Happy 1st Birthday to my heart valve!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimv

Celebrating 1 year today since I got my new aortic (tissue) heart valve. I was diagnosed last May and in surgery 2 months later with what we would come to find out was actually a unicuspid aortic valve. I remember being so nervous for the surgery. Mostly about who would care for my 2 young children while I recovered. But honestly, the thing I remember being the worst was the extreme thirst the first night in the hospital after the surgery and the difficulty sleeping when i got home. I had my operation at MGH by Dr. Jennifer Walker and they were amazing.

I have been incredibly lucky to have recovered quickly. Back to work (I teach) by September, taking no meds except aspirin and resumed my daily activity 6 weeks post-op. I had one bout with endocarditis not long after the surgery which was more painful than the surgery. But even that wasn't too bad and just treated with Advil. Last week I ran my first 5k since the surgery and I am planning to run a half marathon before I turn 40!

I still worry when I get tired or I am feeling off that something will go wrong - but right now all is well.

I just wanted to thank everyone in his group. I was pretty much addicted to this site for the months before and after the surgery. I have since stopped coming because my life needed to get back to normal and it is...except for my super woman scar.

Hope this message finds everyone well.
Kim

Latest posts

Back