Healing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanvs

Hello all. Just after peoples experiences. Regarding my scar/sternum, is there anything to look out for that would signal that its not healing properly? As an example, twice ive coughed and felt a pop in my sternum (once in hospital). I was told its fine, no problems. There was a dull ache after but not much else. Also, i accidentally over stretched today and felt my scar pull. It hurt but settled down. No redness, weeping etc. I guess im just paranoid but my sternum/scar area has been hurting more the last few days. Just tightness and aches depending on the way I move. Is it possible to do serious damage just doing basic movements or am i worrying too much? The most i do is eat, get dressed and play video games :). Thanks all.

Hi Ryan - the popping noise is something that seems to happen for quite a while and is fine. I was told it's the sternum, ribs and ligaments etc all settling back in place after being pulled apart during surgery. The sternum area will hurt more as the local anaesthetic and things wear off (they inject a local at the time of surgery). My sternum hurt for weeks and weeks and I was told it was normal: "been hit by a truck" senario which they don't tell your pre-surgery - I wonder why ? One reason I was given to start cardiac rehab at about 8 weeks post op is that it would help with the sternum pain. You can't do serious damage because your sternum is well wired (six days post surgery I fell on my sternum, extremely painful but no harm done). I see you're just over one week post surgery - do try and do some walking even if it's just to and fro in your living room, and do the breathing exercises you were given in hospital. All the best !

Hi

Ryanvs;n864770 said:
Hello all. Just after peoples experiences. Regarding my scar/sternum, is there anything to look out for that would signal that its not healing properly?
  • failure of the wound to properly close,
  • weeping of liquid from the wound,
  • swelling or persistent redness
  • discomfort around the wound
  • grinding feeling from the sternum and a feeling (with finger either side of the sternum) of movement
(unless you're being treated by a veterinarian (as seems to be commonly the case in NZ)your team should pick that up.

As an example, twice ive coughed and felt a pop in my sternum (once in hospital). I was told its fine, no problems.

much like cracking your knuckles ... its ok.

...No redness, weeping etc. I guess im just paranoid but my sternum/scar area has been hurting more the last few days.

good

Just tightness and aches depending on the way I move. Is it possible to do serious damage just doing basic movements or am i worrying too much? The most i do is eat, get dressed and play video games :). Thanks all.

sounds all A-Ok

now, don't forget to do your walking!!! Its important to get exersize ... even if you can only shuffle around then do it.

every day...

or you'll cop a spanking...

best wishes :)

Thank you both very much for your responses! Very reassuring! They were a bit light on with info re wound care (other than the usual pamphlets explainingwhat you can/cant do)Oh, yes i excercise too. My rehab calls for 3x5-10 minute walks each day this week and next with some basic kneck stretches. I was surprised how tiring this is! Even having arvo naps and in bed by 9 or so... im 31 haha. Thanks once again.

Latest posts

Back