Having a colonoscopy while staying on warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consuela

I am scheduled to have my 5 year colonoscopy. The last time I had it I got off my warfarin and had the bridging with lovenox. I had the colonoscopy and the cardio kept me on the injections for a few more days. After the third day I almost passed out and had a bloody stool. I thought I was going to get a stroke. The bottom line was I stopped the injections and went back to my medicine (warfarin) I do not want to go through that again. I have my own machine and I can get my INR readings down to where they (doctors) want it, but my cardio wants me to get the injections again. I will not do it. My gastro is willing to do it my way, but he needs the cardio's approval,which he will not give. So I am in a quandry. Has anyone else had a colonoscopy by just lowering their INR's into the range that was good for the procedure? Thanking you all for your help in this matter.

Check out the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy for their guidelines for remaining on warfarin. They say it's OK to remain on warfarin for a colonoscopy, and even to have polyps removed. Maybe that will convince your cardio. If not maybe your gasro and have a word directly with your cardio.

Latest posts

Back