Gorgeous Jemez Pottery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis S

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Many of you may recall a previous posting of the Jemez Eagle dancer. His name is John Toya. John's sister is Lepeta, married to Lawrence Yepa.

The entire Toya family are excellent potters. I think I posted some pictures of the nativity scene that John created for me. I recently took some pictures of pottery created by Lawrence and Lepeta for submission to a juried art show in Santa Fe. There are a total of four pots to view.

I hope you enjoy. (Lapeta and Lawrence make a good part of their living from the sale of pottery, and if this piques the interest of anyone, please drop me a PM).

http://jemezphoto.smugmug.com/Nativ...z-Pottery/10959912_st4Qq#765828296_dpFFS-L-LB

A late reply.

A late reply.

We are visiting our daughter in Colorado Springs, and this is the first opportunity to read your responses, and prepare a reply. The white feather you see in the first bowl is commonly seen in the Yepa's pottery. This one is not as noticeable as many. That feather, especially on other pots they have made is amazing. It is painted on the pot, each line about the size of a human hair, and each curved line perfectly done.

John Toya has talked to me about the feather which symbolizes prayers. Where the strands of the feather point point up it symbolizes prayers that ascend, and strands pointing downward (with the tip of the feather pointed up) symbolizes prayers from above. I think pretty much the things you see here are determined mostly by family tradition. I have gotten to the point where I often know which family created a particular pot.

Back