How bad is the pain? Set to have surgery in 12 days.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't obsess over the pain by any means. It sucks for a few days to a week or two (everyone's experience can be a bit different) and slowly gets better over the next 2 months. I just told myself to suck it up, tough it out, and that it would get better - and it did. They broke a couple ribs in addition to my full sternotomy when they opened me up so it definitely hurt. But it goes away fairly soon. Its a big deal leading up to it, but in hindsight, its another day in the office for the doctors and before you know it you get back on with your life. At times I found it a bit more frustrating than painful (e.g. getting in and out of bed). Don't worry - you'll be on the other side and recovering before you know it!

T in YVR I see you got the On-X valve in the aortic position replaced. I have done a bunch of research do you like your On-X valve?

Typing in this from a Houston hospital where I had surgery a week ago today. Briefly:- I was very worried about the breathing tube as I have a terrible gag reflex and have ripped dental devices out of my mouth on more than one occasion due to panic. I was so sedated I barely knew the tube was there. I'm tried to speak several times and was surprised when no sound came out, having forgotten that part. At removal time the surgeon himself did the removal and suctioned n, telling me to cough repeatedly.
Drain tubes were painful if I moved such that they were pushed to pulled. One crazy ICU nurse decided I had to be turned on my side and wrapped like a sausage even as I protested. I took it for a minute then shouted "this isn't working" because the tubes were digging in. Everything was fine when I lay still and they proactively managed my pain. Current discomfort is from sitting up in this hospital bed. Didn't sleep much last night or this, but there is no pain and I'm on my IPad.

Regarding dying: for a number of reasons, this thought has never been buried deeply in my mind. As pecille said, we could be killed driving to work. I've experienced tragedy personally and certainly read about it. So I prepared by getting my ducks in a row so family would know my wishes. I also told them that is anything happened they needed to know that there were a whole lot of people I was looking forward to seeing again because that's my belief. My focus was on them being prepared "in case". This gave me a sense of control. I also reminded myself that unlike many other diagnoses, my issue could be fixed and that others would trade places with me in a heartbeat, e.g., the mom of a 12-yo girl who drowned while on a school field trip the week I got the news about my valve. Try to keep things in perspective. Keep reading here to be prepared. That was very helpful because I didn't get a play by play as I was in ICU; I knew what was going on from reading here.

Honeybunny glad you are doing well after surgery. I'm just ready to get that first week over. I feel like once allthe tube and wires come out everything will get easier.

I also experienced very little pain and no problem with the breathing tube (and I've had this surgery twice in the last 10 years). I just want to add: be sure to tell the staff if you have any discomfort or pain. Since you see from these posts everyone experiences it differently, only you can let them know what you need. They'll probably be solicitous, but if your nurse has an extra demanding patient or there are more than the usual emergency situations, you may need to advocate for yourself.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.

pain was so minimal I was really surprised, of course everybody is different but seeing as I am one big baby and the worlds worst when it comes to pain it says a lot when I found it ok

Mday849 - to answer your question - I'm quite happy with my On-X valve. If I had to do it all over again I would choose the same one, no question. I'm sure all of the others are fine (and there's lots of other threads on all of that), but I researched On-X and was very comfortable with it.
Tony

Thanks for all the information. I am 5 days away from surgery. Still a little nervous but trying my best to prepar mmentally and hoping for a speedy recovery.

I'm in hospital now. VA in MSP. Knew I had to have an AVR eventually but was getting exceedingly worn out while lifting,etc. came for a heart cath and angio which found 70% blockage in left main which means double by pass. Also a blockage on right side which may need by pass. Tissue valve (cow) which has been treated to lessen calcification over time. They put me under house arrest until Dr Sara Jane Shumway has cleared her schedule on Monday morning. Her father is/was Norman Shumway who pioneered heart transplants at Stanford. Google search if interested. She actually had no openings until after thanksgiving. So. Here I am, the waiting game and anxiety comes to the surface. I'm mostly scared of not making it through surgery. I know I'm not in control and that freaks me out. I'm a young 66 years old. My valve is bicuspid and my blockages are presumed to be from agent orange. I guess I'm looking for reassurance while I'm stewing and ruminating. My wife returns tomorrow for support. I'm not ready to leave this plane of existence. Have a lot to live for. Thanks all.

Last edited:
mn2mx, thank you for your service. My brother is a Viet Nam vet who is dealing with a number of health issues from agent orange. I'm sorry you were affected this way. I hope you find some piece of mind while in the waiting room. Think about all of us in this forum who came through surgery just fine. Wishing you all the best.

Hi mn2mx - I'm sure you won't leave this "plane of existence" - they will keep you alive and you'll be back here to report on how it went. It won't be pain free but you will come out the other side, they will make sure of that. Tell them of your anxieties - they will help you. Tell them you don't like this loss of control - they will understand and help you !

A lot of what is said here is calming and reassuring. I know there are no guarantees but I ain't checkin' out yet. Thanks all. Keep 'em coming.

Latest posts

Back