Home Testing Machine---Recommendations??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKAFrench

I am coming up on my surgery in April, and wanted to get the reviews from the users! I am hoping to get my home tester delivered by the time I get home, and all the research I could ever do will never add up to the reviews from the people actually using them.

What home INR testers do y'all use or would y'all recommend?

Hi

I happen to like the Coagucheck XS. Without having done much detailed resarch I think that it has more reliable chemsitry than others. Whatever you get it will perhaps be also the decision of your health care provider (in the USA at least, the rest of us are free to choose).

I recall that the INRatio has had some product recalls over a systemic problem of faulty INR readings, but I didn't pay strict attention to that recall because I don't use that machine.

A quick google gives : http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm426166.htm

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/...tyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm396324.htm

I have used both the CoaguchekXS and INRatio2 in recent years and have found the CoaguchekXS easier to use. My primary care doctor also uses the CoaguchekXS in his office and I check my meter against his every six months or so. I also recommend Coaguchek Patient Services (800-780-0675) as a service provider if you have to go thru a "service program". I have dealt with them for over two years and they are excellant to deal with.......far better than Alere.

Recommend Coagucheck XS. I had major issues with In Ratio as they recalled machine as it Is not accurate if you have certain conditions. I was in Cardiac ICU for a week and in the hospital for a month total.

I am using Coagucheck and am very happy to be free of Alere.

Good luck and I am sure your providers are aware if the testing issues with In Ratio and will guide you in the right direction.

I've been using the Coagucheck XS for the past 8 years here in Canada. Although you may have to wait a month or two maybe 3 until your doc and/or insurance approves of one.

By now, you've probably made your choice - and it was probably the Coaguchek XS. Many doctor's offices use them. Even more self-testers use them than doctors do. It's not a bad choice.

I have tested many different meters - CoaguChek XS, InRatio and InRatio 2, ProTime and Protime 3, and Coag-Sense. The ProTime meters do a good job, but are large, more difficult to use than the others, require that their strips (they call the cuvettes) be refrigerated, but tend to be pretty accurate. The CoaguChek XS is the leader in this market. Results are usually within 30% of labs, and supplies probably aren't much of an issue. Plus, your insurance carrier is probably very familiar with them. My experience with the XS shows the results being slightly higher than the lab or the Coag-Sense meter.

For myself, I prefer the Coag-Sense. It's slightly larger than the CoaguChek XS. The test is easy to run, once you've done it once or twice. The results of my testing have typically been near to, or slightly lower than, the lab results. The manufacturer just upgraded the firmware - a free upgrade - last year. Because the results are slightly lower than the lab (sometimes), I feel more comfortable to use it - I feel safer having a meter that tells me that my INR is at or above the low end of my target range than I would be worrying how much lower than the meter my INR ACTUALLY is. Both meters are CLIA waived, both should be around for a long time.

Back