Heart Movie Recommendation: Something the Lord Made, 2004

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivetopless

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Just watched a historical movie about how they figured out how to do ToF repair in blue babies at John Hopkins, which started the cardiac surgery movement. It was facinating. I rented it from Netflix.

"This Emmy-winning HBO film based on a true story follows white surgeon Alfred Blalock and his black assistant, Vivien Thomas, who teamed in the 1940s to develp a procedure to save children suffering from a heart defect. But Thomas' status as a second-class citizen prevented him from getting recognition, as Blablock took all the credit. Their relationship, while close, was complicated by the social realities of the time. "

Thought I would share ---recommended if you like those kind of movies.

There also is another Movie PBS did that was also about the Blalock -Taussig shunt called "Partners of the heart" that I also enjoyed http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/partners/ has alot of interesting info and you can even "be the surgeon"

Justin was Blue and had the BT shunt when he was 10 days old, so he could survive long enough and get large enough to have his very Complex surgery when he was 18 months, so I am VERY thankful to everyone involved. I will never forget sending my little 5 pound blue baby into the OR and seeing how pink and healthy he looked coming out.

Latest posts

Back