Home after AVR redo!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebbyA

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I came home Sunday afternoon, after Wednesday surgery.

As others have said, the second seemed easier, maybe partly because I sort of knew what to expect, though the surgeon said not easier for him. He's a man of few words, one of those 'the past is past' people, so I'm not sure I'll find out any more, though I am going to request the surgical notes this time.

I felt I got good care at TMC. Most of the staff is young and enthusiastic, with a comforting mix of more seasoned personnel. The only negative was that due to a Friday night, full moon series of disasters I got shipped off to a double room in stepdown sometime Friday night. My roommate and her large and noisy family had the side with the courtyard view--I had the toilet view. By Sunday afternoon I was shaking with frustration from the constant yammering. It did make me walk a lot!

Now I'm back in my blessedly quiet neighborhood. I spent hours out on the patio enjoying birdsong and my view of the Catalinas. Some of the trails we've hiked on continue to summits I can see. I'm hoping my new valve--and a lot of work on my part--will get me up there next year.

I came home Sunday afternoon, after Wednesday surgery.

As others have said, the second seemed easier, maybe partly because I sort of knew what to expect, though the surgeon said not easier for him. He's a man of few words, one of those 'the past is past' people, so I'm not sure I'll find out any more, though I am going to request the surgical notes this time.

I felt I got good care at TMC. Most of the staff is young and enthusiastic, with a comforting mix of more seasoned personnel. The only negative was that due to a Friday night, full moon series of disasters I got shipped off to a double room in stepdown sometime Friday night. My roommate and her large and noisy family had the side with the courtyard view--I had the toilet view. By Sunday afternoon I was shaking with frustration from the constant yammering. It did make me walk a lot!

Now I'm back in my blessedly quiet neighborhood. I spent hours out on the patio enjoying birdsong and my view of the Catalinas. Some of the trails we've hiked on continue to summits I can see. I'm hoping my new valve--and a lot of work on my part--will get me up there next year.

Congrats Debby. Welcome back and wish you speedy recover ^^

Debby,

I saw your valve anniversary greeting to me, and noted that I'd missed an update on you -- and now I see why: you wished me a happy valversary before posting your own update! Again, thank you -- and it is so good to know that my fellow alumnus of Inova Fairfax is doing well after a re-do. Some day I might need your encouragement if I face a re-do -- we all know there is no warranty on these wonderful heart parts and we all lack a crystal ball to tell us what's in store. :smile2:

Glad you are home and enjoying the patio and starting to plan future hikes. The double room that you got shunted to at the hospital sounds like a horrible situation -- lots of noisy people; exactly what's not needed. Anyway, it must be an extra relief to be home now. Wishing you a smooth and stress-free recovery from now on

I have been looking for an 'update', too and am so glad to see you post! What a nightmare to be dealing with noisy people so early in your recovery. Now you can truly 'recover' in the comforts of your own home.
Thinking of you and sending best wishes for a speedy recovery!

DebbyA,
I'm glad you surgery was successful and you're now at home. Here's to a quick and pain free recovery!

Debby,
Glad you-re finally home and can rest, recoup and heal...There is "No Place like you're own bed"...Continued success and healing.... :)

Back