Help! Endocarditis with perivalvular abcess

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

queenie

I had OHS in 2002 for a stenotic bicuspid valve. A mechanical was placed which proceeded to grow scar tissue all around it and had to be replaced with tissue valve in 2008. I have now been diagnosed with endocarditis and perivalvular abcess beside that valve. I have been sick for five weeks and am on iv vancomycin as we speak. Have any of you had this diagnosis? I am really looking for some encouragement. The doctors demeanor completely changed when they found the abcess. The lesions are small and we have caught it early to state the positive side of things.

Sorry to hear you have BE, but glad you went to the doctor and they found it. Are you in the hospital or now home on the IV? Justin had BE when he was 11 and ws on IV vanco and gentomycin. He was very lucky tht he didn' have any perm damage to his heart and didn't need surgery, bt there have been a few members here who had surgery to replace valves etc caused by BE and after the recovery are doing fine.
Ill keep you in my prayers, That the vanco clears up the infection and the docotrs know the very best way to help.

Sorry to hear about the BE, but glad they have found it early. I had BE on my native aortic valve. I was on IV antibiotics in the hospital for 2 weeks and for 8 weeks at home following the valve replacement. I'm doing fine now, just got back from a weekend camping trip. I know it seems like a long time now but I got through it and so can you. Think of it as a a bumpy section on the road of life. The best advice I can give you is to find something to occupy your mind while the antibiotics and doctors work. I watched alot of movies.
Hope you are feeling better very soon

Sorry to hear you have BE, but glad you went to the doctor and they found it. Are you in the hospital or now home on the IV? Justin had BE when he was 11 and ws on IV vanco and gentomycin. He was very lucky tht he didn' have any perm damage to his heart and didn't need surgery, bt there have been a few members here who had surgery to replace valves etc caused by BE and after the recovery are doing fine.
Ill keep you in my prayers, That the vanco clears up the infection and the docotrs know the very best way to help.

Lyn, I am at home on the IV. Thanks for the encouragement.

Back