Happy 1st Birthday to my heart valve!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimv

Celebrating 1 year today since I got my new aortic (tissue) heart valve. I was diagnosed last May and in surgery 2 months later with what we would come to find out was actually a unicuspid aortic valve. I remember being so nervous for the surgery. Mostly about who would care for my 2 young children while I recovered. But honestly, the thing I remember being the worst was the extreme thirst the first night in the hospital after the surgery and the difficulty sleeping when i got home. I had my operation at MGH by Dr. Jennifer Walker and they were amazing.

I have been incredibly lucky to have recovered quickly. Back to work (I teach) by September, taking no meds except aspirin and resumed my daily activity 6 weeks post-op. I had one bout with endocarditis not long after the surgery which was more painful than the surgery. But even that wasn't too bad and just treated with Advil. Last week I ran my first 5k since the surgery and I am planning to run a half marathon before I turn 40!

I still worry when I get tired or I am feeling off that something will go wrong - but right now all is well.

I just wanted to thank everyone in his group. I was pretty much addicted to this site for the months before and after the surgery. I have since stopped coming because my life needed to get back to normal and it is...except for my super woman scar.

Hope this message finds everyone well.
Kim

Back