Had OHS a year ago, Can I lift heavy?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warfarinking

I had my aortic valve replaced a little more than a year ago, and for some reason I never asked my DR, but I want to start working out and lifting heavy weights, however, was wondering if it was okay to do? I remember before I had my ohs DRs restricted me from working out since it put pressure on the heart or something. Thanks to anyone who replies!

It is generally determined on a case by case basis, in consultation with a doctor. Depending on your situation, it might make sense to evaluate hypertensive response or arterial pressure. Do you or did you have any aorta issues (dilation/anuerysm)? If so, that is one instance I know where the guidelines for management of patients post surgery do recommend minimizing heavy lifting. Alternative approaches, such as more repetitive lifting of lighter weights, are usually not discouraged though. Anyway, that's one scenario, but definitely consult with your doctor for your specific situation.

Yeah, definitely check with your docs on this one. Advice varies pretty significantly, but cardiologists do worry about the issues EL brought up.

For what it's worth, we have lots of athletes on here who do great. You'll likely be able to work out something with your doc that'll keep you active and happy.

Latest posts

Back