Hair color changed after surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bw00

Hi everyone, so a little bit of a strange question. I recently went to my hairdresser and she asked me whether I had recently dyed my hair. I haven't in years. Then she pointed out a difference in my hair color near my roots. It went around my entire head, like I hadn't touched up the hair color at my roots for a while. She asked me when my surgery was and said that it could be because of the big change your body goes through after open heart surgery. Now my question was if any of you maybe have had the same thing happen to you?
Berit

Berit, I did not notice any change in color, but my hair started falling out about 4 or 5 months after surgery. This lasted for about 2 months and then slowly returned to normal. For a while it looked like I was going to loose a lot of hair, but thankfully it grew all back.

WHAT, I have below the waist red hair. I am now 12 weeks post AVR, my hair hasn't changed colour, not as yet and hopefully won't fall out but it is a little more wayward/less compliant than usual, I thought it was just me. Is there nothing this surgery won't affect ??

Red

Hair loss after major surgery is common. In addition, it can affect your fingernails. They stop growing due to the trauma and then restart, leaving a noticeable ridge as the nail grows out. I have not read about a change of hair color though.

My fingernails did not change in texture, nor did my hair change color. Your hairdresser might have been playing mind games with you. But be sure not to panic when you do lose hair for a time. I still do at time, but due to medication. Hugs for everybody today. :)

I noticed that my hair had more grey in it after surgery. Also, since my hospital's usual protocol included 3 months' of Coumadin even for tissue valvers, I noticed that the Coumadin thinned my hair quite a bit. Once I was able to stop the Coumadin, that reversed. The grey did not reverse -- but on a guy it just looks dignified. . .

Steve, your hair thinning was probably due to your operation and not the coumadin. Hair loss due to any type of surgery is reversible in a few months.

Could be, tom. I'm just glad that it grew back.

My wife, however, had to take Coumadin for 6 months for another condition, and she says her hair thinned and didn't re-thicken even a couple of years after she stopped the Coumadin.

Back