Hello, I'm new and I'm scared!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to VR. Sorry for the circumatance but glad you decided to join us. I don't have anything to add to what's aleady been said, but just wanted to welcome you. Best wishes and good luck.

My appointment on Wed is with Alexander Vasilakis, Cardio Thoracic Surgical Associates Inc. Erica, my wife said if we had to go see some of the others, she would quit her job and go work somewhere else to get better ins LOL.

You guys have given me an idea tho! I have been on social security disability because of severe osteo arthritis in my ankles knees and hips as well as a very arthritic and bad back, (hence the weight issues and the need for the WLS). I was eligible for medicare, but turned it down because I was covered by my wife, maybe I could check into getting it back, but that may take too long :(

You should consult a lawyer specializing in soc sec law. You cannot be turned down for Medicare/Medicaid if your disabled. There would be a coordination of benefits if your covered under your wife's policy, but that in and of itself, is not a basis for denial to Medicare. The only reason would be that you haven't met your 2 year waiting period.

Contact this place is you need help. It's free!
http://www.medicarerights.org/

If you are under 65 and have a disability, and have employer insurance when you become eligible for Medicare, whether you should sign up for Part B depends on whether your employer coverage is primary or secondary to Medicare.

Medicare is your primary insurer if:

you have retiree coverage from your or your spouse’s former employer;
or

you have coverage from your or your spouse’s current employer that has fewer than 100 employees.

Medicare is your secondary insurer if:

you have insurance from your or your spouse’s (or your domestic partner’s) current employer, and the employer has 100 or more employees;
or

you have long-term disability coverage from your former employer that allows you to continue to participate in their benefit plan for current employees, and your employer has 100 or more employees.
If Medicare is your primary insurer, you should take Part B. You have the option to decline Part B, but if you decline it, neither Medicare nor your job coverage will pay for your doctors’ services and other medical care (with limited exceptions). Keep in mind that if you delay enrollment in Part B, you can only sign up for Part B during certain times of the year and you may have to pay a premium penalty.

Good idea John, and great info Ross!
See John, stick around here and we will all make sure you get the best care possible! There are lots of kind folks with lots of good info & ideas. I hope this will work out for you so you can get to Cleveland Clinic, or UPMC at least.
Good Luck!

Thanks Ross and Andrew's mom, I have been on disability for about 6 yrs now, and was offered medicare in the beginning, but didn't understand all of it, and Erica had Awesome insurance, so we just declined it then.

I will call them first thing monday morning and find out what I have to do to get it back. Just the fact that I may not have to go the miracle center, and may be able to go to the cc has changed my mood immeasurably!!!

Glad to see your mood has been elevated and that you have options to pursue John!

Our Matriarch, Nancy, has a signature line that reads:

"Never Give In, and Never Give Up!"

Feel Free to use those guidelines (and us) whenever the need strikes.

Best Wishes!

'AL Capshaw'

Welcome John,
I was 5.6 last May and they had me on a table by mid July. I found a great deal of solace right here on this site. As you already see the folks here are a very knowledgeable and caring group.

One thing I will never forget is when I had been informed that it was time. The shock does wear off though and when it does you get onto the business of following your doctors recommendations/restriction for preparation.

I pretty much followed Ross's post on how to prepare my home for my return. By doing so I came home to a ready environment and I know it aided in my recovery.

By the sounds of things you are going to be on the fast track. I know it's hard to comprehend at this time although I found that my perception of the surgery and recovery were much worse then the actual event.

I join in wishing you well. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Rob

Want to say huge hello and welcome and very good replys
given by all,soooo just glad your here now.

Zipper2 (DEB)

Hi John,
Just want to add my welcome to you. I didn't find this site until after my surgery when I was feeling like the only person in the world to have had valve surgery. I am a nurse also and had taken care of people with OHS but never thought it would be me. I was always told that my mitral valve would never need to be repaired or replaced. Had a routine ECHO and that all changed very fast. Within a month I was in surgery.That was 3 1/2 yrs ago.

I have to agree with what has been said. If you get to the right doctors you will be having surgery sooner not later. It is not the valve but the size of the aneurysm that requires immediate attention. Take is easy and make sure your blood pressure stays on the low side. Living with an ICU nurse makes you well ahead of most of us. Please stay involved here and ask for help whenever you need it-even in the middle of the night.
Take care
Joanne

Welcome to the forum, very best wishes and really hope that you can get the hospital that you want. Tc

Welcome John. Many good things and recommendations said here, and one thing you need to remember, the most important thing is your health, not finances. I realize that is important but NOTHING is more important then your heath, you want to be around for your kids and wife, and you should go to the best surgeon around, do not let finances dictate that to you. There are always ways around that, but you need to get the surgery right with the best hospital and best surgeon you can find. This is nothing to fool around with.
God Bless,

I would pick the surgeon that will do the best job. If the surgeon's in network don't have a lot of experience with valves and aortic aneurysms, find one that does and go from there. Sometimes doctors and hospitals will work with you and/or your insurance in these circumstances to get you taken care of so that you don't pay any more than your in-network costs. It is in the insurance company's best interest to make sure that you are treated successfully and don't incur any additional costs.

I would imagine that Cleveland deals with out-of-network issues all the time.

Latest posts

Back