Homograph AVR scheduled WED 12/18/02

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Denis, you look great! I'm so glad to hear that recovery is going so well. Seeing that spirometer there sure brings back memories...lol! You and your wife are a lovely couple. Having a spouse's support really helps to get through this. My husband was there with me every step of the way, the same as your wife. Please keep us informed on how you are doing. Sounds like you will be home for the holidays.

Take Care!
Gail

It is always so good to welcome one back from surgery and to hear that all went so well. You sound so good and look good too, both of you. You just keep on doing as well as you are now and you will be back flying before you know it. God bless

Post Surgery Day 3

Post Surgery Day 3

Still doing Good!

Well it's almost, but not quite (I think I was out of the operating room about 10am and it's now 9:30am) 3 days since surgery. I have to say so thankful to all of you for the continued encouragement. There is some possibility that I might be released today, but we're waiting for my CBC taken this morning to come back. My white blood count was elevated (24) and they need to see that turn the corner. Even if that comes back in the right direction, they may error on the side of being conservative and wait until tomorrow for my release. I'll let you know.

Here are a few tidbits and some that I have heard mentioned before, but worth providing my recent insight. I'ts really true that you need to make sure to not over do it the first few days. Yesterday, about 2 hrs after my tubes were removed I went on a pretty long walk then took two sets of visitors. I starting feeling a flushed around the face and had a small temperature rise (went up to about 100). This is not uncommon, but I decided to chill a bit and just rest and my body started responding and now the temp is AOK.

One other thing I did the second morning was inhale a bit of coffee down the wrong pipe. Wrong thing to do!!! I just had to ride out the cough, but gotta tell you, didn't have my heart pillow handy and it did hurt, but I'm sure I didn't do any damage.

All for now....Going to follow my own advice and chill a bit (I guess I fib a bit since I've already been on at least 4 walks since 5am this morning), but my wife just showed and I'm going to relax with her.

Again...Thanks for all the nice thoughts, Conk (Denis)

Last edited:
Great to hear from you Denis.
You sound in excellent spirits and that's 90% of what makes for a good recovery.

The first three days is the hardest.
Then the first week.
After that, you'll notice an enormous difference in how much better you feel.

Sounds like you went through this with the best possible attitude.
I am very surprised of your lucidity. I was a zombie for the first couple of weeks.

Glad to hear all went well. Keep up your positive attitude and you'll be running and lifting in no time!
Kev

At least the evil sneezes haven't hit you yet. I swear they are the worst! :D

Take care of yourself and come home. I'm sure the wife would love to have you home for the holidays.

Plan on being out on the 24th

Plan on being out on the 24th

I think I was a bit optimistic to think I might be released today, but all indications are tomorrow is the day. I'm sure I will be a whole lot more insistent tomorrow. I figured I couldn't complain too much today since I've only been here for 3 days, but don't want to be in the hospital on XMAS eve.

White Blood Count was down, but not enough to suite the doctors but all in all, how can I complain, I could have never expected that this surgery would go as smoothly. Apparently the tissue vavle seems to be doing well and with any luck could last up to 20 years.

Regards...Conk

Day 10 - On Schedule

Day 10 - On Schedule

I was released from the Hospital after 4 days, on the 24, and I have been making significant progress every day. I have been able to sleep in my bed for the last two nights and I walked over 5 miles yesterday in 3 walks.

I can't say I'm quite back to normal, but most people without knowing, would be hard pressed to know that I went through surgery 10 days ago.

I've had computer problems since leaving the hospital and that is why so few posts, but hopefully I'll get them all solved soon.

I was wondering...what is a good reading on the spirometer? I'm now approaching 4,000 while keeping the yellow plunger on the left in the best range. Is this really a reading of V02?

Thanks...

Hi Conk

Hi Conk

I sure hope you are not pushing yourself too hard...The body NEEDS time to heal...Remember what was done to you...Take one day at a time. Really don't think all that walking is good for you this soon....Yes, you will hear it a million times, I cannot believe you look so good to have had open-heart surgery:D :D but never told them how badly I felt D :D :D :D Strange recovery..this open-heart surgery..depression is so common, pain in the strangest places:p Foggy headed....Slow down and smell the Roses.:) Bonnie

Wow, you seem to be in pretty good condition post op.

My spirometer reading pre op was 3500. I have yet (16 weeks post op) to get back to better than 3200.

Be careful but keep up the good work.

By the way, I note you fly a Lancair, did you build it?? I have always admired that little bird. Am a CFI(not active now), and former Comanche 250 owner. Used to live just north of Oshkosh, haven't been back for a couple of years.

Good luck, and best wishes.

Bill

flying

flying

I guess that some of you guys could appreciate my father-in-laws four DFC for flying the hump in WWII. He was ofered a commercial postion when the war ended...he told me he told them "now that my feet are on the ground I am staying put, I'm tired of being shot at.

LANCAIR

LANCAIR

Bill,
Yes, I started the Lancair 235 project in December of 1985. I brought on a Partner 3 years later and the airplane first flew in June of 1992.

It has now been flying for over 10 years with over 1,000 hours logged. The picture in the first post on this thread is of my wife and I in Oskhosh in July 1999. I also flew there this year. We've also taken the airplane to Sun and Fun, 1993, and numerous other trips, including Canada, Colorado, and Oregon (that's where I'm from) more times than I can count.

Regards...Denis

DOH!

I have been away from vr.com for a couple of weeks and in catching up I did not read the entire thread or my questions would have been answered.

When I clicked on read next unread it took me to the place where i posted and I missed that there were other pages. Just call me Homer Simpson.

Beautiful bird you built. I am a pretty good pilot and a decent mechanic, but I doubt I could fly something that I built. I had toyed with the possibility, but time never allowed it. Most likely for the best. I aways wanted to get a Cessna 180 or 195 and go camping out west and up to Canada and Alaska. That isn't likely to happen now, oh well.

Best wishes,

Bill

Latest posts

Back