Heart Cath

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

Xtremlee

I had a Cath 18 years ago and they went in through the groin, I had to lay flat for 8 hours afterwards. This time the Dr said they would go through my neck for a right ad left Cath. Didn't even know there was a difference. Anyways has anyone here ever had this done in the neck? What should I expect? I don't like to google things lol.

CindyBain

VR.org Supporter
I am having a cath tomorrow at Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville. I was told they will likely go through the groin, and I have to lay still for 3-4 hours after. I will follow up on what happens with me afterward. Good luck with your procedure!

KLS39

VR.org Supporter
I had my first cath in 1978 and they went through my groin. Last year when I had a cath that is what I expected but they went through my wrist and my neck, doing both a left and right cath. I wasn't in recovery that long. I couldn't lift anything more than a coffee cup with that one hand for 48 hours.

dwhist

My first 11 years ago was through the groin. I was awake watching monitor and towards the end another fellow came in and showed the doc how to place a new closure item in groin to reduce bleeding.

Two years ago I had my second and they prepped me to go through the wrist. I remember talking to person in procedure room about his background who was prepping wrist. Was knocked out and when I woke up discovered they went through wrist and groin. Something about twisted arteries. Good news was arteries better than the first test.

Either way, was not a big deal.

70sdiver

I forgot they went thru my wrist I was awake the whole time. The wrist and arm are a little sore today.

Xtremlee

Sorry for the delay in response. I had a right and left Cath done. I was kinda expecting to be knocked out to a point but they didn't give me anything until I was in the OR. They wanted me awake for the one in the neck but I don't remember it. I woke up when they were going into my wrist and said what are y'all doing? It was kind of painful in my wrist and then they knocked me back out. I also had a TEE at the same time. When I woke up my teeth hurt so bad I couldn't even bite into a piece of bread. The teeth pain lasted for about a week. They are finally better. I had two previous TEE and that didn't happen. My arteries are clean but I do have a leak in the outside of the mechanical valve.

Latest posts