hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennie

Hi folks!

Just checking in here! Yesterday was eight weeks since my surgery, and I started back to work today, for just six hours (instead of usual 9-1/2). I'll do the same tomorrow and into next week, and then I should be back to "normal"??? Yeah, right!! By 12:30, I was more than ready to get home to a nap. On my end, I really didn't tell folks at work that I was having surgery, just the boss and a few close co-workers. Word got out to a few folks, but it was fairly contained. I didn't see too many people today, but the few that I saw didn't seem to think it terribly suspicious that I was out for two months...??!! But, there's a bunch of folks that I haven't come across yet, so I may have to dodge some questions yet! I must say, I didn't get too much done today in terms of actual work, other than reading (useless) emails.

I saw my cardio here in DC on Monday. I got some happy pills, the depression was just a little too much for me. Though, to be honest, this is nothing new, I should've been on these a LONG time ago. The last two years have been very difficult, the emotional roller-coaster, as I'm sure all of you, my heart buddies here, are familiar with. For me, the surgery was the "easy" part! And then a month later, it was like WHAM, emotional jet lag. Getting overwhelmed with everything, and just SAD, crying and all that, with no sign of it letting up. I'm glad that I got these before heading back to work, as I just wasn't feeling too up to it. Anyway, to help out anyone else here that may be struggling with this: my cardio said that almost everyone who comes through his door post-surgery has some form of depression. He said what we've been through is equivalent to the loss of a loved one, and takes a year to deal with, like a period of mourning, grieving. Your body is no longer as it was, basically. It's to be expected. And they have stuff to help with that, so go for it.

He also put me back on the Altace (ACE Inhibitor), which I was on before surgery, to ease the load on my heart, and he plans to keep me on it until my heart returns to normal size, if that ever happens. My surgeon thinks it will, but that it would take six to twelve months. My DC guy isn't convinced one way or the other. Anyway, he's not going to put me up to as high a dose as before, so I shouldn't be as close to the passing-out zone (I forget the term for this - hypo or hyper something...!)

So, back to work plus two new meds, in one day! I'm just very very tired, that's all I can say. My couch, my bed, the laz-e-boy chair, the floor - I'm good buddies with them all. It was frustrating for quite a while there, I was trying to do stuff then running out of energy and motivation, and getting discouraged about it. Now, I'm reaching for the novel, who cares if the place is a dump...! Maybe the happy pill is making me tired, I know that can be a side effect - if so, I'll try taking it at night instead.

Otherwise, I'm scheduled to go back to Mayo Clinic for a four-month checkup on August 19-20, tests to include echo, chest x-ray, ekg, and holter monitor. I wasn't expecting this, I thought I wouldn't be back until my one-year date....

SO, that's all for now!

-JEnnie

Sorry to hear about your depression Jennie.

How much are you walking?

EXERCISE not only helps you regain your strength but it is also a MOOD Elevator. It might help to 'push' yourself, even if you don't feel up to it at first. Pretty soon, you should discover that little by little, you have more energy and can go further and last longer than the day before.

Good Luck,

'AL'

Congratulations on going back to work, Jennie! I also went back to work this week, and can completely relate to being tired. I feel good when I'm there, but when I get home, BAM! I'm out like a light in the LA-Z-Boy!

Don't worry about the depression, it's very normal following this major surgery. In fact, my surgeon told me that those who don't have at least some period of the blues are in the minority.

Take it easy, don't run yourself down!

Hi Jennie,

I remember when I went back to work, 8 wks post-op, being very tired and could hardly make the 8 hr. shift..6 hrs is a much better way to start back. I work in Er admitting and everyone was very supportive and helpful. The depression is quite normal...even tho depressing..lol. I understand it's almost a 'given' for heart patients to be on anti-depressants. I agree..take whatever help you can get thru this time!

Take it slow and easy as you can..the 'dust' will be there...consider hiring someone to come in and clean...I did and they still come 4 yrs later even tho I only work part-time. No harm in spoiling yourself, if possible!!

Take care,

Zipper *~*

Hi Jennie,

Congrats! Bet it feels good to get out of the home bound routine and back to work. I eased into it when I returned. I think that is a good idea! Sounds like you have a good plan worke out with your boss. Just work up to your normal day, don't jump into it all at once, and if you really feel tired, listen to your body, and don't be affraid to go home and rest. Many of us have found that shortly after returning to work, everyone there forgets too quickly what you have just been through, and place high demands and long hours on you. Pacing yourself at first will help insure many more good years ahead.

Good Luck,

Rob

Hey Jennie
I hope things are going well at work. Don't let them give you too much too soon.

I am on the happy pills, too and started before my surgery, mostly because I wanted to smack people all the time. I was very short tempered pre-op. I guess it was stress from the wedding. Anyway, I had some depression post-op and was glad for the happy pills. They just make you very even. Like the other day, I was painting and got a huge glob of lavendar paint on the nice white walls, previously I would have totally freaked, but now I just painted over it and moved on. Ahhh better living through chemistry.

Eating right, getting restful sleep (sometimes hard post-op) and exercise are great, too.

Good Luck!
-Mara

Congratulations Jennie!

Your report brings back lots of memories.

I remember at 6 and even 7 weeks post-op, I couldn't imagine going back to work full time. But, in those weeks, I progressed a lot and, by 8 weeks, had no problem going back. I certainly had more energy and stamina than before surgery.

By the way, Dr. Zehr called and talked to me the other day. He was truly insightfuly and I'm extremely grateful that he has taken such an interest in my case. I just sent him the actual videos of my echos and will send him the video of the TEE I will be doing July 1.

Until then, I'm still not sure if I'm in the post-op or pre-op phase! I am doing much better, though, with only minimal wooziness and edema on the ankles over the last week. Still a lot of fatigue, though. I'm working 8 hours a day, but, like you and some others here, totally crash after I come home.

Godspeed with the rest of your recovery.

Steve

Glad to hear you are ok

Glad to hear you are ok

Dear Jennie,

Kinda lost track of you. I got some info. through other folks and was glad to hear you are ok. I went back to work 5 weeks post op (20 hours/week) and within the first 1/2 hour I was breathless and had to retreat to my office. I found that it was more difficult talking with co-workers versus seeing my patients. Co-workers are interested in how you are doing and just talking would make me tired. I'm doing cardiac rehab. and I am up to 35 minutes of cardio. I still get tired and I still get palpatations. I have to remind myself that I am still recovering. I really had a rough time post op. It was much worse than my first surgery. I would also cry very easily. Everytime someone came to visit me I became overwhelmed and began to cry (in a thankful way). I wasn't nasty to anybody. I was just Mr. Cry Cry. I would listen to nice music and CRY. I would see a baby and CRY. I think I even cried when the traffic light turned orange! Anyway, best wishes to you and I hope that you go to Vegas for the reunion.

Thanks for all the encouragement here! I just finished my first week at work - half-days - and last night I was feeling really good - almost "normal"!! I've been cutting down on the naps a bit, I'm still not sure that I would be able to make it through a full day (we'll see what happens on Monday!!) The happy pills are certainly helping, and I started taking them at night instead of the morning, so that most of the "drowsy" effects happen while I'm alseep. This is also helping with my insomnia troubles, so I think just getting a decent night's sleep is doing wonders for me, too. I was feeling pretty good on the half-dose, but how do I know this is enough? Especially when it takes one to four weeks to kick in? I don't want to take too much, right? Last night I took the full dose before bed - we'll see. I don't want to be TOO happy and not react properly when driving and stuff like that, but I don't want to not take enough and miss out on the full benefits. Any thots?

And thanks for the reminders to exercise - I think that sometimes I say, wow, I did so much today, surely that counts towards "exercise" - but really, it doesn't, does it?! I work in a huge building - almost like a mall, with the hallways in a big 'track' on the inside, overlooking the big lobby in the center. So, every now and then I abandon my desk and go for a couple laps around the building, and sort of get some exercise throughout the day. Helps me come back and concentrate on work, too. I was told that I couldn't get approved for Cardiac Rehab, because that's for "bypass people". So, in a month or so I may check back into my gym here (after two years!) and talk with a personal trainer to see what they might suggest. My cardio says walking is really all I need, and I've come to enjoy that - to think and de-stress and just be outside and away from everything.

I've been using some of my "off" time to try to get the home scene back to "normal". A friend of mine came over last weekend, the place was a disaster, I was crashed out on the couch, and the next thing I know she was hauling out the trash, throwing laundry in, stripping my bed, vaccuuming, doing dishes.... Two hours of someone with energy and motivation, unbelievable. A lesson to me in how to help others who've been through surgery. And all this heart junk - notes, printouts, books, pill bottles - I'm going to sort it all and put it in the bottom drawer of the file cabinet. And then...??? :eek: I'm going to have "free time"!! I'm going to have to dig up some of my old hobbies, if I can remember what those were!!!! I may even have to plan a vacation!! :D

Johnny - I hope you're doing okay with your work scene! Hang in there!!
Mara - I can't imagine someone as sweet as you, wanting to "smack" people!! :p But glad to hear I'm not the only one on the happy pills....
Steve - Waiting to hear the TEE report!! BEst wishes!!

all 4 now,
Jennie

Last edited:
Exercise

Exercise

Jennie,
I'm so glad to hear you are improving and getting your life back. I get really disgusted with the idea pushed by some insurance companies that valve replacement patients don't need a formal rehab program. I just finished my second week of hospital-based rehab, and it has been great! I come in, get hooked up to a monitor, and they take my BP before I start, again during exercise, and again when I'm done. Someone is monitoring my heart rythmn and rate the entire time. This allows me to be MUCH more aggressive safely than I would ever have dared to be at home. The result is that, after just two weeks, I am doing 40 minutes of aerobic exercise and am just beginning very light resistance training to get the muscle tone back in my arms and shoulders. Because the staff has worked with so many sternotomies, they know what is safe and what is not. Also, this level of exercise helps stave off the depression, I think. The advice some of the folks gave me here (thanks Brooks and Nancy) about bright light and being outside really helps! I do my rehab program Monday, Wednesday and Friday, then walk outside on the other days. Other than some remaining soreness and a little achiness, I am feeling pretty dang good! Food is tasting better and better, and I seem to be getting my attention span back after the 14 hours of anesthesia during surgery (10 hours on the heart/lung machine didn't help either).

Anyhow, I am a firm believer that some kind of regular structured aerobic exercise helps with everything from healing to depression. Maybe one of the trainers at your gym has experience with cardio patients? I know many of our health clubs here have trainers who work with post-op cardiac patients. Not quite the same without the monitoring, but it is surely better than nothing.

Hang in there, Jennie, and keep us posted!
--John

Jennie

Jennie

Glad you are back to work, but like everyone else here says, take it one day at a time. You have to be monitore the first year, so going back even a few weeks later is to make sure everything is doing fine. Just take it easy and you will be better soon. It does take time, I am in my nine months fo recovery and still have good days and bad. But just take your time and never mind the mess. People who care will help. You just make sure to walk for exercise. I lost ten pounds in the past months from walking. So it can help you feel better also. Keep hanging in there.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic Valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Latest posts

Back