Heartbeat while lying down on left side

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rareed

Anyone else feel their heartbeat while lying down on the left side? It just recently started for me and I wonder if that is an indication my aortic regurgitation or stenosis ( I have both) is getting worse?

Yes, I do. It's more pronounced while lying on my left side vs. right side. Not sure if its an indication or not. Once diagnosed, you sense everything more though. The best way to know if its getting worse is subsequent tests. I pushed my cardiologist for another echo at the 6 month mark (since diagnosis) even though he said it would very likely not be any different than the last test. I want to make sure its tracked closely. In the meantime, I also try and sleep on the other side.
T

I also felt my heart beat lots before my valve replacement, even more in the last 3 months while I waited for surgery, I was watching too close I think. I was always told by medical staff that my murmur was the loudest they ever heard, people only had to put their hand on my chest and could feel the blood turbulence real easy, it was a little un nerving, but I just kept on, keeping on, my echoes & TEE's showed moderate leakage at that point, even after a TIA 2.5 years ago, that really made me feel a bit nervous, so I stopped playing ice hockey at that point. So in my case, I don't believe that the valve leak and sensation I felt was a indication of it getting worse, or mine should have been changed 10 years prior to now.

Okay well at least I'm not the only one! I also get that sensation as if I have been running out in the cold weather for some time. I don't know how to describe it - almost a burning/heaviness of sorts in my chest.

I too heard my heart more in the months before surgery. Afterwards I was told my valve had significantly deteriorated from stenosis.

My heart beat changed dramatically from pre to post surgery. Of course post surgery there was a "tick" due to the mechanical valve, but pre-surgery the beat was "squishy" and afterwards it was much more distinct beat, with no squishy sound and thus more "normal"...except for the "tick." :)

I should probably go to KU and go see my cardiologist just in case. I'm due for my annual in November but maybe I can bump it up.

I felt it all the time. I even felt the congested feeling the pain the tightness and the shortness of breath but i feel most of it is anxiety just because we know about our condition, I started feeling it exactly after my doc said i would need surgery soon. :) Go visit you cardio but keep calm. :)

Funny that mine is a lot more noticeable when I first go to bed. If I lay on my left side, the beat is so strong, it's noticeable and sort of disturbing. So, I go to sleep on the right side, then switch to the left later in the night and I'm fine.

Thanks for everyone for the replies! Will probably schedule a cardio appointment soon as I've been having chest pains pretty much all day :/

rareed

I'm a little concerned about your comment that you've been "having chest pains pretty much all day". If you're also experiencing shortness of breath, maybe you should go the ER to get checked out.

Rareed. I have had all the same symptoms for like 2 months. I mean ever since i got to know about the fact that i needed surgery. It is may be that you trigger most of these symptoms yourself. But yeah its not worth taking a risk and waiting. Do go and visit ur cardio. :)

Yeah I just kept making excuses for the chest pain yesterday and said hey it'll be gone tomorrow and it's gone today! Despite the fact - I am still calling my cardio today to schedule an appointment. AmyR - I'm not due for surgery as far as I know. I've already had OHS once for a thoracic ascending aortic aneurysm (5 years ago, I was 19). At that point they said my valve looked fine but would need to replace it when I am like 50 or 60. I'm only 24 now!

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Considering you've had OHS for an aortic aneurysm, you should never ignore chest pain or make excuses for it. There are plenty of benign causes of chest pain (too much caffeine, stress, muscle spasms, adhesions from prior surgery, etc). However, given your history, you have reason to pay attention and get these things checked out. Happy to hear you're contacting the cardiologist.

More so than having hearing your heartbeat, chest pain is an indication that you are having problems. Are you getting dizzy or lightheaded too?

When they decided I needed my surgery within the next 6 months, my cardio impressed upon me to call when I had any symptoms and tell his nurse right away. He gave me his nurse's direct line so I didn't have to go through the switchboard.

I'd at least call if you are having chest pain.

I'm not really dizzy at all but I do get lightheaded about once a week. Also, I'm not sure if this is SOB or just me being out of shape but I walk about 3 blocks to work from where I park and I'm huffing and puffing by the time I get there (granted one block is slightly uphill). I am going to call today when I'm on my lunch at work!

Avoid getting panicy and visit the doc. 3 years back my AR was mild and docs said i would need surgery may be in my 50's. But here i am 24 and in for a surgery. :p Our heart is a playful organ. :p Never trust your heart. :p Hahaha... Just kidding but valves progress differently for different people but yeah you feel bad you get it checked is wat i suggest. :) But just for you info even after knowing about my condition i did not tone my lifestyle. Did bungee weight lifting basket ball everything possible. :)

Go us 24 year olds! :p Well I called my cardio and the earliest I could get was June 19th so I will be going then. I was due for my annual in November with a CT but I was glad I could at least bump up the appointment to 2 weeks from now. AmyR when are you getting your surgery?

I go in for surgery on the 12th of this month brotha. :) just a few days to go. :)

Still had chest pain today that seemed to be relieved with rest so I went to the ER - one EKG, CT, and x-ray later and said everything checked out fine.

Latest posts

Back