Home from the Cath Lab & On to Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mentu

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
My surgery was performed at Oklahoma Heart Institu
Well, gang, the experience yesterday in the Cath Lab was a very good one. Dr Smith came by to tell me before hand that I would be awake during the Cath because he prefers patients capable of participating in .the adventure. My participation mostly extended to taking deep breaths and holding them but he was very willing to answer my questions when i felt odd sensations.

He looked at both sides of my heart during the afternoon and was very careful to warn me when the position of the probe was about to initiate odd heartbeats which it did a number of times. There was no pain involved only the occasional mild discomfort. When he finished, his technician placed a protein glue plug to prevent bleeding and I had to wait five hours before I could leave the hospital.

My Cardiologist is cautious with the results of echocardiograms which he believes often over estimate the severity of problems. This has kept me in an ambiguous position for a while asking "Is it time?" The results, yesterday, were not ambiguous. The pressure gradient across the valve is 57 mmhg and the area of the valve has dropped from 1.4 cm2 nine months ago to .7 cm2. For those of you less familiar, the normal expectation is that the area of a stenotic aortic valve would be expected to degrade at the rate of .1 - .2 cm2 a year not .7 cm2 in 9 months. So things are clear at last. When I speak with my surgeon in two weeks, he is not going to tell me that it's too soon for surgery. Incidentally, the results of the echocardiogram from one month ago matched pretty well with the results from yesterday.

03 Jul, 09 Echo: 61 mmhg & .74 cm2
14 Aug, 09 Cath: 57 mmhg & .7 cm2

So I will be keeping that appointment with my surgeon on 27 Aug. I feel very relieved to no longer have to worry about whether it truly is time yet. I slept better last night than I have in weeks. Dr Smith recommended surgery within the next 8 weeks. I am shooting for 6 weeks around the 21st of September.

No one I spoke with at Oklahoma Heart Institute yesterday had ever heard of this support group. When I go back in a few weeks for surgery, I am going to take some cards to pass around with the website address and maybe a comment or two about my experiences with you all. More people need to come here. Thanks, again everyone.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you are feeling relief and are sleeping better. I believe making the decision is one of the most stressful parts. We will be waiting to hear the results of the appointment with the surgeon and the confirmed date.

I wish you good luck with your surgery, and hope to see you on the other side of the mountain.

Thanks for describing the details of your cath and how it compared with the echo. I had an echo 2 weeks ago which showed a valve area of .7cm2 but because I am not symptomatic my cardiologist has asked me to come back in October for an appt.

Praying that everthing proceeds smoothly for you with the surgery and your recovery.

I hope all goes well with your surgeon later this month and your surgery. Happy to hear this helped relieve the stress of uncertainty of when time for surgery.

I have had a similar circumstance, except my valve diameter is not as small as yours. My new cardio feels that same about the echos overestimating so I am scheduled for cath next thursday. I am a bit anxious but will be happy to get the information. One year ago (Aug 08) my valve diameter was 1.5, then in June of this year it was down to 1.0 and in July to .97, so it looks like the degrading is rapid as is yours. Thanks for the details of the cath experience, the unknown just makes me anxious.

Keep us posted on the appt with your surgeon.

God bless,
Lori

Congratulations Mentu! Sounds odd saying that given the circumstances, but I see it as a victory to have a date now. I can't wait to get this over with and feeling like I have some control over my life again and can make plans for my future.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

Rhena

Latest posts

Back