Got mt Inratio 2, but they sent me the wrong lancets - can I use these?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielB

Hello everyone,

I finally got my hands on my home INR machine today - an Inratio 2 with a starter set of supplies. It was supposed to include a box of (200) the Inratio Unistik 21g lancets, but it came with another brand that is 28g x 1.6mm depth -- are those an okay subsitute or should I be getting on the phone asking for the Unistik ones?

I'm new to this so this size thing is all greek to me.

Thanks!

Dan

Hi Dan,

My Inratio-2 meter came with two varieties of the "thin" 23 gauge (orange color) lancets. I've been using those successfully for about a year. The higher gauge numbers will be thinner needles. You can google to get the exact diameter for each gauge size.

If you get a good drop of blood from the "ultra-thin" 28g lancets, then you are good to go. Usually, you will get an in-home training session from the meter manufacturer representative if you got the meter via prescription. During the in-home training session, you can try out the ultra-thin 28g needle and see if it works well. If not, then you will know that you probably need the thicker (23g) needle and can get a new batch from the Inratio2 folks then. The thicker 23g ("thin") or 21g ("regular") needles should produce more blood at the lancing site, but the ultra-thin 28g needles should hurt less. So, probably best to use the thinnest needle that gives an adequate drop of blood for the test.

Congratulations on joining the home-testing crowd.

For whatever reason, I'm using the 21 gauge lancets. I have HUNDREDS of these lancets -- PM me if you'd like me to send you a box.

The 21 gauge work well for me - I'm not sure if a 28 gauge would work for me. What you've got to remember is that you should use the FIRST drop of blood, you're supposed to put it onto the strip within fifteen seconds of making the incision, and you're not supposed to 'milk' the blood out of your finger. I sometimes have enough trouble getting a large enough drop using a 21 gauge lancet -- I'd be concerned about having to squeeze the blood out if I used a smaller 28 gauge lancet.

If the 28 doesn't work for you, I'd probably call the vendor who sold you your setup and ask for a 21 or 23 gauge lancet.

Thaks for the responses. All good info. I suspected these were different enough I should not risk trying them. I'm going to contact the supplier and see about getting the 28g ones replaced with the 21g ones I ordered as they I will be using them for a long time. I already paid for them, so I should just get what is called out for this use.

The 21 gauge lancets provide a nice quick little slice on a variety of skin types. Smaller needles are usually used for diabetics who only
need a tiny drop of blood.
enjoy your new monitor !

Latest posts

Back