Hearing Pulse in My Head, Dry Cough

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy McCain

I have been diagnosed with PPS.
My Doctor says that the pulse in my head is probably caused by the pericardial effusion and should subside over time.

Anyone else out there experienced this symptom?

The dry cough caused by the pericardial effusion is driving me nuts and of course it makes everything hurt worse. Any special remedies or cough medicine that might stop this annoying cough?

Getting a little depressed over this whole scenario.
When you make a decision to do something that is supposed to improve your life and you feel worse than you ever have in your life it gets discouraging.

I didn't have the pulse in my head, but I did get the dry cough when I had ther pericardial tamponade. I was in the hospital at the time and they didn't give me anything specific to take for it. One morning I woke up and it was just gone...it went away as quick as it came.

Kathy,

I am sorry you are having these problems?..it will get better?.I had fluid around the heart post op, it cleared up with medication?..I had several bumps in the recovery road and at times got very discouraged?.But once the smoke cleared life has been great and I am sure it will be the same for you. As far as the cough goes ask you doctor for something stronger if OTC remedies are not working.

Tom

Hi Kathy,

I'm thinking of you and hoping the road of recovery gets less bumpy. I know Tom's bumps are still there but I think things are getting smoother (knock on wood). And it's so good to read that in post surgery there are issues but for the most part it seems like, over time, most people get better.

It's still depressing and worrisome to feel bad, just know that this will pass.

Judith

I hear my pulse differently with different situations. The moment I start to catch a cold, it sounds like it's ticking through water. If I breathe really deep, it thumps and doesn't tick at all. I've learned to get used to it instead of being afraid of it.

Hi Kathy,

I also has post pericardiotomy syndrome (PPS) and I definitely experienced this sensation of hearing my pulse in my head. It still do, but not as noticeable. I had my six-week post-op check up last Tuesday in Los Angeles and the pericardial effusion has subsided (thank God). The only residual symptoms I have is a partically collapsed left lung (hurts like hell, especially when I take a deep breath) and some pleural effusion. My doctor says both should subside on their own as I continue to increase my activity level and take lots of deep breaths. So...with that said, my advice to you is to continue the incentive spirometer as much as possible (even though I know it hurts) and coughing is actually good for you, although I avoided it and still do as it hurts! Actually, the dry cough is a symptom I never experienced, and if I had I might not still have the lung issue.

I too have experienced a little "depression", especially during the two weeks when the PPS was at its worst and I felt really horrible physically. For me being able to get out of the house and be around people has really helped. Try not to get too discouraged. If a friend or family member asks what they can do to help, have them come and pick you up and just take you for a drive, or to the mall, whatever, as long as you get of the house it does help. And talking to others can be helpful. I talked to Debbie and a few other heart surgery folks and that helped me too. Some days I just felt so horrible I couldn't talk to anyone or go anywhere though, so I do know how you feel.

Try not to be too discouraged. I am almost 7 weeks post-op and although I still have some lingering effects of the PPS, according to recent 64 slice CT, my surgery itself was a complete success with the valve repair and graft looking wonderful so that helped me immensely in dealing with the frustration of feeling bad~just knowing that once I got over the bump my heart is functioning very well and I am going to be just fine....you will too!

PPS Syndrome

PPS Syndrome

Thank you Harley girl for responding. I have been suffering from alot of axiety, and depression. I was all ready for a "normal echo" and I get zapped with this!
The pulse in the head was worrisome also. I asked my Dr. about it and he said it would eventually subside. I quess it has something to do with the extra fluid in the heart sack. I have an appt tomorrow for a consultation,and another echo. I certainly hope there is an improvement. I had a pericardial window to drain the fluid the first time. Then they prescribed colchicine. I am hoping for something positive!

Good luck, and all the best for your recovery.

Kathy

Kathy,

I am sorry to hear you have had such a rough go of things but try and stay optimistic and realize that this is "temporary" and things are definitely going to get better. Before you know it, this will all be a distant memory and your life will get back to normal. I am several weeks ahead of you and did not have nearly as serious a setback as you so give yourself time and try and stay positive (I tried to visualize myself doing something I really love, like riding my harley and hanging out with friends and just having that to look forward to kept me going). Just remember, we didn't undergo elective surgery here, it was necessary to save our life.
Good luck tomorrow with your echo and consultation. Keep us posted as to the results and take care!

harleygirl528 said:
Kathy,

Just remember, we didn't undergo elective surgery here, it was necessary to save our life.

That's exactly what Tom's surgeon said when he came out of the operation. I think that if he hadn't had the surgery, any run for a plane, heavy lifting, etc. and I might have lost my husband. So what you all go through is just incredible and I don't know how some one can go through what you all have without the consequent bumps. Tom is certainly having his and I imagine they will change as he heals and will eventually diminish (I pray - and I'm not religious) in time. The anxiety and depression will subside. I remember reading in Adam Pick's book about his seeking counseling with someone who was experienced with OHS patients. In my personal life, when I've had the need, I've taken advantage of therapists and have been very thankful that I was able to avail myself of their services. This forum is wonderful and certainly has helped us.

Kathy M. I wish you a good report and a continued positive recuperation. I'm thinking of you and certainly wanting the best for you.

Judith

Tuesday Dr's appt.

Tuesday Dr's appt.

Thanks for responding to my problem. The echo report was good. There is less fluid than the one that was taken after the pericardial window! The fluid is not completely gone however so I am still on the medication. I will probably need to continue with the meds for several months. I have still another Dr. appt this coming Tuesday. Hope the echo continues to be positive.

All the best with your recovery! Kathy

toughcookie said:
I hear my pulse differently with different situations. The moment I start to catch a cold, it sounds like it's ticking through water. If I breathe really deep, it thumps and doesn't tick at all. I've learned to get used to it instead of being afraid of it.
I hear my pulse in my head also. wasn't sure what the noise is from. also , hear cracking noises inside my head when I swivel my head around in a circular motion.

Latest posts

Back