Hi- another (active) BAV guy here

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anthony (Thief) - From all that I've read, both here and in formal publications, there has been no proven link between how hard you work your heart and the rate of "wear" on your valves. We have all been told that there is essentially nothing in our lifestyles that affects the progression of valve disease. It just happens, and differently for each of us. So, don't worry - live your life and do all that you can do.

Steve is spot on. While your results may differ, your activities do not speed up the disease. Other things will kill ya faster. My point is live your life to what your body allows you to do with not too much discomfort, get your defects (valve, aorta, etc) fixed, and then live some more and train some more. Reps vs Weights argument is a bit outdated or at least has no documented and/or academic proof. If you have a confirmed aneurysm, high intro-thoracic pressures from lifting might be a bit dangerous (again, a bit is defined by your risk tolerance), but with BAV only and no confirmed aneurysm your risk is not that high so train and enjoy.

Cardiologist (No 2) tried to dissuade me from lifting weights. She showed me guidelines discouraging 'isometric exercise' and competitive sports. There goes my netball career. But seriously, I didn't think 'isometric exercise' referred to simple lifting. Anyway, I've reduced the weights I work with. I haven't felt like running, but I'm spending a bit of time on the stationary bike.

I was diagnosed with BAV at age 30 and had the valve replaced at age 53. As I watched my metrics change over the years, the one message I received from the several cardios who saw me was "feel free to work out hard with no limitations, but avoid heavy weights and isometric exercise". What they're concerned about is a sudden surge in blood pressure that would put excessive strain on already weakened heart and vascular tissue. Sounds simple enough until you try to define "heavy". What's heavy for one person may be light as a toothpick for another. Not to be gross, but what about straining while on the toilet?

Certainly, you shouldn't be pushing someone's car to unstick it from the snow, but try to get detailed specifics on what you actually can and can't do and you'll be frustrated. If we could wear a monitor to give us readings on the pressure within our hearts at the time of the activity, we could more easily know what's too much straining. Absent that, it's obviously better, safer, wiser to err on the side of caution and just keep thinking "not too much straining". To me, that meant lifting weights but not with the goal of being able to lift more than the other guys in the gym or building large pecs. You can still do some of that, but use weights that allow you to do 12 - 20 reps with awesome form. You'll achieve excellent muscle development safely. With cardio exercise, I went hard until I started to experience A-fib and, at that point, I had had moderate to severe regurgitation for a few years.

Just want to share my story with you. I started exercising, lifting heavy weight, runnng 5K's and biking, when I turned 40 in 1997 when my youngest son was born. I wanted to stay in shape when he was older so I could "keep up" with him. Not only that, seeing family members die from heart disease and cancer, I wanted to be in shape for when the day came I may be in the fight of my life. When I was diagnosed with BAV, out of the blue with a random doctor check-up, I had no symptoms, and was mild to moderate stenosis. Within a couple years I started to have some minor palpatations and tiredness and they wanted to replace my valve sooner than later to avoid any heart damage. Your prognosis down the road is way better if you have no other problems with your heart going into AVR, of course there are never any guarantees. Now, 9 months post surgery, I realize I can breath better running and overall feel better. I concentrate more on aerobic activity but still bench more than what I weight. I am definitely back to my old fitness levels.

Hopefully you live your life without ever needing valve replacement, but if you do, it won't stop you! Stay in shape!

I know I am very late, but wanted to thank you all for your replies. I am still doing good with my defective (bi-cuspid) heart valve. I guess it is actually effective because it works pretty good and has allowed me to do some pretty cool things. I have taken it easy the past year and have actually gotten confidence back to keep training the way I like, and not letting myself feel like a cripple. I was letting it get to me and turned in a disappointing performance at the biggest race I compete in each year. I felt good, but was way to conservative training and running the race. I am trying to be smart with the way I train, which is a good idea for any athlete. I am looking forward to this coming year and expect to hit some PRs and other goals I set for myself.

I got checked by my regular doctor and he said he can barely detect my murmur, which he said is a good sign. I have another check up with my cardiologist but need to wait until September for that. I'll try to post my stats then. I appreciate this community and the support!

Hey Aaron, it sounds like if you're "mild" at 37 you have a good chance at being in the waiting room a very long time. Of course, no one can predict the future, but I've been at least "moderate" as long as a doctor has been able to classify it. I was diagnosed at 4 years old, but was probably in my early teens before they put a label on it. When I went for surgery a couple of weeks ago, it was the most severe level of regurgitation (5+) but I was still mostly asymptomatic. I only felt like I couldn't get enough sleep. I know I'm pretty lucky in that regard.

As long as your doctor says it's okay to exercise, keep at it! It should help with your recovery later on if you eventually need surgery.

I agree with you JeffM, you just have to be sensible and use common sense when it comes to exercise. Exerting yourself too hard even if you have a perfectly healthy heart can be risky, but we who have structural valve disease bear a much bigger risk. I love exercising, particularly weight training. I have always been into bodybuilding type training and use to train at a very high intensity with weights....now I have toned it down since I found out I have BAV with a dilated left ventricle. I am probably going to have surgery soon as my LV is up to 68mm however my cardio thinks my heart is in good shape for some reason just because I have a EF of 71%. I have had palpitations and syncope once. I find it very hard to train 'easier' as I have a train hard mindset that was instilled years ago.

Aaron if your mild at 37, its quite likely you may never need surgery if your valve doesnt progress to moderate or severe. Im close to your age at 35, and mine is 'moderate' and has been the last 4 years. The best advice I can give you apart from the above is just to not push it too hard no matter what you do, its not worth it unless your a professional athlete and making a living from sports. There is nothing wrong with being in shape and fit, but I personally dont see any benefit in pushing yourself to the limit, theres little gain to be made for the likely risk you can put your heart at.

Hi, I'm totally new here too, also with BAV and a dilated aorta recently measured at 49mm. Going in for an MRI in less than a month. I'm 45 and in good shape; I cycle, snowboard, skateboard, run etc. One thing that's bothering me is that no one informed me about the risk of impact. All my life I've been a thrill seeker, an adrenaline junkie-I've never gone too fast. Last year I hit 110 kph on my snowboard. Had I known that there is a severe risk if I were to bail, I probably would have taken it a bit easy. Aside from the fear of surgery what really bums me out is changing my activities-I'm used to bombing down hills on my skateboard or downhill mountain biking (full face helmet, pads, full suspension DH bikes etc); it is really taking some getting used to. My wife will agree that I get squirrely and cranky if I don't get my adrenaline fix.

Does anyone know if the risk is decreased after surgery? Will I be able to act like a foolish teenager still?

Welcome Brad. After surgery (and recovery) your risks will be much lower than they are now, given that you have a 49mm aneurysm. Following surgery most people can return to an active lifestyle, but then most people are probably not as active as you. What surgery you are having is also a consideration. Fixing the aneurysm is a given but if your valve is also replaced with a mechanical valve then you will be on blood thinners. Many people on this site live very active lives while on blood thinners, but I expect there is some increased risk participating in sports with the potential for impact because of the risk of bleeding. If your valve is spared or you get a tissue valve, then I think many Doctors would say you are fixed, do what you want, while some may say to scale back your activity level due to the risk of a repeat aneurysm (I was told this). I started a thread to discuss exercising after aneurysm repair: http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?41721-Exercise-Post-Aneurysm-Repair&highlight=

FWIW, Jeff Green returned to a high level of play in the NBA following surgery to repair an aneurysm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Green_(basketball)

Latest posts

Back