Home monitoring systems in Canada

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pay just under $185 for 24 from my local pharmacy same mark up as for diabetic supplies. At that price you wouldn't want to waste many of them that's for sure. Because there is so much counterfeiting I want the real deal so buy from a pharmacy and in Ontario the price is tax deductible. As a heads up one of the brand name drugs being counterfeit is Viagara. When it comes to my health I don't take chances.

Thanks everyone for all the input. Always good to know what is happening in other parts of the two countries. I did take a quick look at eBay and thought about future purchases that way. Today I did end up having to ask the pharmacy to send the strips back and re-order to get a better expiration date. They were set to expire in October 2013 which was months less than the 21 month shelf life Roche advertised. I'm sure they are not a quick mover from the distributor's shelves. We decided to change to two 24 packs and just hold back ordering the second one until needed and they honoured the original price.

I think in-home testing around here is still just beginning to grow as there was not much experience available from the pharmacies I visited. Seemed like most had to "check into it" and get back to me. There is a local clinic doing the capillary testing and that may be good for most people. I wanted a little more freedom to travel for work and pleasure which was my main driver (along with a dislike for getting poked for a venous sample every other week).

My health care plan does not cover INR monitors although they do cover glucose meters. Apparently they still don't consider them to be a "durable medical device". That may change in the future and I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy the equipment and supplies. I will use whatever tax deductions I can though.

If you test weekly - and probably waste a few strips - October 2013 may have worked. However, although the per strip cost for 24 strips may be a bit more than for 48, your strategy (24 at a time) makes sense.

As far as covering Glucose meters -- sure they do. They only cost a few dollars (or, in some cases, are free). The meter manufacturers make their money selling the test strips. (And, to be fair, there are a hell of a lot more diabetics testing their blood glucose than there are people on coumadin who want to test). It may take years - if ever - for economies of scale to bring down the price of INR meters and testing supplies. Even if it cost $2 to make the meters and a nickel a strip, unless a manufacturer looks at humanitarian issues, instead of profit, these things will always be expensive.

I am testing every two weeks presently with the lab method, but may have increased to weekly if the INR fluctuates out of range. Hard to say just yet. I got lucky with the first two tries and did not waste a strip. I'm just waiting on a lab test report to see how the home unit correlated to the lab. I'll be pretty happy with a 0.5 or less discrepancy as my target range is low at 1.8-2.5. The studies I found indicate an increased discrepancy possible the higher the target.

I agree fully with the comments regarding economies of scale and INR meters. Thanks for your responses.

Yes, the studies do say that the higher the INR goes, the more error can exist with electronic testing. With your target range of 1.8-2.5, this error shouldn't come into play.

In my experience (and the reported experience of others here), the InRatio is often (usually?) higher than the lab results. Not having a CoaguChek, I don't know how accurate those meters are (other than the statements made by Roche that say that their meters are within 0.1 of the labs). When we rely on labs as being the gold standard for INR testing, we should also consider that lab results sometimes don't agree - from one lab to another. So - if the labs aren't always spot on - and reproducible from lab to lab - how can we know how accurate our meters are?

Personally, I test weekly. I usually use my InRatio or InRatio 2; but occasionally I use my ProTime meter with five channel strips. I often use both when I've had a blood draw and want to compare to the lab result.

If you stay sort of within range - and be careful not to drop below - you should be okay. (Of course, this isn't medical advice, you should always check with your doctor if you have questions)

My plan is to be as consistent as practical in diet and alcohol consumption, "dose the diet" and try to stay on the high side of my personal target. Being able to use a capillary prick will allow me to easily move to a weekly regimen and hopefully maintain a stable target result. That is the plan anyway. I agree with your last comment and the caution also.

This is a great site for information, but like Protimenow I caution all readers to always check with your health care professional before making ANY changes.

I am now using my InRatio2, having received my strips. Screwed up the first strip somehow (not enough blood, apparently), but no problems since. Tested with the home meter about 1 hour after having blood drawn at the lab to compare results; they were within 0.1, so I am very pleased with that, as is the warfarin program pharmacists who monitor me. I intend to still go to the lab every so often just as a double check on the home results, but I suspect that will decrease in frequency as time goes on.

I am now using my InRatio2, having received my strips. Screwed up the first strip somehow (not enough blood, apparently), but no problems since. Tested with the home meter about 1 hour after having blood drawn at the lab to compare results; they were within 0.1, so I am very pleased with that, as is the warfarin program pharmacists who monitor me. I intend to still go to the lab every so often just as a double check on the home results, but I suspect that will decrease in frequency as time goes on.

I did a Coaguchek home test a few minutes after having blood drawn for a lab test. The results came in showing a .3 difference on the low side which was acceptable to me as I would prefer any discrepancy to favour the low side of the home testing anyway. I also intend to periodically compare the two methods just be cautious over time. When things stabilize for a while it almost becomes forgettable which can be dangerous. Need to stay on alert!:cool2:

Latest posts

Back