Heavy lifting post surgery......

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very glad i found this thread, great question. I was reading a bit about this as i was hoping to do some weight training when i heal up and get myself looking sexy for my wife, lol or at least avoid a gut. I read in a few places on the net that it should be no more then 100lbs for somebody who has had a valve replaced and if like me you have had any sort of graft to repair an aorta ( i had my ascending aorta done) that you are pretty much screwed when it comes to lifting for the rest of your life. I am very discouraged from what I have read First off, I am reading that if you have a graft and a valve done that your lifespan is shortened (I am hoping this is not true either) and secondly that because you have had both done that lifting weights , your children etc. may be a death sentence. Chime in if you have info, I could sure use some good news.

Bunch of rubbish. Let's start a new thread and post some links with this info of shortened lifespan and severe weight limitations. I can discredit some of them with NIH articles, and others with common sense. Of course, there must be common sense to everything. Check out cardiac-athletes website for a complete reverse proof ;)

On dumbell incline presses my limit is 100 lbs.... On each hand.

It may take me 6 months to get back to that, but that is my goal. In my past I let pain be my marker to stop. If it hurts- don't do it. It stands to reason that it's imperative to let your sternum heal properly without aggravation. I'm sure my surgeon will tell me how long that is, but if it's the rest of my life- I'll seek another opinion.

Btw my surgery is in the morning tomorrow. After my recovery and I'm lifting again, maybe I can back up my smack talking, but a 10 lb limit for life sounds real stupid

Weight lifting post AVR

Weight lifting post AVR

I was told by a cardiac surgeon post AVR at Stanford to restrict lifting to 25lbs each arm. After all, he said; "Who needs more then that?" I asked him if Arnold Swarzenneger followed that advice post AVR. He said, I wasn't Arnold. I responded that after 40 years of lifting weights, I was in that league. I returned to heavy lifting after much research on the subject after my personal physician told me I had absolutely no limitations. It has been 4 years and I am in the same physical shape as pre-surgery, except for intensity in running. I accepted that I did not want to return to running 6:30 miles, which would take months to years of training. I now hike and bike and still out perform most men at my age(58). What I learned is that most heart valve patients are not serious recreational athletes and although they try to impress upon doctors that they are, it is far from the truth. Doctors overcompensate for that assertion and the risk of a malpractice suit by erring to the side of caution. I live my life as I want to and am intelligent enough to recognize the changes in my health that may be significantly harmful before throwing caution to the wind. I have come to the conclusion, after 113 days in the hospital/rehab, that doctors know little to nothing about physical fitness and nutrition. They are great technicians in terms of surgical competency and I could care less about the fitness and training expertise or bedside manner as long as they do their magic when my chest is splayed open.
I'm still alive 4 years later and hope to defy the stats about life expectancy. Cheers, Dave

Dave,
I used Arnold name as well when talking to my surgeon. Heck, he actually brought it up to relate to me. Also, have you heard of Kris Dim, a bodybuilder with aortic rapture who survived to tell the tale and compete again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_wk7h1Gzo
I have not followed up on him much, but it was an inspiring story back in the day.

I'm bench pressing 95 lbs 4.5 months after AVR. Feels fine. Remember not to hold your breath while lifting and always breathe!

I used to bench 350+. Do you think it would be OK to build up to 225 or should I just do light stuff with 135? I miss lifting but I want to live more than getting my muscles/mass big again. Any info is appreciated. I'm 60 years young 3 years post op.

First of all; Hi Everybody!
Before my surgery my google searches on this topic lead me to this forum which although I have stayed a silent lurker until now, has been a huge help and comfort for me thus far. So, thank you my fellow lifters!

Prior to my surgery (PVR July 4, and secondary op to drain Pericardial and Pleural effusions a week later) I went to Crossfit (shields self from rotten fruit and other projectiles) 5-6 times per week and our gym's focus was on heavy weights and strength training. As a result, I had become quite strong for my size and really enjoy what I consider "lifting heavy" keeping in mind I am a petite female and weighed only 48kg. I miss it so much! I cannot wait until my sternum has completely healed and I can get back to it. I won't be mucking around doing anything before it is well time though so I think I'll have no choice but to love cardio for a while! My surgeon has told me that I can basically expect to eventually get back to where I was but I think it might take a couple of years - eek!

Mellyouttaphase;n866801 said:
My surgeon has told me that I can basically expect to eventually get back to where I was but I think it might take a couple of years - eek!
Hi Melly - I’m a skinny female (46kg) who had AVR 2 1/2 years ago. I do SuperSlow weight lifting (very slow reps with max weight that I can lift to failure within four reps) three times a week. I have been doing that for about nine years and got very strong - considering I’m also a bit of an oldie as well (now 63 - should call myself Paleowoman I think !). I probably got back to mostly the weights I was lifting prior to surgery by about one year, for example, 22kg (49 pounds) chest press, 9 1/2kg (21pounds) each arm biceps curl, and so on. I don’t go to a gym anymore, can’t afford it, so I’m lifting at home with dumbbells and have a weight lifting bench. Prior to surgery at the gym I was lifting 150kg (330 pounds) in the leg press machine - wish I had access to that again as I loved the challenge and you can’t do leg press at home, other than squats, not quite the same.

After surgery I had cardiac rehab with a cardiac nurse who was also an ironman competitor in his spare time. I injured my foot with one of the exercises he had me doing so he changed the rehab to weight lifting which was wonderful. Not heavy weights then but lighter weights with fast reps. I switched the exercise regime to SuperSlow and heavier at about six months post AVR and gradually increased the weights. Overall I am not quite as fit as I was prior to surgery, not so much stamina or exercise tolerance, but my individual weight lifting muscles, arms, shoulders chest and core muscles have got there :)

Wow! Great work Paleogirl! It's posts like this that boost me along and remind me that all really is not lost. I am actually hoping to eventually gain better exercise tolerance with my first working pulmonary valve (yeah!) but am a bit dubious as to how I will fare in my favourite Olympic lifts now that my sternum has been tampered with. I guess time will tell!

PS. I am only 31 years young so knowing that you are kicking ass in your sixties after AVR surgery puts a big smile on my face!

Latest posts

Back