Home Tests?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bevbodene

Hi y'all! This is my very first post , and I hope I'm posting in the right thread. :)

I have had 2 open heart surgeries, and have been on Coumadin since May 1996, at age 35.

My question is, do any of you have the home testing kit? If so, how much did it cost, and do you like it? It seems to me it would be sooooo much more convenient if I could do my Protime myself. I have a St. Jude valve and my INR is supposed to stay between 2.5 - 3.5. It has been quite difficult to keep it at this level for a very long period of time.

I need to say that I'm so glad to have found this site. I've been looking for something such as this for a looooong time, and feel I've finally hit upon some support from people who understand my feelings and trials.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site Bev

Yes, home test units are available and the wonderful people behind them frequent the forum also. See the link below for more information, also look around in this forum. You did post in the right place.

http://www.hometestmed.com/frames.asp?f=http://www.hometestmed.com/p_protime.htm

You may want to see Zippers thread comparing home testing with the labs testing results:
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1649

Granbonny just got her unit and she seems very happy with it, in fact, there are a lot of members, including Hank who is the site owner, who use home testing.

Insurance companies may or may not cover the cost, but the people at QAS would be more then happy to try and coax them into it.

Read almost all the threads in this forum and you'll get a pretty good understanding of things concerning the device.

Again, welcome and you've found the best site you could possibly want to run across for support, friendship, and everything that involves Heart surgery and all the things that come after it.

Last edited:
Hi Bev,

I'm 41 yrs.old,have St. Judes mitral and aortic
valves(1998 models), and chronic a-fib. Been on
Coumadin since 1996, and don't have a home test
unit yet, but gonna try to get one in the near
future hopefully. Lots of members here hometest,
including the founder of this site, Hank Eyring.
From what I gather, I think everyone loves the
convenience of hometests. I participated in a
small clinical trial a few years ago, comparing
lab draws with 2 different hometest units, and
they were very close readings. I'm sure many
hometesters will be along to tell you all about
the experiences they have had. Welcome to the
site, you'll learn alot here. I don't post very
often, but check site almost daily. Lots of
sincere, caring folks here!
Good luck to ya!

Mike in Florida

Aortic/Mitral valves, St. Judes mechs.
By Tomas Martin at Shands at U.F.
Chronic a-fib

Protiming is "Kewl"..

Protiming is "Kewl"..

Hi Bev,

I am so glad you found us! You will find a ton of information here and everyone is so friendly and more than willing to do whatever they can to help you! So pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
I have been happily protiming for 18 months and I cannot say enough about it. It is in one word WONDERFUL! No more vena puctures, and those inconvenient trips to the lab and have to wait. Now I can test whenever I feel the need. It still is not always right, but INR is not an exact science. (INR=It's never right) Many things can interfere and make it go up or down.
The unit is not cheap but QAS will help you get it paid for by your insurance. Insurance won't always pay though. I had to pay for the unit myself, and I also pay for the supplies. It is worth it though to have peace of mind.
So, click on the Protime ad on this page and you go for it girl!

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

Be thankful for every heart that touches you and grateful for every heart you can touch!

Hi Bev.

Hi Bev.

I just got my ProTime unit this past Thursday(27-Jun). QAS called on Friday and we set up a time to run through my first test. The nurse was very knowledgable about the ProTime and coumadin management in general. My first test went very well :D The unit checks for dozens of parameters to insure an accurate reading. So it's bye-bye to hospital visits (25 mi. one way).

Greg T

Love my Protime

Love my Protime

Greg..I am glad you got your Protime..I just love mine..Showed my range as 2.8 where I need to be..My trouble is I would love to do it everyday. Ha..But will hold out for once a week...Have tested 3 times and NO sore finger or bleeding. Will take mine with me July 10th to get Card to sign it off and fax back to QAS for next supplies.So great to be free of labs:D Bonnie

Hey Bonnie:

Do you have to bring that form in personally? I was told I could just mail it to my cardiologist :confused:

Protime signoff

Protime signoff

Greg, My 3 month appt. is the 10th..Will take it and make sure someone signs it off..or it could get misplaced..I will probably take my Protime to check INR with theirs..I guess it depends on whether your doctor wants to see you perform a test. Have you asked them?Bonnie

Christina

Christina

I love it....INR=it's never right!!! That is priceless.

Sure helps to home test! Since I've used mine on a weekly basis I've noticed a drop in my INR two times to 1.9 in the time frame of the month span between the previous monitored lab tests. I was relieved to know this and adjust accordingly (only slight) rather than not know and wait until the next lab test and maybe have had a BIG problem!!!

Yep...'Kewl' it is!

Zipper *~*

Zipper

Zipper

Hi Zip,

You better get those numbers up my dear. Sounds way too low for my comfort. I got a blood clot at 1.4 and the whole shebang needed to be redone. Not fun the second time around either, but at least I did not have to think about it as long as the first time. LOL!!
I like to keep my INR a bit higher so I can have my greens every day. If I would have an INR of 1.9 I'd start to panick I think.
I keep mine between 3.5 & 3.9 if possible, and have done so without too many ups and downs.
My doctor is not afraid of a higher INR. He has not changed my dosage since I started seeing him last year. When my INR was up to 4.9 once he told me to skip the Coumadin for 48 hours but I did not do that. I just lowered my dosage to 10mg instead of 20mg for two days, and he never knew the difference, because I test often when I am that far off.
When I went to the doctor's for the Protime demonstration he let the nurse take care of it. They thought it was great! I am the only patient that does her own testing.
After I came home I faxed the form to QAS and was done with it!

Happy Protiming:D :D :D
I see more and more of you are getting the bug.. LOL!!!:) :)

Christina
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St. Jude's Mechanical

"BE THANKFUL FOR EVERY HEART THAT TOUCHES YOU AND GRATEFUL FOR EVERY HEART YOU CAN TOUCH"

Hi Christina,

Yes!!! The 1.9 scared me...and to think I would NOT have known if it weren't for ProTime is even scarier!!!! I did take extra Coumadin and will home test again on Wednesday..by then it should come up a bit...I Hope more than a bit!!!!! I must be eating something different that I'm not paying enough attention to. I'll start a log of food intake.. it maybe the summer fruits (and avacados) and frontyard artichokes that I've been eating too much of. I, too, am much more comfortable with a reading of 3.0 or above. I'm working on it and trying not to panic!!! Thanks Christina!

Zip *~*

ProTime demo ?

ProTime demo ?

Hi Christina:

Who's idea was it to demo the ProTime unit at the doctors? QAS did not say anything to me about doing that. Also an INR of 1.9 is low but what is the recommended range anyway and does the range vary person to person and with the valve type? :confused:

Greg T

Training Confirmation Sheet

Training Confirmation Sheet

Greg..Middle ways down the paper it says..This patient has successfully demonstrated that he/she can test their INR with the Protime Microcoagulation System...Physician Signature______

I did read that, I meant to say that the nurse who guided me through the first said to just mail it to my Dr. (In this case my cardiologist) and have him sign it and fax it to QAS :confused:

Greg:
The physician must verify that you can properly perform testing on the ProTime machine by signing the form you have. I believe I was told that it is an FDA requirment. You might want to check back with QAS about that and other questions.

Regarding the range for anticoagulation, generally for prosthetic valve patients it is 2.5 to 3.5. In my husband's case, he had a stroke that doctors SUSPECT was caused by a low INR, in otherwords, and anticoagulation failure. His target range, because of the stroke, is 3.0 to 4.0. Your doctor should determine your range for you and the dosage of coumadin or warfin to maintain the selected range. The amount of coumadin taken to maintain a selected target range varies from person to person, and changes according to diet an other things. My dear's coumadin dose has ranged from 9.0 to 5.0 over the last l8 months to maintain the INR range of 3.0 to 4.0.

It really does get easier as you learn and gain experience with the Machine and your health condition. Just think, in a few months you'll be giving information and advice to other people new to the board and the ProTime machine.

Regards,
Blanche

Thanks Blanche

Thanks Blanche

Hi Blanche:

I did call QAS and what you say is true! My next appointment is in 5 months so I may schedule a sooner one. My INR was 2.8 when I tested with the nurse on Sat. That's near the middle for me so I guess I'm OK for now. :D

Greg T

To Greg T..

To Greg T..

Hi Greg,

QAS told me to take it somewhere to demonstrate the unit and showing them that I was capable of doing the test. Only a doctor or a nurse was allowed to sign the form if I remember correctly. I wasn't going to the lab anylonger, and this doctor was regulating my Coumadin dosage so I called for the appointment and told them the reason. I thought he would be there to watch, but he let his nurse watch the demonstration instead because he was busy with other patients. The nurse signed the form and I was done. Faxed the form to QAS when I came home.
The recommended range for a mechanical valve is between 2.5 & 3.5. I like to stay a bit higher.
Today my INR was 4.2 so I ate a lot of green beans and broccoli.. YUM!!!

Hope this answers your question.

Christina
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

Thanks Christina:

I am going to make that appointment tomorrow when I call for my last lab results. Hoping to home-test from now on.

Greg T :D

Just an addendum...

I wonder if the nurse in the blood lab could sign the form???

Greg T

Home test follow-up...

Home test follow-up...

Hi all:

When I returned from my blood lab visit this morning, I tested my self with my ProTime unit. WOW aside from the low INR (2.0) the results from the lab were 1.98! :D Later today my cardiologist is going to be reminded that my range is 2.5 to 3.5! :eek: Hospital will not sign QAS form.

Greg T

Latest posts

Back