasis is that it was over and I was well and ready.

At six weeks, I was feeling very fortunate indeed. My recovery was going well and I had just returned from 10 days in Europe for my son's wedding. My surgeon kept telling me, before and after the surgery, that I would be able to go to the wedding, but I was never certain I would be able to travel until the day we left. To have had the operation and then be able to participate in his wedding was a very life-affirming experience.

-- roy --

Since others have posted about feeling good, I will too...sometimes I hesitate because the past three years since surgery have been so good to me I fear others may get disgusted with me.

I went to Daytona for the bike week activities since my husband was racing that week. The trip was tiring, but I lounged around the motel a lot and wrapped up in a blanket on the beach and just soaked up the sun. When we got back I ventured back to school for a half day with my sub...then decided to take my full 11 weeks and enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back