Home Again!! The rest of the story

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross,
As I'm steadily creeping out of the woods here, you have been in my mind. I am pretty sure I survived a fairly rough time because, other than my valve problem, my health was outstanding. I am going to sound like a mother for a moment, but you make sure you do everything you can to get yourself healthy and in good shape before your surgery. Get as much rest now as you can, and go into it as strong as you can get yourself. I'm pretty sure you are going to have a more "traditional" experience than I did, but wait until your health is as rock steady as it can be, k?

Best to you and your family. I'm betting you will see a side to your family that will surprise you. Hang in there, buddy!
--John

Lisa,
Thanks for the note; actually, your husband's family most likely is related to mine. We've traced our family back to the 1200's, and know that most Cochrans come from the same place in Ayrshire. If your husband knows a few generations back, have him email me sometime and I'll fill you guys in on our long family history.

Best,
--John
[email protected]

God bless your wife, John. I think it?s very tough for people who waiting on us to come back during the surgery. I wish you a super quick recovery and am sure with the support you have you should be up and running in no time, but take it easy now.

John, you can bet that I want to be as rock solid ready as possible, unfortunetly my body doesn't quite agree with that theory.

I certainly heed your advice though. Every surgery I've had so far, has been complicated by other factors and that's what makes this so fearful.

Wow! Thank you for the candor. We need to hear the truth here so everyone has no illusions about what we're dealing with.

My sympathies and prayers are with you and your family. What an ordeal, but also a triumph in the end.

I couldn't help but think while reading your account of your ordeal that your case may very well proceed the opposite of mine. I had a very easy surgery (by my lack of recollection;) , although I was in the OR for 8 hours) and remarkable recovery for 8 months.

Then I sprung a new leak and have been on a roller coaster ever since. Hopefully, your ordeal is now over and hopefully you will not have the problems later on that I'm having (although things are looking up a bit for me lately). Like it or not, though, you have now joined me among the few in the SynerGraft club. For sure, our cases will be watched with lots of interests, especially by the surgeons.

By the way, Dr. Zehr called me today after reviewing all my records. He continues to be keenly interested in my case, especially because of the remarkable improvement indicated by my recent echo (mild leaking, left ventricle 55 mm) compared to an echo a month ago (severe leaking, left ventricle 64 mm). He says that he has never seen a case of such improvement and thus suspects one of the echoes was mistaken. He called my echocardiography physician here yesterday and persuaded her to perform a TEE on me in 2 weeks to get a better picture of what's going on. He agreed that, if it confirms the improvement shown by the latest echo, I should definitely not have surgery at this time.

Thank you again very much for connecting me with Dr. Zehr. You have proven yourself to be a special person on this website in a short time, and I'm so glad to welcome you with the others here to the other side of the mountain.

Good luck and Godspeed with the rest of your recovery.

Steve

Steve,
Your reversal of fortunes has cheered me immensely. That Mayo alumni, including Drs. Zehr and King, are pretty sharp guys not only technically, but in their intellectual/analytical capabilities. I have already let Dr. Zehr know about my case and the need to beef up CryoLife's quality control.

I think Dr. Zehr is right on the money with the TEE idea. (for those new to the jargon, TEE=transesophogeal echocardiogram, which is done from within the esophogus, and yeilds much greater accuracy than an external, or trans thoracic echocardiogram).

Perhaps, Steve, many of your problems have been med related, and maybe you have even gotten some remodeling of your new aortic root. At any rate, Dr. Zehr is one sharp cookie and I'm betting he can figure this all out.

God speed,
--John

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have fallen apart! My husband is much stronger than I am. If I would've been in the waiting room, I would've been a wreck!!!!!!!!!!!!!When I had my surgery, my husband fell asleep in the Quiet waiting room. That's how much confidence Kevin had in Dr. Verrier.

Here's to a good recovery, and take your time!

Home Again!! The rest of the story

Hey John..

Thanks for the report...as scary as it was for you and the Mrs. going thru it , we all benefited in some way. Well done.
I wish you a speedy recovery with no surprises...you have had your share.

Best wishes

Jack ( Welland )

Hi John,

Glad to hear the good news that you are doing better. It will take a few clicks for you to get back to normal. Your pump time far exceeds the 3 hrs. that they feel is maximum. I was on the pump for 6 hrs. and did have the many TIA'S.

Your guardian angels all worked very hard. Give them thanks for their dedication.

God Bless!

John & Joann

Hey John!

I finally read your post here. YIKES!!!!!

Everyone, I was thinking about him, thinking it was odd I haven't gotten an email or anything from him (I mean, two weeks should be plenty of time, right?? ;) ), so I gave him a call tonight and said "So, are you still ALIVE?? Hee hee hee!" and he said, "Did you read my post?" Shock of my life. Very distressing news, to be sure, for his sake and the rest of us with these valves, and I am very, very glad to hear that he's still with us here.

Steve, I am so excited to hear about your recent echo, and am hoping and praying that the TEE confirms these results. I'll be waiting to hear. Hoping for the best....

-JEnnie

Jennie, is he and the wife alright? We haven't seen a post of either for 5 days. I know he probably doesn't feel well, but we are worried about them.

Hey Ross,

I just answered this at your other post! Yes, he is alive, and said he's doing really well, feeling pretty good, and he sounded in good spirits! Distressing to hear his story, nonetheless. I didn't get to yak as much as I wanted, as there were some birthdays being celebrated there, but he said he'd get back to me tomorrow for an extended yak. So, no worries that I detected!

I hope your blood situation gets sorted out soon, Ross. I'm thinking about you a lot....

-Jennie

Latest posts

Back