Heart Hugger?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heart Hugger

Heart Hugger

Washington Hospital Center gave me a heart shaped pillow that I believe is foam filled. It measures about 15 inches by 15 inches by 5 inches thick. Great for use during the first couple of weeks after surgery when the chest is sore, for protecting the chest when coughing or sneezing.

dtread said:
Washington Hospital Center gave me a heart shaped pillow that I believe is foam filled. It measures about 15 inches by 15 inches by 5 inches thick. Great for use during the first couple of weeks after surgery when the chest is sore, for protecting the chest when coughing or sneezing.

For Justin's big Eagle Scout project, he got donations of materials and the boys made hug pillows for the childrens' hospital he went to for the kids after heart surgery, because when he had surgery at 10 it was hard to find a pillow small enough.They made over 75 fleece pillows and they liked them so well, we try to make some every year (6 years now). They just made rectangles one which was quite a feat in itself for 11-13 year old boys :)
IF your hospital doesn't give pillows, it's a good project if you belong to any types of groups that like to do things for the community.

I got both (Pillow and Heart Hugger)

I got both (Pillow and Heart Hugger)

I was given both a very nice heart shaped pillow and an actual heart hugger. The heart hugger has come in very handy during heavy coughing or sneezing. The pillow is great on car rides. Used separately or in combination, I had a great experience.

FYI, my surgeon happens to have his testimonial listed on the heart hugger site. :cool:

Having your sternum split in two is a serious fracture. As with other fractures the patient is more comfortable when splinted or in a cast. The problem with that on your sternum or ribs would be to simply inhibit breathing. The solution is to use a pillow or any sort of firm softness (don't ya just love oxy-morons?) to splint your broken bone until it heals enough not to need it.

The sneezing thing amazed me. After my first OHS I would feel one coming on and it would simply die before getting anywhere near the responsive level. Our histemic reactions are controlled by the autonomous nervous system, as is your heart. The chemicals your brain uses to stimulate those nerves would naturally be controlled inside the pituitary or other mysterious locales inside our cerebellum and not be released to the levels that would endanger our wounded heart.

Back