Had no idea

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVRjon

Ive been googling long term recovery from a tricuspid valve replacement and i keep seeing basically im going to die within a few years in im lucky. Im scared to death. I had endocarditis and my valve went bad so they put a pig valve in. why is our survival rate so low? is this just a myth im reading about....i need help...im 36 and just had this valve put in this last april. now im scared to death im not gonna make it to see my daughter graduate.

I know nothing about tricuspid valve replacement but I can't believe that a surgeon would do anything to a 36 year old that was not intended to extend your life far beyond "a few years". Do a "search" on this forum and I think you will find many positive posts to ease your mind. FWIW, I got an aortic valve at age 31 and I'm still around at 87.

BTW, welcome to this forum.

thanks for the welcome. im so stressed im having full blown panic attacks all day long about it. i just cant find any literature that says that the 15 year survival rate is around 50%..i had endocarditis originallly that caused my valve to degrade....im just blown out of my mind that they never mentioned decreased life expe

Consider the average age of a valve replacement recipient. I’ll give a hint. It’s well north of 60. If you’re 65 and have a survival rate of ~15 years, that’s normal life expectancy.

I was 17 when I had my valve replaced. I’m 50 now. Married with five kids. I don’t feel like I’m on borrowed time at all.

Last edited:
You need to connect with some of the younger people here. I was 26 when my valve was replaced with tissue valve. Did it again at 34 with another tissue valve. I play ice hockey twice a week and don't even think about the fact that I had the valve replaced except during my yearly echo as its going to tell me its time for 3rd replacement which at this point will be mechanical. If you live a healthy style life you can expect to have a normal life expectancy. Talk with your cardiologist to ease your concerns. The stats are going to be heavily skewed due to the number of patients being later in life.

to add to what everyone has said; you need to have a keen understanding of how to search for information. No matter how good search engines are and no matter how much information is out there, you must ask the right questions to get meaningful answers.

Google "will I die" and you'll get yes.

So my advice (extending that of Dick and Superman) is to accept that you just don't know and stop panicking. In my view panic attacks are a manifestation of helplessness. Such a feeling comes from having the wrong idea about things.

Life is full of mystery and what we expect to happen often doesn't.

My advice to you is that keeping calm and attentive will probably save your life more than walking along reading your phone in the city, driving badly, not eating right, smoking, regular binge drinking ...

I suspect that part of your problem is that people today have the impression that they deserve something or are able to control what happens.

https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2015/09/denial-or-delusion.html
With all my personal parameters (of OHS and valvular problems) rational analysis would suggest I'd be dead before my friends. I'm not.

Take a breath and get back to what is in your power to control, which can only be how you react to something. Yes I've also faced the possibility I'd die but my approach was to understand the situation not panic about it.

Enjoy your life, you don't get two and you shouldn't waste the time you have with negative and self destructive thoughts.

Best Wishes

You need to connect with some of the younger people here.
or believe what the older people here say, because I was ten years old when I had my first OHS. I expect my mum was in panic because of that. Nobody knew I'd be sitting in front of a computer typing to someone at 60 years of age.

The difference between older people and younger people is that younger people aren't old yet and don't have that experience yet. I hope you get it.

Its easy to forget that before you were aware of anything, indeed before you were born we were young people, maybe even remember it well ... maybe even act like it some times.

which reminds me, we have lots of poisonous snakes here in Australia
(*warning notice: adult Australian language expressions of genuine surprise that it attempted to attack me)

even on my electric scooter they can have a go at ya.

Best Wishes

to add to what everyone has said; you need to have a keen understanding of how to search for information. No matter how good search engines are and no matter how much information is out there, you must ask the right questions to get meaningful answers.

Google "will I die" and you'll get yes.

So my advice (extending that of Dick and Superman) is to accept that you just don't know and stop panicking. In my view panic attacks are a manifestation of helplessness. Such a feeling comes from having the wrong idea about things.

Life is full of mystery and what we expect to happen often doesn't.

My advice to you is that keeping calm and attentive will probably save your life more than walking along reading your phone in the city, driving badly, not eating right, smoking, regular binge drinking ...

I suspect that part of your problem is that people today have the impression that they deserve something or are able to control what happens.

https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2015/09/denial-or-delusion.html
With all my personal parameters (of OHS and valvular problems) rational analysis would suggest I'd be dead before my friends. I'm not.

Take a breath and get back to what is in your power to control, which can only be how you react to something. Yes I've also faced the possibility I'd die but my approach was to understand the situation not panic about it.

Enjoy your life, you don't get two and you shouldn't waste the time you have with negative and self destructive thoughts.

Best Wishes
Thank you for all the good positive feedback

I would listen to Nobog any day. He's a physician (as far as I know) and is up to date on this stuff.

IF or WHEN your valve starts to fail, you'll feel it. Echocardiograms should show that it's failing. I don't think you'll run into a situation where it suddenly fails and you drop dead.

I've had my prosthetic valve (Aortic position) for 32 years a few days ago. It's still ticking away - but this old heart may be running into other issues that may be (and may not be) partially related to the valve. I've outlived my grandfather who died of a 'coronary' before I was born (maybe I got this bicuspid aortic valve from him, thanks Grandpa), and whose death may have been more related to valve failure than other issues that they called 'heart attack.'

Relax. Don't listen to bad stuff from non-experts. The stress of worrying that your valve will fail sooner rather than later isn't helping your situation.

Live a normal life and be glad that you've gotten much (if not more) strength than you had before the surgery.

FWIW, in my younger years, under 60, I had three close friends and we all agreed (over a couple beers) that I would be the first to go. They are all dead now. Most of my later golfing buddies and neighbor friends have died. "God willing and the creek don't rise" I will be here tomorrow(?)

Last edited:
Hi
Thank you for all the good positive feedback
you're welcome. Sometimes all that's needed is to step back from it and see more of it in context.

One thing I'll say about this place is that (in the main) the people here are folks who have had challenges and overcome them. Because we all need to hear "you'll be right mate" in some specifically unique way, having more of us to say that may just click the tumblers in your lock.

If I was in your position I'd put my energy into building a good home for your daughter and be there as you can for her. Build her strong, self reliant and confident. Never tell a little girl that the world is going to end (and don't look or act as if it is because kids don't listen to your words they are instead excellent assessors of your actions).

Stick around here if you're inclined, ask questions if you have them. However compared to having cancer or a brain tumor we've got it easy.

Best Wishes

You need to connect with some of the younger people here. I was 26 when my valve was replaced with tissue valve. Did it again at 34 with another tissue valve. I play ice hockey twice a week and don't even think about the fact that I had the valve replaced except during my yearly echo as its going to tell me its time for 3rd replacement which at this point will be mechanical. If you live a healthy style life you can expect to have a normal life expectancy. Talk with your cardiologist to ease your concerns. The stats are going to be heavily skewed due to the number of patients being later in life.
Hello fellow hockey player! I’m getting a mechanical sometime in the next few months. I’m curious - do you think you’ll still play hockey once you’re in the Warfarin club?

I’m leaning towards playing occasionally, but at a much lower / less competitive level. (Feel free to DM me if you’d prefer)

I haven’t yet had my replacement, but just want to let you know that you’re not alone in feeling the way that you do. I’m 41 with a 5 year old daughter, and my initial reaction was exactly the same as yours.

Most of the folks here will (likely correctly!) say not to worry too much - but you should also know that there are a lot of lurkers on this board who see you, and admitting how you feel is super helpful.

I will say my mom had a pig mitral valve put in in 2005-she was VERY ill at the time. Couldn't walk across the street. The valve was damaged due to childhood rheumatic fever. She was 65. Her 83rd birthday is next month and that piggy still going strong! I think you have every reason to expect you will live a good long life-tons of people on here are doing just that. Best wishes to you!

Ive been googling long term recovery from a tricuspid valve replacement and i keep seeing basically im going to die within a few years in im lucky. Im scared to death. I had endocarditis and my valve went bad so they put a pig valve in. why is our survival rate so low? is this just a myth im reading about....i need help...im 36 and just had this valve put in this last april. now im scared to death im not gonna make it to see my daughter graduate.
Write down your questions and talk to your doctor. You wouldn’t be learning on your own for the first time that you’ll be dead in a few years based on some googling.

If you are reading the papers on your own and you’ve convinced yourself you’re lucky to be alive in a few years … you are reading them wrong, probably interpreting everything incorrectly and in the worst light to freak yourself out.

Stop reading 🛑 deep breath 😮‍💨 let a professional who does this for a living interpret it for you.

I'm 38, and just had a mechanical aortic valve put in. Second surgery, had a valve sparing aortic root replacement when I was 30. I also looked up life expectancy and was shocked when I saw how short it was, then I talked myself off the ledge. Math, the average age of heart valve patients is way older then I am. We are outliers.

Latest posts

Back