Hawthorne or other beta blocker replacements

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregjohnsondsm

I have recently read some reports on Hawthorne (specifically CardoFX) for replacement of beta blockers in lowering blood pressure and possibly lowering cholesterol too. I am skeptical of these things usually, but have read pilots that claim hawthorne has helped them lower BP and it isn't on the list of bad drugs the FAA posts. So it helps with maintaining medical certificate. Although that is less of an issue now with the pilots bill of rights, I am still interested in getting off all medications after my AVR surgery.
My current cardiologist says to stay on Metropolol (25mg 2xday) That it is an old drug, known issues, well tolerated, I'm taking a low dose so just continue it. That is his recommendation.
I could not find much on Hawthorne on this site and was wondering if anyone has first hand experience with the substance?

I don't know, Greg. If this Hawthorne is, as I suspect it is, a retail supplement, do you really want to trust your heart health to a product that is not controlled to the same medical standards for dosage and purity that prescription meds are? And what would it accomplish that the metoprolol does not? You are just trading a drug for a supplement, but still taking a chemical that is supposed to have an effect on your system.

Metoprolol is long into generic production, so the docs have no economic incentive to prescribe it. If Hawthorne was so good, wouldn't docs recommend it, too? What are you really going to gain in the switch?

And. . . maybe the reason you can't find much information about Hawthorne on their site is that there isn't much information to be had. I'd either stay with the metoprolol or talk with your doc about a substitute if you have a problem with your current meds. (I've been taking metoprolol for about 6 years now, and aside from working with my cardio to gradually reduce the dosage, I have no issues with it.)

Steve,
the problem is that I agree with you. But long ago on a far away island called Jamaica I had an old man (shaman type Rasta guy) tell me to only put things in my body that god had created, not man. Specifically he was talking about mushrooms and weed vs cocaine and heroin. But I have found the advice to be solid in other cases as well. (think processed foods vs natural foods)

I am finding that after surgery I have slowly started to gain weight, even tho my diet is maintained (fish / vegetables / no fast food / moderate portions) And some have claimed issues with diabetic problems related to metoprolol. One of the reasons I went with the 3300TFX Bovine valve was to not have to take warfarin. I would like to not take anything in tablet form if possible.
And I do agree with you that if I was to switch to some form of Hawthorn I would strive to find it in its natural form.
Which may be fantasy really as I probably could not eat 12 lbs of berries every day, or whatever the recommended dose is.

What started this search was that the FAA frowns on some types of medication and there were pilots reporting similar blood pressure reductions with Hawthorn while not having to report this 'drug' to the FAA. It made me curious as usually pilots are not to quick to report miracle effects with no real evidence.

I will remain on metoprolol until I return to NW and review with the cardiologist there next fall.

Back