Has anyone gone to Cleveland Clinic alone?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The refrigerator was no problem for me as long as I opened it with my left hand, since my minimally invasive incision (which was about 5 inches long) was on the right side. Reaching up to put dishes on all but the lowest cabinet shelves wasn't happening for a while, though.

All very good and useful tips. I tend to stock up with sales even normally. Many thanks to you both!

I would highly recommend atleast going for a 2nd opinion at Cleveland Clinic no matter where you live. Money is the least of your concern.
Kalahasti is the cardiologist that you would want to make an appointment with. Now there are 2 doctors that are the absolute best in the world with aneursym and valve repair. Roselli is now doing more abdominal then ascending but you can request him but currently he is 3-4 months out. He is younger and is up with the newest trends. More endo vascular which does not help us with the ascending type. Now the best surgeon in the entire world for ours with a valve would be Dr Svensson. Now I know some of you have had other doctors and outcome was good and you believe that your doctor is the best and I respect that. I go by the numbers.
Last year CC performed 5000 heart procedures. Dr Svensson performed 450 of them. The chance of something going wrong is .5% (death)
No other place or surgeon has these numbers. Most are 1-3%. Also risk of stroke and brain damage is the lowest at CC then anywhere else in the world. Do your own research.
Get your 2nd opinion there. You can also use my name if you'd like.
Dr Svensson saved my life!!

Thank you so much, Kloned. I have indeed read how excellent their outcomes are. Thus far, I received a remote-consult second opinion from Dr. Soltesz at CC.

Before I set up surgery, I am trying to get some answers locally regarding my near-inability to tolerate oral medication. I have nearly a page-long list of medication I can't take.

I too cannot take any meds. They make me throw up or get very nausiated. I can only take Tramadol and ibuprofen. First 5 days are the worse. After that it gets easier.

For what it's worth, I am extremely happy with my choice to go to a local hospital in Phoenix. My cardiologist recommended a fantastic surgeon, and I went to the hospital he operates at. My hospital was a good hospital but actually not ranked in cardiology. It was more about the surgeon than the hospital for me, since he's the one actually doing the cutting!! However, what I think was most beneficial about being at a local hospital for me was that my cardiologist came and visited me in the hospital every day. This was extremely helpful as I had a couple complications and he was able to work through those with me, and advise me what to do. Additionally, because of the complications I now have to see an electrophysiologist, so I'm able to continue seeing the same one that saw me in the hospital (and he actually used to work at the Cleveland Clinic so best of both worlds there I guess!) For me, those were some of the positives of being close to home.

I also had minimally invasive surgery, and was able to manage while my husband was at work during the day. I could open the fridge door with my left arm, but couldn't lift anything too heavy or reach up high. That being said, being in the car wasn't the most enjoyable, and I think I would have struggled with flying right after surgery....

Best of luck with your decision!

Thank you so much for both of your comments.

I'm so glad your local choice worked out very well, Jamieann.

Latest posts

Back