Hello. First Posting PVR Candidate!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sctb78

Hi, first post here. I have already found a good deal of information so thanks to everyone who has spent the time to post!

I had a valvotomy to correct pulmonary stenosis in 1981 aged 3 and my regular check ups have gave no cause for concern until now. Yep, time for a PVR! :eek2:
My heart is getting larger due to working overtime to compensate for a pulmonary valve that is as good as not being there. Cardiologist says that a valve replacement is required soon or the heart will not return to normal size after surgery. At least that's what i think he said.. I also require the tricuspid valve repaired or replaced as it has also started to show signs of regurgitation. When i get surgery is entirely up to me, i'm thinking in 6-8 months as i have other things on which i'd like to do before going under the knife.

I guess I always thought i would just keep going along fine at each clinic visit and not have to deal with this. I feel fine just now and have no symptoms, which makes things even harder to get my head around :confused2:

If anyone has any similar experiences to this it would be great to hear from you. I know that i need to do do this and trying to stay positive. I have an 8 month old daughter and if i decide not to have the surgery it would not be fair on her or my family!

Scott

I know how you feel, because I didn't have any real bad symptoms going into surgery. I wondered if I really needed it at all. But I had a my cardiologist say I needed one, another cardiologist who did the cath say I needed it and the surgeon said I needed it. You have to rely on the doctors who see this all the time. It is better to do it before you cause any damage to your heart musscle. I too have kids and I did it for them so I would be around longer. I hope everything goes ok for you.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! Means a lot to talk to people who have been there. This will be my second surgery, but only my first time remembering it. I was hoping that the procedure could be done by minimally invasive methods but my cardiologist does not seem to think that is an option. I have an appointment with the surgeon in a few weeks where i can discuss things and make the decision on when to proceed. As you say this is a big deal for us all although the medical team just see this as routine, day to day type of stuff.

Hi

I had a valvotomy to correct pulmonary stenosis in 1981 aged 3 and my regular check ups have gave no cause for concern until now....
I guess I always thought i would just keep going along fine at each clinic visit and not have to deal with this. I feel fine just now and have no symptoms, which makes things even harder to get my head around :confused2:

If anyone has any similar experiences to this it would be great to hear from you.

well I'd say it was quite similar but with me being older it was slightly different back then. I was diagnosed later (5yo) and operated on later (9yo) and OHS was ground breaking stuff then in Australia (my first OHS was about 1974)

Like you I had a valvotomy. Mine lasted till 28 when I had a homograft put in. That lasted till a couple of years ago when I had mechanical fitted (which was for my 3rd operation)

When I had my homograft put in the doctors advised me on a homograft as warfarin therapy was far less well understood back then (well you know, we've collected 22 more years of experience as well as developed Point Of Care machines). These days with what I read and what I know (having been through the mill) I would choose a mechanical if I could transport my 28 year old self through time to now.

Having said that I developed an aortic aneurysm which was detected late in 2010 ... why late? Well because as everything was going along tikkety-boo I'd gone slack on the checkups by about 10 years after my homograft.

I went back because I could feel my valve was starting to leak (and it was) only to be surprised to be (more or less) rushed into get a re-valve due to the aneurysm they found.

Whatever you choose to get (tissue or mechanical) has pros and cons and only you can make the choice on which cluster of benefit vs side-effect you are willing to accept.

My advice is to not worry overly, getting it done earlier than later has its benefits (although if you are 'asymptomatic' then clearly its later). Ask around here for the benefits of each valve type and understand the issues. From there the decision will present itself to you from your own perspective.

Feel free to ask me (at least) any questions you want.

Best Wishes

Hi Pellicle

Thanks for your reply!
I'm not sure if I have a choice of valve type. When i spoke to the cardiologist this week he only mentioned a biological valve (in the UK on NHS) . I'll have a chance to talk through things in more depth with the surgeon soon though.
It's a lot to take in at the moment and I'm feeling a bit lost. Hopefully over the coming weeks I can get things straight in my head. I am trying not to worry too much but it is hard as I'm sure everyone here knows.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Hi
It's a lot to take in at the moment and I'm feeling a bit lost. Hopefully over the coming weeks I can get things straight in my head.

take your time, and don't feel rushed. Big changes take a few phases of understanding before you grasp them

I am trying not to worry too much but it is hard as I'm sure everyone here knows.

don't be afraid to ask what you think are 'silly questions' because the only silly question is the one you didn't ask.

:)

Hello. I was born with tetralogy fallot that includes pulmonary valve stenosis. I have had 2 PVRs. My last one was 4 years ago. It went very well. For the most part they tend to put in a tissue valve for the pulmonary valve. My first valve lasted 19 years. The docs think that there is a very high probability that for my next valve it will be able to be done in the cath lab.

Debbie

Hey,

It's great to know that there are other people out there who have been through similar situations. Where would we be without the internet!? :)

Thanks for the info Debbie, I hope when I have the surgery it goes as well as yours!

Scott

Scott;
I am not a Dr. but it seems to me that; the fact that your heart is enlarged means you are symptomatic. My biggest fear is that due to mild or no symptoms my AVR could be delayed beyond the point where my heart suffers permanent damage that can't be reversed post-op. I feel for you having a baby at home, that must make it a very hard choice. But there are advantages to having the surgery sooner rather than later.
Good luck with your decision making and Be Well. Bonny

Hello. First Posting PVR Candidate!

Bonny, if you are closely monitored, your cardiologist will not delay the surgery beyond the point where your heart will not properly recover after it. Trust him. Timing is his expertise. Having surgey too late is bad, but it is also bad to have it before recommended. Dont forget that OHS is a very MAJOR surgery, that usually goes very well, but serious complications can hapen. Let suppose you are a cardiologist, and you decide a very agressive approach with an asymptomatic patient, sending him to an early surgery, and he ends up, for instance, with acute renal failure? And i am not implying that asymptomatic patients should not have surgery, of course. There are cases where they absolutely need it, even if completely symptomless. My point is that the reasoning that goes like "if i will need surgery in the near future, why not have it done right now and forget about this annoying issue" may sound attractive to some ears but is, in my opinion, wrong. Dont let your anxiety bring you to surgery before really needed.

Once again, find a good cardiologist, and TRUST him about surgery timing. And, if surgery is finally indicated, or you have serious doubts about how your cardiologist is managing your case, a second qualified (and independant) opinion is a MUST.

Just my 2 cents...

I can understand your hesitation, but as everyone else suggests, find good doctors you can trust. My only symptom is some fatigue, but the cardiologist and two surgeons all agree it's time to fix or replace my valve. The AHA guidelines have clear guidelines on when surgery is warranted in an asymptomatic patient. In a way, we're the lucky ones who don't have to suffer much although having OHS when you feel fine is more scary. In the end, the idea of doing permanent damage to my heart is more scary, so I'll trust the experts.

All, thanks for your responses.
Just to clarify. My case has been closely monitored over years by a team of cardiologists and the decision to proceed with surgery was taken by them along with the surgeon. I trust them implicitly and they has advised that I require surgery but when it happens is entirely up to me, as long as we do not leave it longer than 18 months. I fully intend to proceed before the end of the year, probably sooner.

Hi Scott,
I am about where you are now. Been waiting six years and seven weeks ago was told it's time. Four doctors have confirmed this. One said my heart was working hard. I feel like you, that there are some things I want to get done before fixing this. No symptoms, except maybe fatigue. I feel fine. My heart is little changed, but there is lots of regurgitation now. Most of the pre-op testing has been done. Right after the cath was over, the cardiologist asked if I preferred surgery earlier or a bit later. I had been thinking in terms of months. He meant weeks. I looked at the other people in the room, thought for about two seconds, and said do it now! I live on a farm and a lot of what I do is physical. I figure if it's done soon I'll be back a lot quicker. If I wait everything could get a lot harder. Also, the sooner it's done the less time there is to stress about it.

This is just how things look from my perspective. Hope it helps. And I heard back from the surgeon yesterday. Will do it on May 12th. Only 9 days away!

Hi Blair,
Great to hear from you. Your experience sounds pretty similar to mine. My pulmonary valve may as well not be there there is so much regurgitation according to the data from echo and MRI. I'm seeing the surgeon soon and will discuss my options then. I am definitely getting this done within the next 6 months which the cardiologist agrees with so now just the waiting game!
I hope everything goes ok for you Blair. Keep us updated!

Scott

I don't mean to be alarmist, but my Cardiologist said that these leaking valves can be a time bomb and part of the reasoning for recommending surgery in assymptomatic patients is that it can be a sudden death issue. The heart valve has already failed, there might not BE any other symptoms until it just simply stops. There are a set of criteria used to determine when to operate and the first few having nothing to do with symptoms felt by the patient. Lengthening QRS wave, enlarging of heart, further failure of valves, unfelt arrythmias,...

Also keep in mind, that the better shape you are in when you have the surgery, the quicker you'll recover afterwards.
BE SURE TO BE SEEN BY SOMEONE WHO SPECIALIZES IN ACHD (Adults w Congenital Heart Defects) PATIENTS. Especially if this is not your first OHS procedure.

Another thing that came up in my work up. The surgeons here in the States are trending back to bioprosthetic valves that do not require anti-coagulation because there is a new valve that can be placed via heart cath when this one fails. It is called the Melody Valve here in the US. There've been a couple other threads about this and a similar valve in Europe. Look under the Advancements Forum. The valve can only replace a failing Bio valve, but can be done multiple times and in the much less invasive Cath Lab. NOTE: this is not the initial replacement valve for your original failed valve. But one that is used later down the line to replace the one you're talking about doing now when IT fails.

Best of luck in your decision and up coming surgery!
Linda

I'm sure you mean well but coming out with lines like sudden death are not helpful. I am being seen by the head cardiologist of the national ACHD here in Scotland. I have been closely monitored over a number of years and yes my scans and Fitness tests etc indicate it is time for a PVR. I have been advised to get it done in the next year, advice I fully intend to take.
I am aware of the cath lab route and discussed this with the cardiology team, I think the hospital where I will be treated (Golden Jubilee National Hospital) was one of the first to perform the procedure in the UK, if not Europe. Unfortunately as you say I will not be eligible for catheter implantation this time around.
Early August looks like my timescale, just awaiting confirmation of dates. Should I be worried? No, I don't think so. Apprehensive, yes but seeing this as an investment for the future to safeguard the function of me heart for hopefully the next 10-20 years.

I don't mean to be alarmist, but my Cardiologist said that these leaking valves can be a time bomb and part of the reasoning for recommending surgery in assymptomatic patients is that it can be a sudden death issue. The heart valve has already failed, there might not BE any other symptoms until it just simply stops. There are a set of criteria used to determine when to operate and the first few having nothing to do with symptoms felt by the patient. Lengthening QRS wave, enlarging of heart, further failure of valves, unfelt arrythmias,...

Also keep in mind, that the better shape you are in when you have the surgery, the quicker you'll recover afterwards.
BE SURE TO BE SEEN BY SOMEONE WHO SPECIALIZES IN ACHD (Adults w Congenital Heart Defects) PATIENTS. Especially if this is not your first OHS procedure.

Another thing that came up in my work up. The surgeons here in the States are trending back to bioprosthetic valves that do not require anti-coagulation because there is a new valve that can be placed via heart cath when this one fails. It is called the Melody Valve here in the US. There've been a couple other threads about this and a similar valve in Europe. Look under the Advancements Forum. The valve can only replace a failing Bio valve, but can be done multiple times and in the much less invasive Cath Lab. NOTE: this is not the initial replacement valve for your original failed valve. But one that is used later down the line to replace the one you're talking about doing now when IT fails.

Best of luck in your decision and up coming surgery!
Linda

Linda, even if it was not your intention, your post is indeed alarmist. I dont know what your cardiologist said, but a leaking valve is not a time bomb. I have seen many cardiologists, and none of them told me that. Can it cause problems? sure. That is why it must be closely monitored, and repaired/replaced when surgery is finally indicated. But sudden death from a valve insufficiency is, as far as i know, extremely uncommon. Not worth to even mention it here, where people with heart valve problems come to calm down and get positive feedback.

Everyone has leaking valves, it's a fact of life. The issue becomes one for intervention when that leaking becomes significant enough to cause other problems. When I said I didn't want to be alarmist, I meant to read my following statement in the context that it may not apply to all. But it still needed to be said that SEVERELY leaking valves ARE a serious issue that should be monitored and addressed. My cardiologist's statement probably should be put in further context, which may still be applicable to the original posting on this thread. Scary YES, but I'm sorry Scott, maybe still applicable.

Below is a more detailed rendering of my cardiologist's statement to me and more context.....
The ACHD medical community, in the last 5 years or so, has become aware that in THOSE PATIENTS WITH CONGENITAL HEART DEFECTS there is indeed a higher risk of sudden death when valves (specifically the PULMONARY AND TRICUSPID) that are SEVERELY leaking are not dealt with. It used to be thought to let the valves leak because the risk of another OHS surgery in this population was higher than the leaking valves. As more children are now surviving the severe congenital heart defects and coming into adulthood, the Drs are seeing more of them having catastrophic issues from the leaking valves and are now studying when IS IT BEST to replace these (again, specifically the RIGHT SIDE) valves. Sooner rather than later is becoming more and more prevalent.

It IS "worth mentioning" because this is a totally NEW way of looking at these leaking valves. I have been seeing cardiologists yearly since I was 2 months old, (now 51) and this was the first I'd heard of it too. The Drs always looked carefully at those right side valves but never said anything about replacing or repairing them. Midpack, I don't know what valve work you had or are waiting for. The MAJORITY of people on this site are dealing with Aortic and Mitral (Left side) valve issues which are totally different issues than Right side valve failures. My statements are first, IMHO (as most of our statements are because many of us are not medical professionals. Although, BTW I used to be a pediatric cardiology step down RN, I'm still speaking as a patient not an RN.) and second, specific to the ACHD PVR patient group that Scott and I belong to.

This thread is listed as being about someone needing a PULMONARY Valve repaired. I wanted to pass on the importance of this being dealt with by someone with expertise in ACHD issues. Not everyone is coming onto this site "to get calmed down and receive positive feedback." They are coming onto the site to seek reassurance, yes, but also information and confirmation. The information I received via my cardiologist could help folks on the site realize that seeking professional help from appropriately trained Drs is important and should be done in a timely manner. While statements about sudden death are scary that doesn't negate their validity.

SCOTT, you are doing the right thing by being followed closely by your cardiologist and looking at getting the valve replaced!!! I went through exactly the same thoughts you did both a year ago when the issue was first brought up and three months ago when my Dr. suddenly moved up the time frame for the repair. I have been essentially asymptomatic and viewing my heart issues as a "non-problem" for over 40 years, until almost exactly a year ago. At that time he simply mentioned a need to keep the idea of repair in mind for some nebulous time in the future. In the fall, I scheduled an appointment for follow-up because I was noticing increased problems with shortness of breath. That's when he dropped the sudden death bomb on me. He said new (as of last year) studies have come out showing that simply watching these valves, as has been done for many years, can have catastrophic consequences on ACHD patients. Also, the longer Drs wait, the less likely it is that heart function will return to normal. He then told me to get ready for repair by sometime in the spring. It was not an emergency but urgent. I will say that even up until the surgery date, I kept wondering... I'm not feeling bad now (pre surgery) and am in pretty good shape. Am I going to have this surgery and then feel worse than I do now (pre-surgery)???? I certainly do feel worse now, still recovering, but AM VERY GLAD I HEEDED HIS ADVICE and am confident that once recovered, I will have done the right thing for my heart. Because the Drs didn't know to do these repairs earlier, (my repair should've been done years ago) my current issues will probably not improve. BUT, they will not get any worse and I will have reduced the strain on the heart.

SCOTT, you have the advantage of finding this out much earlier than I did and hopefully before irreversible damage was done. It also sounds like you're in the right place! Please don't take my statement to mean you're going to keel over before you have a chance to have the operation! But to encourage you, that you are doing the right thing by addressing it now and not later! Best of luck to you!

Linda

Linda, i see your point. My assumption was that you were talking about heart valves in general, not specifically about the right ones in the context of ACHD.

Latest posts

Back