Google Health

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have mixed feelings about this. Google has launched their new Google Health website that will let you store your medical records online. Now, I am a bit squeemish when it comes to sharing that information online. Just how secure is it, etc. Microsoft launched something a while back, and I setup an account with them for it and entered some information (nothing vital, but just enough to get the feel of it.) Bottom line, I didn't like the MS thing, and the pure fact that MS is hosting it, really sends ice through my veins.

Anyhow, has anyone experimented with the Google one? I'm just curious as to how it works and general impressions. I'm not sure if this market is ready for this type of technology yet, especially with all the HIPPA laws. And that is another question, I wonder how they are dealing with the HIPPA security laws.

FYI... Medic Alert also has something similar, but they charge a premium for it.

I'd be worried about that too. Did you ever Google your name? And even worse Google any of the names you use on websites. You can find posts that you've written from many years in the past.

How does anyone know that everything would be safe and secure.

True Bina, but if they have to follow HIPPA laws (and that is a big if), I would think they should be safe.

From reading about the site, it looks like you can download your records from your doctors somehow. I'm not sure how that all works, but it sounds interesting.

I'll have to look at the Google website. I already have my records stored with Medic-Alert, which is a non-profit organization, so I don't think I'd want to store info anywhere else.

I'd be worried about that too. Did you ever Google your name? And even worse Google any of the names you use on websites. You can find posts that you've written from many years in the past.

Nancy raises a really good point.
I've googled my name and discovered several other women with the same first & last name. My first name isn't a common one, and my last name certainly isn't. Years ago B.C. (before computers), we did bank-by-phone. A payment for my Neiman's card went to another Neiman's customer by the same first & last name. After that, I began using my maiden name w/ last name or maiden initial w/ last name.

i just checked Google Health. It's only useful if your doctors and pharmacy can link with Google Health. I don't know too many doctors who are that technologically advanced. All of our doctors are part of the Mayo system, which shares internal information just fine, but has overall yet to embrace modern communications.

Case in point: You can now receive Mayo scheduling notices via e-mail. You go to their website and enter your name, clinic number and e-mail address. Guess the action that Mayo takes next:

:D They ask you to create a password.

:cool: They send you a temporary password, which you use to access your account, and then you create your own password.

:eek: They assign you a stupid password.

:mad: They tell you to download a permission form, sign it, and MAIL it to them so they can be absolutely sure you want to receive scheduling reminders via e-mail.

Well, which one did you choose? Did you choose #4, because it sounds the most ridiculous? Well, you are WRONG. Below is the REAL answer:

:eek: You ask them to MAIL you a permission form. You sign it and MAIL it back to them. Then they assign you a stupid password, which they deliver.... by MAIL.

This is how they set up their e-mail scheduling reminders.

If this is how they handle appointment reminders via e-mail, I think it's safe that they won't be allowing patients to access records on line until the year 3000.

I'd be worried about that too. Did you ever Google your name?

You are confusing Google's search engine service with Google's new data-managing service.

Google owns one of many search engines. Other famous search engines are owned by Microsoft, Yahoo, AOL, Lycos, Ask and scores of others that are apparently still used by, I don't know, people who are nostolgic or something. Google rules, but it doesn't have 100% of the market.

Google also offers other services, like mail, maps and news.

Now they want to offer a medical data managing service. For free! Why, you may ask? Well, if you read the description, you realize that they encourage their members to use Google to research their medical conditions and search for doctors and hospitals. That means.... advertising revenue! Google is going to make sure you are happy with their data-managing service, because the more people use it, the more advertisers will pay Google for ads.

My husband recently received a letter that his Navy records may have been accessed. He was discharged from the Navy for medical reasons in 1979, long before computers were popular. Why his information wouldn't be archived by now I don't know.

My coworker received a letter a while back that her information on file with her Bank of America credit card may have been accessed. She was in the middle of planning a wedding and didn't think to cancel the card at the time. Yesterday she received a call that someone had charged $2000 to an online clothing company and asked the order to be delivered to Canada. They contacted her because it was unusual for a card that hadn't been used in almost a year to suddenly have a $2000 charge. (By the way, we looked up the company online and they sell ugly, cheap clothes. $2000 would have purchased at least 50-60 items.)

Some high school kids in the area recently hacked into their school's computers and changed some grades, not only on their own campus, but also on a campus across town.

So, in today's world, do I want my personal medical information online? HELL NO! I can just see the parade of junk mail that would occur if that information was leaked - funeral plans, personal injury lawyers, health nuts, etc.

So, in today's world, do I want my personal medical information online?

Not that I'm saying that anyone should use the Google service, but you DO realize that your info doesn't have to be stored under your actual name. You sign up for your own "Google ID." You can sign up as "Mr. Funnypants" and then upload your xrays so your cousin, the radiologist, can take a peek. Who is going to know it's you? And honestly, who is going to care? No one is going to profit from your xrays. You don't have to upload actual records, either; you can just input info manually so it's always available in an emergency. That is, if you don't mind telling your cousin that your secret alias is "Mr. Funnypants."

Well, since my cousin is not a Radiologist, I don't guess I have to worry about it. And my alias would be Mrs. Funnypants!

I was responding based on the original post that said "store your medical records online." Whether or not you use an alias, there is a link to your real identity. That's all it takes. Just like this website. Things can be tracked back to the computer that sent them.

Back