Home state sights to see

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I'm in the midst of reading Jim Hinckley's book, _Route 66 Backroads_, to prepare and plan this year's Route 66 Drive, September 5-16. I'm learning a lot about different areas in several states that probably should be explored ... when I have time. I'm also beginning to wish I could take more time for the Route 66 Drive...and, for that matter, road trips in general....

As I read the book further, I wonder what else is "out there" of interest to see in various areas. Our own "backyard" has plenty "treasures" to explore ... many more than we have time to see. This became apparent when I saw the PBS specials on Route 66 and the Lincoln Highway; researched other famous routes (US RT 20, US RT 2, The Dixie Highway, etc.); and, of course, as I've road tripped across the United States. Reading Jim Hinckley's book is just reinforcing that.

So ... what do YOU consider to be "should see" areas/places in your home state? What would you tell travelers to check out, if they have the time, as they drive through your state? What "obscure" and "out of the way" places in your home state come to mind?

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"How much longer will they be around?" ... Don Williams ... 'Old Coyote Town'

In Ohio, there are lots of places to check out. (None of them thrill me, but might be of interest to others) Dayton Air force Museum, various caverns up North, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Football all of fame right here in Canton, President William McKinleys monument also here in Canton, the Amish country and the list goes on. Just depends on what a person likes. State parks are beautiful during the summer months, some also during winter.

Florida caverns near Marianna, St Augustine's fort, Greynolds park in Miami. serpentariam in Miami, Key West, Silver Springs, Cypress Gardens, Spook Hill, Ringling Museum and mansion plus Amish restaurants in Sarasota. Time was, before interstates, you traveled through all the towns on the way and there were always signs. The interstate is great but we have lost that homey sign thing.

There is so much to see in these United States that we could spend a lifetime exploring it without ever wanting to leave its shores to explore other countries.

Since we still consider Illinois "home", I would recommend visiting the southeastern tip of Illinois. You enter Hardin County via Route 1, and then it's
a straight shot to Cave in Rock and the Cave in Rock State Park. My sister and husband are the concessionaire for the restaurant/lodge, and the park contains high bluffs alongside the Ohio River that offer beautiful views of the river. There's a free ferry that transports cars and people from Cave in Rock to Marion, Kentucky. Amish households dot the roadside and offer goods for sale. It's a pretty drive, but you do have to watch for the horse drawn carriages.
It's a great week-end get away, even for those living in the Northern part of the state.

The Blue Ridge parkway in VA,NC,TN area is very beautiful in the fall months. Summer time I love the outer banks

First thing that comes to mind for me is California State Highway 1. Runs along the Pacific Coast. Stop in Santa Monica for a couple of hours on the Santa Monica Pier. Also take a walk along the pedestrian walk-way to Venice Beach in the summer, lots of street vendors and muscle builders. Of course if you keep going along down along Hwy 1, eventually you end in in San Diego and Sea World. Or if you hed up the coast you come to San
Franciso and Fisherman's Wharf. Come in off the coast and find Hwy 118 to Simi Valley for the Ronald Reagan Museum. If you like roller coasters, Hwy 5 takes you to 6-Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia. Hwy5 to Hwy 99 takes you to the Sequoia National Park through a town called Porterville. Into fishing, water sports? Well we have MANY lakes. So come to Cali in the fall, winter, spring, summer and we have something to do year round.:D

Texas is a big state has lots of things to see. I've lived here most of my life and still haven't made it to Big Bend or Palo Duro Canyon, which I hear are amazing. I think I could vacation in Texas every year and still not see everything.

Janie, Gruene Hall is a fun place and surrounded by a neat little town.

Unfortunately, Cort, the Chicken Ranch is no longer available for "sightseeing", although you could find some similar, but not so classy establishments in many towns in Texas!!!

That's right! I forgot! We vacationed in New Braunfels several years ago and visited Gruene while we were there. We ate in a great restaurant in town, but I can't remember its name.

Well, if you want to dig for diamonds and keep all you find come to Arkansas. ONLY place like that in the world! This guy from Michigan found a 4.68-carat white diamond Sept 08.

Ross,
we visited the Dayton USAF Museum a few years back.. it's awesome! I'm partial to the Air Force for I'm a USAF vet. Also partial to the name Dayton. :D:D

Lisa, you need to see the play "Texas" in Palo Duro Canyon. We loved it! Also liked New Braunfels.
Here is a picture of our kids in Big Bend 1968. We had rented the little trailer, next year bought a popup tent trailer.

Sheridan, we drove the Blue Ridge Parkway last spring. Loved it. Also spent 2 nights at the Biltmore Estate and stayed on the Estate.

There is so much to see in these United States that we could spend a lifetime exploring it without ever wanting to leave its shores to explore other countries.

AMEN! Which is why I want to do exploring NOW, while I still can. People keep saying "wait until retirement". Heh. That is YEARS away for me, so I need to do this ... now.

*sighs*

Unfortunately, Cort, the Chicken Ranch is no longer available for "sightseeing", although you could find some similar, but not so classy establishments in many towns in Texas!!!

LOL! Hmmm...I may have to look into that ;). he he

I'm going to have to create a list, me thinks....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 drive = Sept '09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Look at everything that's come and gone" ... Bryan Adams ... 'Summer of 69'

Anyone visiting Louisiana should see THE D-DAY MUSEUM, LAYTON CASTLE and some of the old plantation homes scattered through the state. I could give you a huge list but these are just two of my personal favorites.
Anyone wanting to actually visit can find lost of ideas on the state WEB site.

Lettitia

Skyline drive in Virginia is very nice. In Maryland there are several Civil War sights you can visit within 2 hours of each other. Also the drive out to western Maryland across the continental divide, (yes we have one on the east coast also.) is very pretty in the fall.

And also Route 50 originates in Ocean city Maryland and ends in California on one of the Pacific beaches. That would be a really long and wonderful road trip.

Latest posts

Back