Has anyone either started or returned to Pilates after sternotomy?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeanie

I am very interested in trying this, as it is supposed to be great for 'core' strength. From what little I know about it though, it looks as if it might be too strenuous, at least right now (I am only not quite 9 weeks post-op). I would love to find out if anyone knows about this. It would be a means to an end, not a pursuit of its own; the core strength part should be helpful for the next paragraph endeavor.

Also, what about horseback riding? To anyone not familiar with that sport, a few hazards are saddles are heavy (even English ones) and have to be lifted up to be placed on horse, horses sometimes like to 'head-butt' humans if they have not been taught better manners, and some horses will make sudden movements of a sideways nature (think levitation and teleportation) that can be challenging to move along with.

Exercise Stuff

Exercise Stuff

I cannot think of any reasons that would prevent someone from engaging in pilates after the sternum is healed up. I don't do pilates, but I do a lot of other activity stuff that puts more stress and strain on my sternum than pilates would. So far, I've not had any sternum issues.

Likewise, horseback riding should present no major issues specific to your sternum once it's healed. This isn't to say that horseback riding activities don't hold the potential for injuries. I used to own a horse and rode a lot long before I had heart surgery; I even worked cattle on my grandfather's ranch on my horse. No, my horse never head butted me, but different horses have different personalities.

I did suffer some injuries due to "wrecks." My right ankle is unstable from an accident where I got hung-up in a stirrup and was dragged. I got a broken wrist from a fall. My horse kicked the tail lights out of my car one night. She broke my saddle a couple of times. I got head injuries and shoulder injuries...gosh, I miss my horse.

Would I take up riding again? Absoultely! Could I afford to take up riding again? Nope! Horse folks would probably disagree, but horses tend to be rather expensive. I got out of the horse business when I got married because I couldn't afford to support my family and my horse.

AVR surgery is about getting problems fixed so one can get on with his/her life. While others have undoubtedly had different experiences, I kinda do what I want.

-Philip

Yup, we bought this farm when boarding 2 horses became more costly than a mortgage....
Years ago I had terrible rotator cuff probs in my shoulder and I bought a Wintec synthetic english saddle, it was good for those achey days, but of course could not compare with my fine German made Stubben saddle.
You could buy a used synthetic saddle for a reasonable price and always re-sell it again when you feel stronger.

Thanks for those updates! Bina, do you still have the Stubben? What model is it? (just wondering, that is one of my 3 fave brands). The saddle I like most is the heaviest unfortunately, a Jorge Canaves dressage one that gives me a really secure seat, but my lightest one might be the one to start with, a Lane Fox cutback.
I am lucky that I have friends who have some smooth and gentle horses for me to ride when I start back into it. Eventually I hope to afford a horse of my own, but as Philip said, they are expensive to maintain.
thinking positive...

Last edited:
Hi Jeanie,

Once your sternum is healed (fully at 12 weeks) you should have no problem getting into strength training and core work, Pilates included. Just ease into it, which you would (should) need to do after laying off exercise for a while or starting something new anyway.

oh yes, you can do your pilates and ride again! Just give yourself time to heal fully. We have several riders here, and if I still were "horsey" I'd probably be riding still.
You'll find most of us made some stupid overexhertion error around the 8 week mark, for which we paid with aches, pains and general fear for a few days, but after that, things get better.
Just make haste slowly. Your body will let you know if you over do it.

Back