Hip replacement at Duke, August 25! New bridging.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maryka

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Well, my (newish) Hopkins cardiologist wrote me a certification so I can go ahead and have that right hip replaced. I am plenty scared, since, unlike my OHS, this one is sort-of optional. Ross, I am holding you responsible if the hip ends up worse after the replacement, ha ha! But, seriously, it is back to the darned Lovenox shots, it seems. Will the hospital/medical people do Lovenox shots for me in the two days after the surgery?:confused2:

Yes, they'll give you the shots while your in the hospital.

You won't be a happy camper when you wake up. It hurts. I'm not going to lie. Worse then OHS! You should have a patient self administering pain pump. Just stay ahead of the pain if you can. I was so drugged up that I kept forgetting to push the darn button. You'll likely want to kill them when they first get you up and out of bed. That's normal. It's going to take you about 3 or more days to begin to tolerate it. It's a long recovery, but like with OHS, you can do it.

You may want to have a discussion with your Cardiologist and the Hip Surgeon about when to resume the Lovenox injections following surgery about balancing the Risk of Bleeding versus the Risk of Stroke. Starting the Lovenox injections before the incisions have healed sufficiently to prevent bleeding could result in bleeding issues. Waiting 24 or 48 hours may be advisable. Ask your Cardiologist when he thinks it best to resume Lovenox and have him convey his recommendaiton to the Surgeon.

My dad had double hip replacement 20 years ago. It helped him so much and he is still going strong. The technology has come far since then, and Duke is a great hospital (for heart and orthopedics). So you will be in good hands. You'll be kicking it up in no time. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back