Hello First time post - BAV

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18271

Thankful to have discovered this group through a Reddit post—very happy to be here. I have a bicuspid aortic valve with moderate/severe stenosis, mild regurgitation, and an aortic aneurysm of about 4 cm (waiting to review recent testing with my cardiologist). I underwent a full round of testing last week, including a CT Scan, Echo, and Pulmonary Test. I learned about my bicuspid valve in my forties and have always had a murmur. Just turned 60, and it's now my turn for surgery within a year my cardiologist said.

For years, I had this thought that somehow my turn might not come, that my valve wouldn't ever progress to severe—after all, I've read about it, right? Whatever my cardiologist recommends as the next steps, I'm committed to trying to stay calm through this, I hope I can achieve that.

Selecting the valve type and surgeon are my next significant decisions, I presume. I'm hopeful that my cardiologist can offer recommendations for surgeons, and that's where I'll start. As of now, it seems likely I will undergo open-heart surgery and probably opt for a mechanical valve based on what I know so far, or better yet I'll listen to my cardiologist and surgeon when I find an excellent one. Thanks all I look forward to following and learning!

Hi and welcome aboard

I learned about my bicuspid valve in my forties and have always had a murmur. Just turned 60, and it's now my turn for surgery within a year my cardiologist said.

it can be the way that some make it through all the way, but if you don't then surgery is a well practiced art now.

I'm committed to trying to stay calm through this, I hope I can achieve that.

excellent choice and will make a better platform from which to inform yourself. Take your time and be prepared to swing one way then another again later as you grasp points.

Selecting the valve type and surgeon are my next significant decisions

pretty much. Its fairly simple, if you haven't seen this presentation by a Mayo clinic surgeon I suggest taking a cup of tea and a pad and pencil and make notes.

watch it more than once, preferably on a different day when you feel different about X or Y

As of now, it seems likely I will undergo open-heart surgery and probably opt for a mechanical valve based on what I know so far, or better yet I'll listen to my cardiologist and surgeon when I find an excellent one.

There is no such thing as a perfect valve and equally there is no such thing as a perfect human, cardiologists and surgeons are human and have biases and unspoken preferences. If this was not the case then there would never be a case for seeking a second opinion. The points you need to keep in mind are these:
  • you are the one being tasked with making a choice
  • to make your choice you need to balance your actual life needs and desired outcomes
  • to make that choice you need information, both short term and long term
  • you need reliable information not a peek through a keyhole to later say "well, if I'd known that before I'd have acted differently"
The best thing we can do for you is question your assumptions, and prompt you to make a list. To work through points which may seem crucial now, but are actually not. Then you can go to the Cardio and ask better questions and get more value out of the consultation.

Best wishes

As of now, it seems likely I will undergo open-heart surgery and probably opt for a mechanical valve based on what I know so far, or better yet I'll listen to my cardiologist and surgeon when I find an excellent one. Thanks all I look forward to following and learning!
Welcome to the forum. You have been on the forum for a few months so I assume that you know that OHS is not a death sentence and that your life will probably continue without much interruption. You are in the so-called age group(60-70) for either mechanical or tissue. If you are in good health and active a mechanical valve will probably last for your lifetime without a future heart intervention. I am a big fan of staying out of hospitals;).

Keep searching for good information and listen to your doctors' input.....you can't make a bad decision at your age.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome aboard

it can be the way that some make it through all the way, but if you don't then surgery is a well practiced art now.

excellent choice and will make a better platform from which to inform yourself. Take your time and be prepared to swing one way then another again later as you grasp points.

pretty much. Its fairly simple, if you haven't seen this presentation by a Mayo clinic surgeon I suggest taking a cup of tea and a pad and pencil and make notes.

watch it more than once, preferably on a different day when you feel different about X or Y

There is no such thing as a perfect valve and equally there is no such thing as a perfect human, cardiologists and surgeons are human and have biases and unspoken preferences. If this was not the case then there would never be a case for seeking a second opinion. The points you need to keep in mind are these:
  • to make your choice you need to balance your actual life needs and desired outcomes
  • you need reliable information not a peek through a keyhole to later say "well, if I'd known that before I'd have acted differently"
The best thing we can do for you is question your assumptions, and prompt you to make a list. To work through points which may seem crucial now, but are actually not. Then you can go to the Cardio and ask better questions and get more value out of the consultation.

Best wishes

Thank you, Indeed I only know what I know right now, I understand much more to come. Appreciate it.

Glad you found your way here!

In a way it can be a relief to have the waiting and worrying over with. Instead of hoping that the other shoe doesn't drop, you can deal with the event and move on.
Thank you very much.

Glad you found your way here!

In a way it can be a relief to have the waiting and worrying over with. Instead of hoping that the other shoe doesn't drop, you can deal with the event and move on.
Hi and welcome aboard

Best wishes

Thank you very much,

Hi and welcome aboard

Best wishes

Watched the video, and will watch again, thank you.

Welcome to the forum Maso!

You are starting out on the right foot with a good attitude. Also, it sounds like you are doing your best to inform yourself, so as to make informed decisions. And, as has been mentioned, information that you glean from those who have been through this process will help equip you to ask better questions when you have your cardio and surgical consultations.

We're here for you, to give our input to any questions that you might have.

Welcome to the forum Maso!

You are starting out on the right foot with a good attitude. Also, it sounds like you are doing your best to inform yourself, so as to make informed decisions. And, as has been mentioned, information that you glean from those who have been through this process will help equip you to ask better questions when you have your cardio and surgical consultations.

We're here for you, to give our input to any questions that you might have.
Thank you so much, it helps a lot.

Latest posts

Back