Hiccups vs. Evil Sneeze

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Stephens

The hiccups are gone, hallelujah! For about the last 4 days in the hospital and 4 or 5 days after I got home, I had a case of persistent hiccups. Apparently there is a nerve (frenic?) near the diaphragm that sometimes gets irritated during surgery. It was the most frustrating part of my immediate post-op situation, sapping my strength and positive attitude.

The doctors were not able to offer much. In very extreme cases, they could offer Thorazine (!), but it only works on some people, and has strong sedative effects that they felt would set me back. So, I had a situation where the docs and nurses were absolutely the best and most compassionate I could have hoped for, but they essentially told me I had to tough it out.

I had a humorous moment in my room where a couple of cardiac surgery residents and a senior fellow were all showing me different folk remedies to cure hiccups...drinking water out of the wrong side of a glass...holding your nose while taking exactly six sips of water..etc.

One day in the middle of a hiccup session, the EVIL SNEEZE came to visit..bam bam bam. Hiccups stopped. This happened a couple of times over the next day or two, until I figured it out. Soon, I was able to summon a sneeze on demand to stop the hiccups. Yes, they hurt, but it was better than the (&()&@@## hiccups.

They finally just stopped. Yay!!!

Not sure if anyone else here had the bad hiccups?

I don't remember any hiccups, but boy do I remember the rapid fire sneezing! There weren't enough pillows in the world to cushion the old chest, and even if there would have been, they wouldn't have been in reach for the unknowing and unexpected.

Now if I get the hiccups...........:D

OUCH!!!!

OUCH!!!!

Hi Johnny ...delighted to see you back on form ...although the hiccups and the dreaded sneeze sound awful I'm glad to see you didn't leave your sense of humour on the operating table ...I hope you continue to recovery well ..take care
Scottie

Johnny-
The sneezes were much more painful for me than the hiccups. but, both were a drag. But, I never had them as badly as you. At least you got to see humorous residents!

Glad you are doing much better.

-Mara

Hi Johnny,

Sorry to hear about the hiccups.

My post (bypass) surgery nuisance was a cough that was triggered by talking. It seemed like every second cyllable was coughed out. If I didn't talk, I was OK, (most of the time). That lasted for several weeks.

'AL'

Hi Johnny,

Glad to hear that you're 'on the mend'. Here's wishing for no more hiccups, coughs and sneezes for a while!!! Soon it will ease up and you'll be 'laffin' out loud' every chance you get!

Take care,

Zipper

coughing?

coughing?

Hi Johnny, How did you like your stay at the UW? I like that hospital. You'll be up sooner than you know moving heavy furniture around. That's all I've been doing for the past three days. We just got a HUGE shipment of stuff from my family in MN, and they called me one morning and said that the trucker would be here that day. I was like "AHHHHHH!" anyways, I moved a lot of furniture,a nd lifted a lot in three days.

I remember when they extubated me, I had so much crap in my lungs that I had to cough and THAT hurt! I didn't wake up until 11:30 at night, and I came out of surgery at 10:00 in the morning! I am so glad that's sll over with for a long time now, though. I am looking at at least 2 more surgeriesFor me the sneeze didn't come until I got home. It hurt BAD! But, my mom gave me this little pillow that I could take everywhere. I made the mistake of letting her drive one of our cars after my surgery and it happens to be a stick, and she hasn't driven a 5 speen in like 10 years... She jerked it so much that I thought the seat belt was a jack hammer on my chest. OUCH! Well, heal well!

My stay at UWMC couldn't have been better, given the circumstances. The ICU staff, the nurses on the cardiac floor, and Dr. Verrier's stafff were all great. Dr. Verrier's assistant even called me at home this morning to check up on me.

I have no immediate plans to move any heavy furniture, so I think I'm good there. ;)

Hey

Hey

Dear Johnny,

That sneezing must have been unnerving. It would have made me psychotic to the point that I would have needed Thorazine! Glad to hear you are good. It is amazing that you have 2 mechanical valve's in your heart. Does the sound or forceful beat ever bother you?

Greg

I almost never hear the valves...in fact I seem to have to make a deliberate effort to hear them in most cases. There is a very small, quiet room in my house where I seem to hear them more, but during the course of the day I never think about it.

I haven't heard them today, for example.

I've not experienced the "forceful beat" that I've seen many others mention on here.

Fortunate Man

Fortunate Man

Johnny,

You are very fortunate that those valves took to you like a fish takes to water! You can hear me clicking all the way down the hall. Now, I don't know if it is because I am so darn skinny. I am 6'4'' and I weigh 170lbs. I have lost a lot of weight and muscle. I plan to put the weight back on and get some muscle mass back. Your surgery results appear to be spectacular. My recovery is a little slower. I spoke with my surgeon's nurse and I told her about my symptoms and she encouraged me to be patient as it takes a long time to heal. Now that you have dropped all that water weight, you are ready to run the marathon! Best wishes to you and may you keep feeling better day by day. I wish the same for myself.

Truly,

Greg

I think that Dr. Verrier is a very good surgeon. The only problem I had when I was recovering from my surgery, was i kinda got addicted to the percodan and perocet, and coming off them gave me bad headaches. I am off them now though, and have no problems. I am actually 9 months post op. To be honest, I miss going to Seattle all the time. I really owe my doctors a lot! I have been looking forward to going back for my 1 year post op appointment. THe only meds I take are, 325 MG aspirin BID: 25 MG metoprolol BID: and 250MG of PEnicillin BID. Once I hit 40, I can quit the penicillin, but will probably end up taking coumadin then. PLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLP! Well, I better get going. Oh and Greg, I am 5'4" and weigh 110. Before this whold ordeal, I only weighed 80. When you are all healed, you will be so healthy and feel so good, you will pump up to your original muscle mass. Take it easy, and PATIENCE! It's the best thing for you right now.

Latest posts

Back