Heart Thumping

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomD

Well it's been about a year now and I was hoping the feeling of my heart thumping would be gone by now. But now it seems to be more noticable in the past 3 weeks. In general I can ignore it but in a quiet room it really bugs me and when I take a deep breath it really thumps.

Would appreciate any folks having similar experience. I have never received a good explanation from my sergeon or cardologist.

Maybe it's just a nowmal function of a mechnical valve?

Tom ?. I think everyone is different and I think it has to do with our individual body acoustics ?. I have always said that I don?t hear mine and as I type this I don?t ? but last night it was like someone was beating a drum in my chest ? I was extremely tired and restless ?. For the most part it is a non issue and I think you will get more use to it as time goes by ? at a year, it is still a pretty ?new? addition?..

When I breath in I've got a right ole thumper ! It clanks against the insde of my chest like a drum sometimes. But for me it's only been about seven weeks.
But only when I breath in ... Mind you when I went for a massage today it was thumpin' for a moment, but I think that had more to do with my creative imagination as she was going about her very proffessional work...

My thumps in certian positions but it is regular and steady. I dont know why it does this but it isnt anything that appears to impact me, such as breathing or pain, ect. Perhaps it is some component of cardiac awareness on my part and being tuned into it. It is a nuisance when it happens but I gotten used to it. I hope you do too. I hope you've already talked to you doc about it.

Thumping is the sound of living. Compared with the alternative, hearing this is a positive thing.

Having said this, I know exactly how you feel.....it gets to be annoying at tmes and especially in a quiet room with others.

Hang in there!

It's been over two years for me and I still hear the sound of a beating drum!!!:rolleyes: Sometimes it's louder then others but I'm just glad it's beating. It can be annoying at times but I just try to go on with my life staying heathy.
My dr said your weight can have something to do with it but don't know if they really know. It's different for everyone.:)

My mechanical valve definitely thumps a lot more noticebly when i breathe in. When I showed my surgeons nurse practitioner he but his hands on my chest and felt what I was talking about. He actually seemed surprised at how hard it was thumping. You think he would see this pretty often. i'm glad you made this thread because I thought it was just me being a hypochondriac.

Same here. When I take a deep breath in, the thumping is very loud and I can even feel it when I put my hand on my sternum. My doctor was surprised that it was so loud and said it's probably because I'm thin and don't have a lot of "insulation".

I'm a thumper too! Both my ticking and thumping can be heard by others. Sometimes I get a kick out of watching them look around for the cause and sometimes it drives me crazy but then I think of my hubby's reminder to think of it as a comforting sound - a reminder that there is life to be lived!

Latest posts

Back