heart rate monitor suggestions?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spartangator

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi,
I was just curious if there are any specific heart rate monitors that people have found useful when working out. I'm preparing for the end of cardiac therapy and would like to follow my heart rate in future workouts (if only for the mental peace if nothing else). Challenge is, there are an astounding number of HR monitors out there, and I can't seem to find any review sites that are especially helpful. I did a search and didn't find much in previous threads here, either.

If no brands/models really stand out, even suggestions for important features would be helpful. Thanks for any help offered here and for all the other great information available throughout the forums.

i have a polar fs3

http://www.polarusa.com/consumer/productfinder/productfinder.asp

its pretty basic but did the job for me....i bought pre surgery to get an idea of what my rate was then used post surgery to compare.

It has no memory other than last workout and doesnt have download option.

I basically turn it on...do my activity...turn it off...read high, average heart rate etc.

Due to my pesimistic outlook pre-surgery i was reluctant to purchase an expensive watch and now that i have it i cant bring myself to replace it with a more expensive option as it does everything i really need it to do.

There was another brand that was recommended on this site when i asked last time (cant remember name) but they didnt distribute in Australia.

As the base level polar is enough for me i'd assume all the higher models are sufficient also.

Regards.

I have a Polar F11 heartrate monitor. Although I am not an athlete, I do work out at the gym. Two things I like about this model are that: 1) each one is "coded" so that if there is someone next to you with a heartrate monitor, it will not interfere with yours; 2) the strap you put around your chest that has the electrodes is flexible so it is more comfortable.

Hrm

Hrm

Polar is the standrad for just heart rate monitor. If you think you may be need more, there are heart rate montiors with GPS systems that give you more data (pace, speed, etc.). Garmin would probably be tops in that group.
Good luck...every workout counts.

I have a Garmin 305 (hear they are coming out with a 405). It's a GPS device that keeps track of more things than just your HR. I really don't train by heart rate but use it to see how well I did on a particular run and during a race. Since I've been struggling a lot lately with my workouts, I decided to start using it more as a training guide. You can download data from the Garmin to your computer and it shows all kinds of fun stuff. I also have a polar S610i which I wear while swimming. The Garmin doesn't like to swim. The Polar is more basic.
Garmin website is www.garmin.com where they have all the information about it but the best prices are probably at Amazon.com or BestBuys

I also have the Polar F11. I liked it when I used it. But doc said it was pretty useless if you're on beta blockers. Anyone know if this is true?

Well, it is true that with beta blockers, you can't really use the usual formulas for how high your heart rate should go. However, I still like wearing it. For one thing, you can see if your heart is beating steadily and rhythmically!

I've got a Timex Ironman HRM with 100 lap memory. It has worked well for me. I like the fact that you can easily change the battery in the chest strap.

Mark

Heat Monitor

Heat Monitor

I looked at several brands (Polar, Garmin, Blackburn and Cateye) of heart monitors and settled for a Polar CS 200. This particular model is designed specifically for use on a bicycle. It's wireless.

Several of my teachers and coaches use the Timex Ironman heart monitors. Most do more running and weight training than cycling. They seem pleased with theirs.

The first monitor I purchased for use on my bicycle was a Blackburn. It was missing several key parts so I returned it without trying it out.

These things are pretty cool for heart zone training and conditioning. You can actually monitor the improvement in conditioning. Neat stuff.

-Philip

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone

Fantastic. Thank you all for the information. It's been helpful to hear what's worked.

As for the question about beta blockers, yes, it's true that your heart doesn't work in normal ranges so the typical thinking isn't especially useful. However, it is useful, of course, to know if the rate's getting too high and if it's consistent (like Adrienne said) :) .

Latest posts

Back