HI Suggestion Plzz- Mitral Valve disorder

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhishek

Hi guys,

I had been reading a lot of threads lately from this blog! thanks to all fantastic users for sharing it all for all of us. the blog has helped me a lot in updating my knowledge and concern.

I am recently detected with Valvular disorder i.e. Mitral Valve prolapse(degenerative one) and severe 4/4 mitral valve regurgitation, I am asymptomatic. I had consulted a few surgeons in India and they have advised me to go for a repair/replacement at the earliest as my heart is in dilation mode now. But before going for a surgery I would like to know few thinks like:
:confused2: Which surgery technique I should opt for in minimal invasive? the robotic one or endoscope one and why? One surgeon has also suggested me to go for open chest surgery.??
:confused2:The criteria for selecting the surgeon in case I go for MICS?? Or Pl tell me if anyone knows who are the best MICS surgeons in India for MV repair?
:confused2: In case repair is not possible as told by the surgeons, they said they will replace the valve, which they will decide on the Operation Table, In that case Pl suggest me which valve I should opt for and why? I am 31 & presently living with my beautiful wife and two kids.
:confused2: How is life after surgery?? longevity of MV repair/replacement?

regards,
Abhishek

Welcome aboard!

:rolleyes2: Chose a surgeon/surgery center. Let them assist you with this decision based on their experience and capabilities.

:rolleyes2: No sure.

:rolleyes2: After having gone through two OHS, I would recommend a mechanical in order to help to avoid a re-operation. However, as a 31 year old, I would find it hard to chose to be on comadin.

:rolleyes2: Life after surgery should be great! You will have a heart that is working much more effeciently and effectively allowing you to feel great and do so much more with your time.

Best of luck to you
Scott

Hey Scott,

Thanks a lot!
I appreciate your valuable feedback! But would like to know more about anticoagulant and associated pre -cautions/risks?? Here few surgeons are suggesting me to opt for tissue valve as it will give me a quality life and claiming that, with new tissue valves now which last for 20 years and more & with the medical technology advancement re-operation won't be a big deal in future. Is it true??

thanks once again for your best wishes..........

Abhishek

Hi Abhishek,

Welcome to Vr. Happy you found us.

Most of us have learned from our surgeons and doing our research and reading that tissue valve implanted in young people do not usually provide many years of viability. It would not be unreasonable to think it could be a ten year maximum but no one can say for absolutely sure about anyone. The data does seem to show tissue valves implanted in people 60 years and over can well last 20 years. Again, they don't know for sure as the new generation of the 'best' new tissue valves have not been around that long but predicated on their predecessors and what improvements have been made many surgeons and cardios will say one could reasonably hope for 20 years.

Yes.... they are already starting to do percutaneous replacements. That method and procedure has been approved for use in U.S. but it is mostly those too ill to have conventional surgery that are having cath replacements. That is rapidly changing and some countries are doing many. My surgeon at one of the top U.S. heart centers firmly believe percutaneous replacements will soon be commonplace.

I would never begin to tell anyone what valve they should get.

I chose a bovine tissue valve. For ME, that was the right choice. I did not want a life time of coumadin and worried about a loudly ticking valve. My surgeon was definite in advising me he can never predict which patients will have a 'louder' valve and which more quiet. The most petite, little lady might have a quiet one while a large, barrel chested man might have a loud one. Body shape and size are not factors. As it turned out, my surgeon ordered three months of coumadin post op until own tissue grew over the valve and I knew in advance of surgery he would require that. Fine. But I learned I needed a Very large dose in order to try to reach the range he wanted me in. Despite good coumadin management, I was always just short and when my surgeon watched how my dose kept increasing, he told me to stop. He did not want me continuing on such a high dose it took to get me to range. Had I gotten a mechanical valve, I would have been taking a huge dose for the rest of my life. That was something I could not have known in advance so I was lucky the choice I had made. But I am considerably older than you.

This is one time in your life you must do the reading, the thinking, the questioning, and the decision making. Only You can make that choice. There are VERY valid reasons why to choose either type valve. The only bad choice you can make is to not make a choice and not go forward with your surgery.

You have reason to expect a very, very high quality of life with your family for a full, long life. This is remarkably successful surgery in the vast majority of cases. The most important thing for you to do now is educate yourself to best make your valve choice and to consult with surgeons and cardiologists until you find one you have trust and confidence is the best for you. Look for a surgeon who does lots of valve repairs and replacements, not just one who does lots of by-passes. You want that extra skill.

All best wishes.

But would like to know more about anticoagulant and associated pre -cautions/risks??

Welcome Abhishek. Warfarin, the anit-coagulant most used for mechanical heart valves, has been a predictable and easy drug for me to manage, although it is not without risk, especially if you "play fast and loose with it". If you can develop a simple regimen of taking the pill as prescribed and testing routinely (at clinic or home self testing), serious proglems should not occur. My valve, or ACT(AntiCoagulant Therapy) has never seriously interfered with my life, lifestyle or activities. The "up side" is that one mechanical valve may last your lifetime, but no guarantees. I was also 31 when I had the surgery and received a mechanical valve since that was the only valve commercially available in 1967. As it has turned out, it was a very good choice and it seems that my valve will take me all the way. Read, do your homework, ask questions, weigh your choices and make your decision. The important thing is that your life will be better after heart surgery....and surgery, today, is dooable and not a really big deal.....so they tell me:smile2:.

Hi Jkm7

I am thankful to you for sparing time for me and giving such a valuable advice. Its making me feel better and I hope this will help me a lot in taking my decision.

thx and take care

Latest posts

Back