High Altitude and INR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajc1991

Hello, I'm planning to go to Mammoth Lakes, CA which has an elevation of 7,880. I will be there for 5 days. I was wondering if high altitude has an effect on INR? I've looked online and found conflicted findings.

Thank you,
Alex

Hi

what sort of sites gave you conflicting advice and which was "no difference" and which was "be worried"? I'm willing to bet sites with low veracity were the conflicting ones.

ultimately you'll only be there for 5 days, so firstly its stupid to attempt to alter your dose for such a small time. Secondly that isn't actually "high altitude ... try everest climbs with a mechanical valve ... that's high altitude.

http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...rest-base-camp

I'd call the above a guide, but it lacks any actual statement. Indeed it was like saying "well if we consider the facts carefully there could be evidence to support such a thing although we have no mechanism and no data to support conclusions. In conclusion we find that there is a possible chance"

Their only relevant citation was this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16544965

and there is only mention of what I "read between the lines as" unhealthy elderly people ... no mention of healthy AVR folks.

Myself I wouldn't worry unless I was intending to stay up there a few weeks.

do you do your own INR testing?

I know 7,880 isn't the highest altitude out there, but it's significantly higher than the altitude in which I live in.

The above site you linked was one of the sites I found. All together, the sites really come to no conclusion of whether higher altitude can attribute to INR instability.

I go to the Coumadin clinic to have my INR tested. And I do not have a machine.

My self I woudn't worry

like you way 7880 isn't challenging.

If you were going to be there for a month then I'd perhaps consider it. If it was a place where you needed oxygen to live (like Everest) I'd consider it. For 5 days at piddling altitudes like that ... you won't even be able to be sure that any INR change you were to read was due to what you did or just the normal variances.

Enjoy your holiday and stress about something else.

knowledge is power - power is confidence - self testing gives knowledge and you aren't under another captain

Latest posts

Back