Home Again!! The rest of the story

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Cochran

I got out of the slammer at about 11:00 AM Wednesday, and am now enjoying the comforts of home. Many many thanks to all of you who sent your wishes and prayers...I think it all helped more than you know! Big thanks to my heart buddy Brooks M and his wife Rebecca for the big stuffed bear and balloons :) That cheered me up quite a bit!

My wife Debbie and my kids were real troopers through all of this, but I need to tell you Debbie really hesitatated (knowing many of you are still awaiting surgery) to tell you the whole story. Since I think the exchange of information here is important, and that we all realize things can go wrong, I've decided to share the rest of my story with you. I apologize in advance for any misspellings or ramblings, as I am VERY pump headed. My surgery lasted for over 14 hours, including over 10 hours on the heart lung machine. You read those numbers rigtht. At one point, after having received 25 units of blood, they told my family my chances were at best 50/50. Here's what had happened. I am suspending any personal support for CryoLife SynerGraft valves until quality control issues are resolved to my personal satisfaction.

I started out receiving a CryoLife SynerGraft allograft from a 28 year old donor. It wasn't until the valve was fully installed and my heart restarted that Dr. King realized something was very wrong with my new valve. It continued to seep blood and would not stop. When they pulled on the conduit, it tore. Finally, a decision was made to remove the valve completely and install a SynerGraft from a 50 year old donor. That one ended up working, but by that time I'd had 14 hours of surgery, and had been on and off the heart lung machine 3 times. My family was told I might have a stroke, and/or I might not recover neurologically.

In the last two days, due to the fabulous staff at North Memorial Hospital, I have become a near miracle. On Saturday evening--3 days after surgery--I suddenly "woke up" but had lots of other problems. I had gone from a normal 165 lbs. to 191 lbs. in surgery. All the extra fluid from blood products caused a lot of swelling, and a blood vessel burst in my eye (I look like I've been in a bar fight). Extra fluid in my chest was keeping my lungs from expanding, so early this week they drained it off through needles in my back, with immediate improvement. I'm now breathing just fine, and using my IS religiously.

Many people I can't rememeber came to my room and shook my hand who had played a role on the surgical team...God bless them all! I still can't believe they pulled me through all this. My wife Debbie told them, in the midst of the difficult surgery, "John is a fighter and incredibly stubborn. He won't give up, so get back in there and get to work!" So they did, and here I am. A man could not possibly have a more wonderful wife!

Thank you all again for your kindness and support during this difficult time. Now I'm planning to go smell some roses on this side of the mountain!

God bless you all,
--John

Good grief. That must have been a terrible 14 hours for your family (not that it was easy on you, but at least you were unconscious).

I'm thrilled to hear everything worked out, for the sake of all of you.

Welcome Home!!

Welcome Home!!

Wow, John, what an ordeal! Very glad to see you came through it all intact and are back home. That's a long time on the table, but it sounds like you had a great surgical staff to pull you through.

What does Cryolife say about all of this?

Welcome to the other side of the mountain, and yes, there are a lot of roses here! Here's to a continued speedy recovery....

Wow John. That's quite a story. I'm so glad you are home and are doing better. Please take is easy and let those who are taking care of you do thier job. :)

Your story reflects others I've heard that make us realize this is major surgery and as good as the doctors are and as routine as this surgery may be, complications can occur. Although my surgery went pretty much without a hitch, I did wake up with a different valve then what I expected.

Take care and I hope your recovery is uneventful. You deserve it. :)

Welcome home John! from another Minnesotan

Welcome home John! from another Minnesotan

Hi John,

My name is Jean and I live in Princeton MN. I had my mitral valve repaired just 6 days before you had your surgery done. Mine was Done by Dr. Northrup at Fairview Southdale in Edina.

I thought I had replied to one of your wife's posts, but I can't seem to find it.

I ended up staying in the slammer 8 days myself, (I was told 4-5), just for some minor complications/setbacks, but they were NOTHING compared to what you and your family went through.

It really is amazing what the human body can withstand sometimes, especially some of us stubborn Minnesota types!

Hang in there, and I'll be stopping to smell those flowers along with you on this side of the mountain. :) Jean

John, don't go wandering off like that anymore!

John, don't go wandering off like that anymore!

You know it?s always easier to get to the top of the mountain if you stay on the trail! :eek: lol

Happy to have you here on our mountain. :)

Rain

WOW John-

What an ordeal. The human body is a lot tougher than anyone could imagine. The will to live is extremely important. You have come through a very dark time, and now the sun will come out little by little.

I applaud your wife. It takes a lot of "guts" to go through something like that as a spouse. And I'm sure there were times she had to be very firm and tough. It's a wrenching experience. The spouse can feel very much alone in it all.

My Joe is still recovering from a disastrous gallbladder surgery which included a post surgical bleedout and he came as close to losing his life as I ever want to see in several lifetimes. He had an extended hospital stay. He's recovering slowly, but still chugging along. Throughout it all his bionic heart stayed strong and weathered the storm.

You will recover too. I'm sure home looks wonderful. I'm glad you told the real story. I think it's important for all concerned. It may help someone in the future and we can all learn from every experience, good and bad.

Take care and be well,

You're a brave fellow! You've earned your battle medals.

John you are a champ. What a mess. Thank God you are doing alright. I hope you continue to do well and improve. I can only imagine what your family went thru, big hugs to all of them.
-Mara

John - It is great to have you back. Thanks for all the details. You sounded very eloquent in your posting and even spelled misspelling correctly. Good luck with further recovery.

Hi John,

What an ordeal you went through, and over 14 hours of surgery.
So glad you came through and glad to have you with us and talking to us.
Thanks for telling us the details. Everyone going into surgery needs to know that this surgery is major and that complications can occur at any time.
I had a friend (whom I only knew by phone) last year who did not make it. She was a 70 year old lady and her heart would not start after they took her off the heart/lung machine. They put her on an artificial heart for a few days but her own heart never started up again.

Enjoy each and every day from now on!

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St. Jude's Mechanical

Miracle John

Miracle John

Welcome back, one of the many Johns' I have known in my life. So glad you are still with us. Despite your trials, you are a miracle. Glad you made back to us. Keep hanging in there and do what the doctor's have told you to do to get better. And don't rush anything. Take care.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Despite all of the major problems, you are still with us and that is what counts. Debbie didn't say much, as you can see, to lead any of us to believe that things had gone so rough for you. Your surgery is the kind that happens to me. My bug spared me for now and has shed some light on another problem that I may have with my blood.

Maybe I was supposed to stay home and concentrate on praying for you....As I did and still do!

It's great to see you out and posting. I imagine your pretty tired and stunned. Let me know when you feel like sitting, reading and writing some, I have a few questions for you, if you feel like answering them.

Take care my friend,
Ross

Hi John, So glad to hear you are home again..Take it easy the first 2 weeks and then try to walk, walk, walk,...Helps clear the foggy head..Bonnie

Dear John - looks like your trail to the mountain was just filled with bumps, but as Debbie said - you are tough. I am so happy that you have made it through, as it sounds like it truly could've gone the other way and all of us need to realize this can happen with ANY surgery. And also know that nearly all come through with flying colors. You have been an exception but have brought home to us a lesson we all need to hear from time time. Heart surgery is very MAJOR. Thank you for hanging tough and coming back home to us. God bless

John, glad to hear that all is (finally) well. I had some complications after my surgery 4 years ago, but nothing like yours. It can only get better now!

By the way, I doubt we're related, but my married name is Cochran as well. My husband's family is in Michigan.

No sign of pumpheadedness in your post, John. But reading your story is very sobering. Even in the hands of the best surgeons and their support teams, unexpected things can happen, and that is exactly why you want the experience that they offer because life-altering decisions have to be made fast and under a lot of stress.

Debbie was certainly a cool head and a steady rock in her postings; I can't imagine how she held it together as well as she did. I'm only sorry we didn't really know what she was really going through so we could have offered more support.

Congratulations on still being here and on having the strength--physically and emotionally--to get through what you did!

Welcome back John!

Welcome back John!

I was worried you had some complications, I knew you were planning on being out by now and was expecting a post. Are you following up with more echos or anything to monitor the valve. It's amazing you went through all that and still made it out in a week. It sounds like your confidence in North Memorial and your surgeon was well placed.
Welcome back and don't worry us like that anymore.

Brooks McIntyre
Synergraft AVR - 5/23/02 - Dr. Zehr, Mayo Clinic

hi john!
i was so glad to hear that you are home and well on your way to recovery.
i was, however, sorry to hear that it was such a bumpy ride along the way. your poor family!
hope you all relax now and get some rest.
wishing you an uneventful recovery form here on in.
all the best, sylvia

Good news John

Good news John

I've been away for a wee while ...but I was delighted last night when I returned to see you back recovering well . I'm sorry you had such a bad time and it must have been really scary for your wife John ..but it's good to know that when things get tough the Drs don't give up ..and that they can cope ..sometimes when you are waiting and you just hear the plain sailing accounts one wonders what happens when things do not go so well . I'm truely glad to see you back with us ...Keep well , take things easy and we will all give thanks for you !
Scottie

Debbie was certainly a cool head and a steady rock in her postings; I can't imagine how she held it together as well as she did. I'm only sorry we didn't really know what she was really going through so we could have offered more support.

Mine would have fallen apart, so I have great respect for your wife. I too, wish she would have let us in on this, so that we may have been able to offer some extra support. She gets the award for toughness in a tough situation. :eek:
Heck, even you deserve that same award!

Latest posts

Back