Holding pattern

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTZdad

So far so good in regard to my recovery. Aside from some serious pain between my shoulders, I'm feeling good. Looks like my hopes for release are being held up by my INR. Originally I had hoped that I would be getting a CT scan on Monday and then hit the road but that isn't in the cards. :frown2: My INR isn't close to where they want it and I will be fortunate to leave on Tuesday. I get to hurry up and wait to see how long it will take. I'm walking at least 5-6 times a day and don't have anything connected to me anymore. I took my first shower yesterday afternoon. It felt unbelievablly good, but then it kind of sucked afterwards because I was so cold when it was over. We went up to the rooftop this afternoon and my wife performed an Easter egg hunt for our four-year old son. He had a blast and it was the first time that I have felt anything resembling a normal life. Sleep has been a difficult goal to achieve, but I still feel pretty good considering. Looks like I'll be hanging out here for a little longer than I would like but it won't be the end of the world I suppose.

My INR was slow to cooperate and held me hostage in hospital for an extra week with an IV of heparin. But after that the INR
was in range perfectly.
It sounds like you are having a very good day and occasionally there will be a less than stellar day, but it all gets better.
Happy Easter !!

You guys were lucky, I left the hospital with an INR of 1.4 or something like that. I was worried about stroking out but kept it to myself. They ordered me to follow up with my cardio a week later for another INR check and to take 5mg of wafarin everyday.

To the hospital staff it seemed like no big deal that I was low and they weren't the least bit concerned about it. Turns out my INR didn't get into range until 2 weeks after I was out of the hospital. Now I have a home tester and my INR hasn't been much of a problem and I eat and drink whatever I want including alcohol. I do notice traces of blood when I blow my nose in the morning from time to time and that I bruise much easier but other then that no big deal.

As far as "feeling normal" after surgery... Well I'm still waiting for that and its been 8 months since the surgery. Don't get me wrong most of the day I feel pretty well but if I can describe it, its like 2 shots of happy and 1 shot of sad and I'm not talking depression symptoms but funky heart beats, what feels like chest pain, lethargy, sometimes I have the sensation to take deep breaths.

Its not all bad, recently I've been able to run/jog 4 miles at a 12 minute a mile pace... This is something I was never able to do my whole life. If you ask me the first year after the surgery is just the beginning, expect to get used to your new life within 12-36 months post operation, if you feel like a million buck before the first year consider yourself BLESSED! Truth is we are all BLESSED just to be alive but you know what I mean.

Sorry that things aren't going exactly as planned, but this is only a small bump in the road. You will be home before you know it. Hang in there!

I am very familiar with the shoulder pain. The best remedy I found were massage (deep tissue type...not the relaxing, soft music, smelly oil type) and a good heating pad.

My experience is same to Julians when it came to being checked out. I left the hospital with INR 1.1 on day 3. No one seemed concerned at all about it. I achieved my INR of 2.0 (lowest range for me) on the 11 day after the surgery or 7th day at home. There were no Lovenox shots, and no freaking out from my doctors. Everyone has kept it cool and assured me that we are going to be fine. Not sure if this is because our clotting factors are all off whack for some time after the surgery or because it's On-X valve and I am also taking baby aspirin once a day every day. Either way, you will soon be out and at home.

Keep posting up the good news, and awesome job on walking loads. Also, sleep in the hospital sucks but as soon as you are home things will be on a very good, fast uptick.

Hang in there Tom, I hope you get to go home soon. But they will get it all squared away. Glad you enjoyed the Easter egg hunt!! Talk with you soon

They came in this morning to announce that my INR has finally reached 1.9 and they're letting me out of here. Slowly but surely...it's a great surprise. Instead of having my birthday here, I get to share it with my family at the hotel. I plan on recapping the events of the past week once we get back to Denver. So excited!!

Tom

Tom,

Congratulations on going home. It's gonna feel so good. You will start feeling so much better each day. Don't worry about the INR. It'l get there soon enough. Some good time coming up to watch TV and play games with your son.

And......................................................no more hospital food.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Gary

Latest posts

Back