High pulse post surgery....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triathlete girl

I am new to this site - it was invaluable in the two weeks before my surgery. I was training for Ironman CDA in June when I started having trouble breathing and running. Short story on 4/18 I found out my bicuspid valve was severely stenotic and I had an aortic aneurysm (5cm). I had surgery on 5/2 and turned 50 on 5/27 - recovery has gone well, but my resting heart rate (5 weeks post surgery) is 88-100; pre surgery to was 60-70. Will it return to pre-surgery level (if so any idea how long this can take?). If not, will this effect my ability to train for triathlons in the future? I hope to start cardiac rehab in the next week or so, any comments in how to ease back into training would also be appreciated. I have a porcine valve (Coumadin was not an option for me) and aortic graph.....thanks for any comments.

My RHR was also high after surgery, but got back down to the mid-50s within 4-6 months. Elevated HR after heart surgery seems to happen to everyone so don't worry about it!

I'm not sure I was particularly good about 'easing' back into training after each of my surgeries, but your body will let you know what you can and cannot do. Give yourself the full three months before you do anything that resembles IM training though, and then start exercising like someone who has been a couch potato for a while. You'll get it back! The C25K running program is a good place to start with running.

You may actually find that cardiac rehab drives you up a wall, as you know how to eat properly and you're probably already far ahead of the other people who will be there in terms of exercise - they'll be much older than you and certainly not driven to get a PB on the treadmill every time. :)

One thing to look out for is deterioration of your new valve, as tissue valves don't last as long in younger athletes as in older sedentary types. If you search on this site you'll find more info on that, and your surgeon/cardiologist will know more as well.

Good luck with the IM training - I'm aiming to take my shiny new valve to IM in Western Australia in 2015!!

Thanks ski girl - Good to know it may just take some time fir the pulse to settle down. I know cardiac rehab will be "interesting" but I feel like it will be movement forward and hopefully I will also be release to sit in a stationary bike, yoga etc. I understand tissue valve may wear out and second surgery could be in my future (fingers crossed by then it no longer requires sternum severing!) particularly with such training. I was really concerned about "ticking" noise and last year I crashed and broke a collar bone - common for cyclists but huge problem if on via admin. Would love to know how you like the mechanical. Best for IM in Western Aus - make it a Smashfest!

TG my first op I got a tissue valve for the same reasons as you - mainly, I expected to hurt myself in various sports!! 10.5 months later I got acute endocarditis which did so much damage that I was told it was mech this time as there was no way anyone would be able to do a third op in there. I was devastated - but several months later I took up mountain biking. :)

I've had absolutely no issues with the warfarin even when I have crashed hard (I have flown over the handlebars several times). So when you need a re-do, don't be afraid to go mech!

BTW at five weeks post-op there is no reason you shouldn't be using the stationary bike, just don't do intervals ;-) . . . I was on mine at three weeks post-op. As for yoga - wait until the sternum heals, give it the full three months.

Smashfest indeed!!!! Same to you.

Hi

I had surgery on 5/2 and turned 50 on 5/27 - recovery has gone well,

excellent, glad to hear it :)

but my resting heart rate (5 weeks post surgery) is 88-100; pre surgery to was 60-70. Will it return to pre-surgery level

its pretty common to have that. Mine sat on 120 in hospital and steadilly came down over about a year of working at it till my resting rate was about 67 ... where it is more or less now.

I've been able to do some good cross country skiing (personal training, not events) and been very happy with my rates last winter.

(if so any idea how long this can take?).

I think its person to person dependent on many factors (previous fitness, training frequency). My view is do not over do it from the start ... even if you take a year off competition, well ... compared to not having the surgery you will get back to competition ;-)

I have a porcine valve (Coumadin was not an option for me) and aortic graph.....thanks for any comments.

what is the value of adding this? I mean you have the valve, you made a decision ... if you have medical reasons for avoiding warfarin well and good, if you have misconceptions that guided that well what difference does that make now?

Now that you have a valve forget about the decision process and just live with it and enjoy your life.

Best Wishes

I still have a high pulse at 6 months but have only been in cardio rehab for 2 . It is often 80 sitting
70 in bed, 98 doing house stuff 103-5 walking slowly on errands. Cant wait for it to go back
To 60's! But my BP has dropped nicely and I am recovering quicker and increasing my workload.
I think I will see it drop. I am 53. My cardio dr says I will be able to lift weights and do interval training.
Eventually.:)

My resting heart rate is higher post op at six months too, it's usually in the 80's instead of low 70's. I'm doing cardiac rehab and lifting weights though, no problem. I wear a heart rate monitor when lifting weights and see that my heart rate recovers nice and quick, even if my resting heart rate is still higher than before surgery. My blood pressure is also higher than before surgery - I'm more concerned about that to be honest !

Will it return to pre-surgery level (if so any idea how long this can take?). If not, will this effect my ability to train for triathlons in the future? I hope to start cardiac rehab in the next week or so, any comments in how to ease back into training would also be appreciated. I have a porcine valve (Coumadin was not an option for me) and aortic graph.....thanks for any comments.
Yes, it should return to normal levels within a few months, mine did. This shouldn't effect your ability to train, but you need to hold back until your Dr. lifts all restrictions, which should be pretty soon for you. As far as training, I just started with walking. Added light exercise bike and then started swimming easy once restrictions were lifted. I don't compete so now when I feel like I need to push myself I take that as the time to back off and slow down. I think that's a good way to start out, along with taking it easy. See how it goes and don't be in too much of a hurry. You can talk to your Dr. but I would expect you could target to be training like you were previously within 6 months to a year - probably at a higher level since you now have a new valve.

I'm not sure how much you should expect from Cardiac rehab. I was exercising on my own and my Dr. said I was already beyond what they would have me do so I never bothered with it.

I am continuing to see small improvements. I still have a lot of fear of working out hard
Outside of the cardio rehab. But I am really odd man out there. I am going to a second facility that
Is run by exercise physiologists. I will start next week. And I am very excited about it.
I have started tiny interval training 20 minutes 1:3 intervals. I feel a lot of hope now that I can
Lift more weights too. Obviously I am on the slow to recover side, but it is changing. Resting is 77 most often.
Now If I can just enjoy an loud action movie without BP or pulse response! :)

Back