How can this be me!!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super Susan,

Please share that website with the Bovine Pericardial Valve Info.
It might even be a good idea to copy that to the Valve Selection and Reference Forums. I was not able to find much published information a year and a half ago.

'AL'

Al,
I will find it again and let you guys know. Haven't been able to get on-line lately. It rained here and it always messes up the phone lines in the boonies. I went and had a heart cath. done 8/20 and as expected I will need surgery. At least it's not as bad as the echo showed. My heart muscle is still in very good condition and so are my aortic arteries (no bypass yeah!!). I was referred to a surgeon who actually called me in the recovery room. I see him on 9/8. I will be haveing surgery at Austin Heart Hospital - when to be determined 9/8. I have read much about, and have seen, through this site, many who have a St. Judes mechanical or tissue valve. I have not, however, seen too many with the Ross Operation. I've read alot on this procedure and I know this is a more complicated surgery but much was suggested by the doctor doing the heart cath. that I could be a candidate. Anyone had this done? or if not was it suggested and then later changed and if so why?
Missed you guys.
As always, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your support and great information.
Susan Allen

Hello Again Susan,

In MY case, my surgeon thought that the risks of a Ross Procedure outweighed the possible benefits, but I'm older and have also had bypass surgery. Some others have had to have additional surgeries after the Ross procedure.

I suspect the ideal candidate is young with no other heart issues.
In any event, be sure to find a surgeon who has actually done MANY such procedures (say 100 or more). The best results seem to come from surgeons and hospitals with the most EXPERIENCE.

It sounds like you are making good progress. Best wishes in making your decisons.

'AL'

Susan I have nothing good to say for the Ross procedure. They tried it on me and 6 years later it failed. I don't know anyone that's had one where it lasted more then 8 years. Each operation places you in more danger, so knowing that, I would say no to the Ross. Maybe consider a homograft, tissue, or mechanical instead. There are no guarantees with any, but you'll have a much larger window before having to have another surgery soon.

That's my opinion for what it's worth.

I can surely agree with multiple operations taking their toll. Joe has had so many surgeries in his lifetime. He's become a "hyper-reactor" to just about everything, and each time he has had surgery, even with good results, he's exhausted for much longer than others who have only had a few.

I think if you can avoid additional surgeries, it's a good thing.

But everyone has to weigh a lot of things in their decisions.

Hi
I had mv repair in April 2003 and then 5 weeks later had to have mv replacement. I am 29 so it was a given that I would have a st. jude valve. I would not want anyone to have to go through ohs more than once. The ticking for me is pretty much always there sometime more than others, but I am getting use to it. Coumadin isn't that bad really you just have to go in and get a finger stick. Good luck with your choices and feel lucky that you have the time before surgery to look into all of your options because my baby was 5 days old and I ended up in the ER and was admitted for 6 days before I had the first surgery. So hearing all the medical junk and not knowing what was going on and what options I had, kind of sucked. So take the info a little at a time since you have a few days to do so and you will make the right decision for yourself.
Take care,
Michelle

Just to correct Michelle on one thing, not all coumadin clinics use the finger stick method. Many still do Venipuncture draws. I just got away from the continuous needle jabbing and found a clinic that does finger sticks instead. I almost look forward to going now where before, I dreaded it.

All the more reason to try to get your own Protime Unit and home test!

Latest posts

Back