Heart Pillow & Op Very Soon!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel_j

Hi,
I am due to have my OHS in about 3 weeks and have heard about a 'heart pillow.' I live in the UK and can't find any - does anyone know where I can buy a heart pillow in the UK?Also - anything that's a must have or any tips?
Thank you!

Hi Boomanchu - thanks for your reply! As I'm in the UK and we have the NHS we don't get given a heart pillow... so don't know where to get one

They have to provide you with some method of "splinting" your chest when you cough or sneeze until your sternum mends so you don't ruin all that great work. I would think you would get either a pillow or a sternal harness at least while you're in hospital. I'm sure one of the UK members will have an answer for you shortly.

It's just a regular firm pillow that happens to be in the shape of a heart. I was a bit disappointed after my first OHS that I didn't get one either, but did for my second OHS which I ended up never having to use. Really any pillow will do.

It can be any smallish pillow: big enough to hold tight to your chest and cover the sternum, small enough that you can easily carry it everywhere for a while. It should be firm not mush, but soft enough to squeeze tight to your chest and it will conform a bit and not just press on one spot. My hospital gave out polyfil 10" x14" x3" pillows identical to what my boys took camping with scouts when they were younger. They wrapped it in a standard pillowcase & rolled the rest around it to use up the extra and changed the case a few times while I was there. Perhaps more frequent changing of the pillow case is a good idea. You don't want the post-op infection I had, and you are holding the pillow tight to your chest to roll over in bed, stand up out of bed or chair, cough, sneeze, hiccup, etc. You don't need to spend a lot. At times I just had a folded towel, or a wadded-up fleece hoodie folded into it's hood when I didn't want to be obvious & walk around a store with a pillow.
Best of luck, you'll do fine.

Mel_j;n855805 said:
Hi,
I am due to have my OHS in about 3 weeks and have heard about a 'heart pillow.' I live in the UK and can't find any - does anyone know where I can buy a heart pillow in the UK?Also - anything that's a must have or any tips?
Thank you!

I still have mine in the closet, it is in excellent shape, No signatures , no stains, I would gladly mail it to you. I live in Lakewood Wa. USA. I can only hope it will get to you in time. If you post me a private message of your address or if not concerned of privacy then post here. I will have in the mail the next day. I was just looking at it an hour ago and wondering what to do with it, then I see this post.
Brad

Hi all - thanks for all your helpful replies, I appreciate you taking the time to write to me :) Brad - I've sent you a private message

. . . and if you get caught needing your pillow when it is not around, you can even use a rolled up towel or light blanket. As the others said, any convenient clump of cloth or padding that helps you to hold pressure against your sternum while it is healing will help reduce the pain of coughs or sneezes during the first couple of weeks. If you have young children, maybe one of their larger stuffed animals will suffice.

Hi, I'm in the UK and 4 weeks out of my 2nd OHS..... After my first op in 2007 I was advised to just cuddle a pillow or rolled up towel when coughing, however they did not provide one. After my 2nd surgery last month the physio advised to just place the palm of my hand on the top of each other at the top of my wound when coughing. To be honest I found the palm advise okay but I'm not sure whether that is because I have previously had surgery and was not so nervous about the sternum.

Either way do remember to have a pillow / cushion for your journey home in the car as every bump hurts and it stops the seatbelt aggravating your chest. As a fellow UK member feel free to message me with any questions etc and I'll try and help. Good luck with the impending surgery.

Hi Mel,

I also found that having a 'Big V maternity and nursing pillow' has really helped in relation to getting comfortable and sleeping. It's a lot more flexible than your standard 'v' pillow. The one I have is made by Theraline. 4 weeks out and it's still my best friend whether sitting on sofa or in bed !!

Any 12-14" firm toss pillow would be fine. Use the pillow between your chest and the seat belt for your ride home from the hospital.
All best wishes.

You could have mine also, got it back in February. It's shaped like a ❤ and has " the University of Pennsylvania " on it. Its like new, I'll trade it for some fish and chips.

Last edited:
cldlhd;n856007 said:
You could have mine also, got it back in February. It's shaped like a ❤ and has " the University of Pennsylvania " on it. Its like new, I'll trade it for some fish and chips.

Aww, thank you - that's very kind! I've got Brad's one now and it would be greedy to have two - keep it for another English person! Thank you though!

Back