Help which valve should I choose?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shana23

Yes that is THE question.At the moment I'm tending more towards a tissue valve instead of mechanical even though that means I'll have to be reoperated on in 10/15 years.All the problems and test with caumadin have really put me off.Can anybody give me a balanced opinion??I go in for surgeory on the 12th of March so time is closing in.Thanks shana

Shana, no matter what you choose, it will be a good choice. Bare in mind that things may get changed at the last moment when your on the table. Sometimes what you want or the surgeon wants to use, just won't be biologically compatible and therefor, you should have a backup plan in mind. Be sure to discuss this with the surgeon when you see him.

My personal fit for you would be mechanical. You really don't want to have surgery again and again. The coumadin is not a big issue at all. It just sounds complicated and hard to deal with, when in reality, it's like taking any other pill or vitamin. Even with a mechanical valve there is no guarantee that you won't have to have another surgery but the chances are much lower then tissue which virtually guarantees that you will.

It's a personal choice that only you and your surgeon can make. Like I said, no matter what you choose, it will be a good choice.

Hi Shana-

Use the search engine on this site to look for the thread "Making the choice" by Peter Easton. It discusses in great depth, all the different valve choices.

By the way, my husband has been on Coumadin for 25 years. It's really not a problem for him. I think you should be thinking more about whether you want to have another heart valve surgery in 10 years more or less.

Shana,

I am new to this site, but have just undergone my third Open-heart surgery. I had a mechanical valve put in 11 years ago. which I was told it was suppose to last me a very long time. Which being only 14 I hope so. Unfortunately it did not, it started leaking. So now at the age of 25 I just underwent my third open heart surgery. I had homograft valve put in and I had to have my aortic root repaired. I was not an easy operation. But I was told a homograft was my best option if I wanted to have children. I was on coumadin for eleven years and being so young. I never once had problem with it. Someimes its jusa pain of getting our blood taken every month. I just wished I would have had a
better result. If you have any more questions feel free to email me. Thanks Lynette

hi shana!
nancy's suggestion was a good one. check out peter easton's thread on "making the choice". it was posted around the summer of 2001.
also, if you go to search and type in "making the choice" or "valve choice", it will direct you to several posts related to that subject.
what valve(s) are you leaning toward?
ask us any questions you have about them.
also, there truly is no wrong valve. in the end this is a lifesaving surgery and feeling so much better after it is such a tremendous reward in itself.
wishing you all the best, sylvia

I have had porcine for 11 years and then mechanical.
It was ultimately the surgeons choice for the porcine and I was glad of it, not having to deal with blood issues and coumadin for 11 yrs was fine with me. It was real hard to hear that I needed it replaced, however. I didn't think it would affect me like it did and I was very upset when I was told the porcine was failing.
Gail

Hi Shana!

Hi Shana!

I had my mitral valve repaired last May. Hopefully, you'll be able to have your own valve repaired too, and won't have to worry about this decision.

My surgeon had told me prior to surgery that he was 99% sure he could REPAIR my valve and that if he couldn't, the only real choice was a mechanical because of my age, (43 at the time).

I'm not sure if you have the same problem I had, (MVP with severe regurgitation), but from what I've read the mitral valve seems to be the easiest one to repair.

Good luck on your surgery, I'll keep you in my prayers, and let me know if you have any questions about the experience your about to go through.

Happy With the Porcine

Happy With the Porcine

I have had a porcine valve (mitral valve) since November 21, 1991. I had the procedure when I was 33 years old, and have enjoyed the last 12 years of my life immensely. I am still medication free, and thus no blood tests. I have been told that the valve is starting to leak a little bit and sometime in the next year I will have to be operated on again. I will again chose a biological valve, although this time I think it will be a bovine.

Remember, either choice biological or mechanical have positives and negatives - but either is a good choice.

Latest posts

Back