Heprin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jade45

What does it mean when they say you tested positive for
heprin?
Just wondering.

I am a pharmacist who manages people on warfarin. You can look at my website www.warfarinfo.com
This sounds like a misunderstanding to me. Heparin or Low molecular weight heparin (Lovenox, Fragmin etc.) is the injection they give you to prevent/treat clotting. There are tests to determine whether you have had the proper dose. But I do not think that there is any test needed to detect the presence of heparin since it is not given unless a doctor ordered it. It is not like an abuse drug or alcohol where they might be trying to find out if you used it. Perhaps if you could give some more information about who said it an what they were talking about I could help, but there is not enough information here to help.

Me! Test positive?

Me! Test positive?

I know it might sound strange, but those words stuck with me, it was during a stay at the hospital, they had as we all know
draw all that blood,when the nurses where hooking up the IV's .I
did clearly hear one say "her test for heprin was positive", now I have ask my gp but daa" he didn't know either.I ahve never had it to my knowledge only asprin , is there a test that can tell if you can't take heprin?
very puzzled on this one.

You probably had heparin - almost everyone who has had valve surgery had it. It is the stuff that keeps you from clotting before the warfarin kicks in. The test they do tells what you clotting time is (similar to an INR) but the test results are given in seconds not positive or negative. Maybe the person talking used the wrong terminology. Anyhow it evidently means nothing. I'd forget it.

Is it possible they were talking about another patient? Once when Joe was so sick and in having some xray work, I was waiting for him and overheard the radiologist talking to a cardiology PA about a dissection of the aorta showing up.

I almost passed out. As it turned out, it was another patient. That was a scare.

Latest posts

Back